• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to "paint" the ground?

Country
canada
I'm sure this questions has been asked dozens of times already, but I didn't have any luck finding any answers so far, so I'll try it here:

How do I "fix" ground textures after I've removed incorrect vegetation? e.g. after I remove a large tree, there's still a big green spot on the texture beneath it:
patch.jpg

I cannot just put a polygon texture on top of it, as that will a) hardly ever give a good texture match, and b) will leave very obvious edges where the coverage ends.

Can I create a bitmap in Photoshop, and import that? And if so, what happens to those edges? Can they be defined (via alpha levels) to slowly fade out?

Or what's the best way to go about this?

P.S. Looks like somebody just posted a tutorial about this exact question:
And it worked like a charm... ;)

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Another approach:

You could take a screenshot of the surrounding area to more closely match the grass. Trim or resize to a power of 2 (say 512x512), and it should match pretty good.

Country
canada
Yeah, I watched that one too, but his example did NOT look very impressive (scale mismatch, extreme tiling, and hard edges).

Perhaps, if you apply it carefully enough, it does work, but his demonstration did not really convince me to try it out.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
There are sceneries that won't be airports, so aprons won't be available. You can control the scale, colorization, etc. with the creation of the material. Tiling can be controlled with the texture itself, or following things like fencelines with the poly. Hard edges are a problem, but you can have some transparency. For areas that are not airport addons, it's all we have.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
All that said, trying to use a textured poly with the 0600 SDK does not work for me. I can add water or terraforming , but not texture. Looking at the shapefile, it looks fine. So either it is not compiled correctly, or the newer version of the sim broke textured polys.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I have found out some textured polygons don't work with some of the material choices, or so it seems.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
You can now use aerial imagery to patch tiles. You can use an alpha channel in 32-bit PNG as a mask, to replace areas of tiles, if the whole tile is not needing replacement. The ordering of overlaying tiles is controlled alpha-numerically within the Community folder. Single tiles as in 1 and 3. Multiple tiles as in 2 and 4.

ordering.png

Aerial ordering.png