• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to relocate stock airport

I'm creating some replacements for stock airports that are at a wrong, outdated position. One example ist FNMO, which in MSFS is a dirt strip in the town of Namibe (which is long closed), while IRL it is an airport with a 2500 m asphalt runway, located some miles away from the town, having the same ICAO.
I created a project with two airport entries - the first one for the old, closed, the second one for the new. The aircraft spawns at the correct start or apron position at the new airport, however in the world map as well as in the GPS display the FNMO airport symbol is shown at the old place. Likewise, all route planning takes the old airport position. Interestingly, the runway direction and airport class of the symbol corresponds to the new one. See image (the red circle marks the place where I want the apt symbol to be).

1612284618590.png

What has to be changed in the xml code, for the airport position to be correct?

The code is all in the same xml file under package sources:
<Airport country="" city="" name="" ident="FNMO" lat="-15.21607802315490" lon="12.16555051233293" alt="70.00000000000000" magvar="6.000000" trafficScalar="0.700000" airportTestRadius="5000.00000000000000" applyFlatten="FALSE" isOnTIN="FALSE" closed="TRUE">
<TaxiName index="0" name=""/>
<Aprons/>
<PaintedElements/>
<ApronEdgeLights/>
<DeleteAirport deleteAllApproaches="TRUE" deleteAllApronLights="TRUE" deleteAllAprons="TRUE" deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" deleteAllHelipads="TRUE" deleteAllRunways="TRUE" deleteAllStarts="TRUE" deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE" deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE" deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE" deleteAllJetways="TRUE" deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE" deleteAllDepartures="TRUE" deleteAllArrivals="TRUE" deleteAllPaintedElements="TRUE" deleteAllLightSupports="TRUE" deleteAllTaxiwaySigns="TRUE" deleteAllILSs="TRUE" deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="TRUE" deleteAllTerminalNDBs="TRUE"/>
</Airport>
<Airport country="Angola" city="Namibe" name="Welwitschia mirabilis Airport" ident="FNMO" lat="-15.26130000000000" lon="12.14680000000000" alt="70.00000000000000" magvar="6.000000" trafficScalar="0.700000" airportTestRadius="5000.00000000000000" applyFlatten="FALSE" isOnTIN="FALSE">
.... runway, taxiways, aprons etc.
<DeleteAirport deleteAllApproaches="TRUE" deleteAllApronLights="TRUE" deleteAllAprons="TRUE" deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" deleteAllHelipads="TRUE" deleteAllRunways="TRUE" deleteAllStarts="TRUE" deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE" deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE" deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE" deleteAllJetways="TRUE" deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE" deleteAllDepartures="TRUE" deleteAllArrivals="TRUE" deleteAllPaintedElements="TRUE" deleteAllLightSupports="TRUE" deleteAllTaxiwaySigns="TRUE" deleteAllILSs="TRUE" deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="TRUE" deleteAllTerminalNDBs="TRUE"/>
</Airport>

As far as I know, it's not yet possible to modify default airport. You need to create the airport with different ICAO (try assigning 5-letter ICAO like FNMO1). Sounds weird but nothing we can do yet. Hope this help, and if I'm wrong don't hesitate to correct me :)

As far as I know, it's not yet possible to modify default airport. You need to create the airport with different ICAO (try assigning 5-letter ICAO like FNMO1). Sounds weird but nothing we can do yet. Hope this help, and if I'm wrong don't hesitate to correct me :)
You can delete the stock airport by dedete the file from “\Official\OneStore\fs-base\scenery\****\APX*****.bgl” , then you can use the right ICAO to create the custom airport. I use ADE for FSX to check the file name. If someone can tell me the naming principal of the bgl file,that would be very nice.

PS, this trick is only for the situation which you want to move the ARP(airport reference point)

You can delete the stock airport by dedete the file from “\Official\OneStore\fs-base\scenery\****\APX*****.bgl” , then you can use the right ICAO to create the custom airport. I use ADE for FSX to check the file name. If someone can tell me the naming principal of the bgl file,that would be very nice.

PS, this trick is only for the situation which you want to move the ARP(airport reference point)
Hmm interesting, I never knew this is possible. Interesting for me to try too, since there's an airport in my country that never exist in real life but using ICAO code of a real airport located ~4000 KM away. I'll post an update if this is possible

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Deleting files from stock files or deleting stock files is definitely not recommended. Most APX files contain multiple airports so removing such a file would lose all the airports.

it is not possible to unpack, correct and recompact the apx files, until now? Because I have a wrong icao code on Italy an airstrip that have icao code of an helipad

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
airportTestRadius="5000.00000000000000" isn't enough to add the new airport from the reference location of the old airport I think. Try 20000.0 and see if you can relocate the airport.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
The above will allow you to place everything (runways, aprons,...) but it retains the old ICAO and the old map location.
A different solution is to use a new ICAO identifier (such as FNMO1) and close the old airport. This will display correctly in the sim's maps, but you lose the original ICAO. I attach an example of this.

I don't know of any other way (yet) to simply close an old airport and create a new one with the same ICAO.

There are 2 limitations in the sim here. One is that we can't recycle an ICAO, and another is that the sim claims it's using ICAOs when in fact it is using a very limited 5 character airport identifier. This leads to airports being misnamed, as many smaller airfields, heliports, military bases, and water bases don't use an ICAO, and sometimes have as many as 8 characters for a real-world ID. The latest DevMode only allows a 4 character identifier to be added, although it will load 5 character IDs in pre-existing xml code. (Another poor decision).

Attachments

• naimbeNEW.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 9