• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX How to remove drag Chute from aircraft model

Country
us-texas
I am trying to convert a "flying" B-52 aircraft to a static scenery object. I run the a/c thru SAMM which creates an .mdl file. I then take that into MCX (1.6.0.0) and it displays as shown. What I need to do is remove the Drag Chute from the a/c, leaving it stationary, with wheels down.

Can I do this within MCX? If yes, than a simple tutorial will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• B-52 conversion animation question.jpg
    B-52 conversion animation question.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 37

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If the drag chute has a separate material you can remove it by selecting that material and removing it in the material editor. If the drag chute shares the material with other parts of the model there is no way in MCX to remove it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
A couple of things to try.

Load your SAMM file with CollapseModelParts FALSE. In the Hierarchy Editor find the chute parts and Remove them (if they are separate).

Bring the original aircraft file into MCX with CollapseModelParts FALSE. Then in the Hierarchy Editor find the chute parts and Remove them (if they are separate). Then run through SAMM.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ok, if the texture is not unique to the chute, then Arno's and Tom's technique probably won't work. Tom's might, can't really tell, certainly should try it. Aside from that, there is another, possible way. Click and drag the animation slider from one end, to the other. If, during that action, the parachute disappears, then sequentially untick the boxes in the animation editor, until you have found the one(s) that correspond to that animation. You'll want to check them all, in case there are multiples. Once you have all of them, untick all boxes except the parachute animation boxes, slide the animation until the chute disappears, click "Fix Selected Animations" and that will freeze the parachute hidden. Then you can proceed with your conversion.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Good suggestions. If the source model is pre-FSX than using the CollapseModelParts is FALSE option could indeed help to get a separate part for the chute. But for FSX/P3D models that does not work.

If the part has an animation you should also be able to find the model part in the hierarchy editor and remove it from there. That's an alternative to fixing the animations.

Country
us-texas
Thanks to arno, =rk=, and tgibson for the assistance and suggestions. I think I've manage to get my head around the steps in the process to create what I need.

MCX and SAMM are both extremely comprehensive tool kits, and it's hard for a novice like me to scrape my way through to find the right tool for the job.

Many Thanks
Al