• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to texture a radome ("ball")

Country
germany
Hi,

I'm thinking how I could get my radome corretly textured.

1627057191085.png

You see those parts are repeating at the upper part of the radome and in the lower part its more randomly.
But until now I do not have an idea how to get such a texture done.

I have modelled a simple ball in blender and I use Substance Painter for texturing. But I'm clueless how to get such things properly textured.
Any hints how to proceed?

1627057304007.png

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
GMAX has something called Spherical UVW Mapping. Does Blender have something similar?

Here, convert this map of the world into a map of your radome:

Country
germany
Hi!
Substance Painter has "spherical UV mapping" -> But how can I create this texture itself so that it fits?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You'll need to UV unwrap in Blender first and yes, Blender does have a spherical unwrap. First, assign materials within Blender then UV unwrap it. From there, export the model for SP.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It seems like you'd have to compose your texture like an orange peel, which lays flat on the table, but wraps the orange seamlessly. You would need to apply a function of the diameter of the dome, to the "radius" of the unwrap.

1627083906783.jpeg

Or this:

OrangePeelProFuller.jpg

Country
japan
If me I'll make the modeling itself like this
And use Unwrap UVW
I think what you want is a clear straight line.

Think with the textures and make the edge
Image1.jpg

Country
germany
If me I'll make the modeling itself like this
And use Unwrap UVW
I think what you want is a clear straight line.

Think with the textures and make the edge View attachment 75447

I also thought about something like this - but how to start? The goal is to get the "Radom Wasserkuppe" modelled.
I'm not struggling with the unwrap itself (at least I think so). I'm struggling how to get a texture which is similar to the reality.

So I like the idea to get the "lines" actually in the model itself, but also there I do not know how to start to get it "working" over the full "ball".

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
So I like the idea to get the "lines" actually in the model itself, but also there I do not know how to start to get it "working" over the full "ball".
There are actually quite a few ways. Apparently, you do not wish to work out the mathematics, of what dimension and shape you would need to construct a texture, such that it seamlessly UV wrapped your dome, just like an orange.

So ok, you have part of it. Part of the dome looks right and part looks skewed. So you break your dome into four hemispheres, lay your texture cleanly over each hemisphere and then combine them. Now, your unwrap equation, has been "simplified," such that each "triangle" of the face of each hemisphere, needs to seamlessly meet it's neighbor. I don't know, but it might be easier to do that kind of calculus math for a sphere, instead of for four hemispheres.

Finally, you can get down to the tile, itself. The dome is constructed that way, because each "tile" rolls seamlessly into it's neighbor, like a soccer ball. You could make a texture of the one tile, and then build your dome, from there.

Country
japan
Seems not understanding
What I am saying is
Using that ball itself is disturbing the clean line.
So model and set 1 edge a line by texture.
It's like make a panel itself and build up.

for those needs more info (photos)
Where is this object existing ?

Last edited:
Country
germany
Seems not understanding
What I am saying is
Using that ball itself is disturbing the clean line.
So model and set 1 edge a line by texture.
It's like make a panel itself and build up.

for those needs more info (photos)
Where is this object existing ?
Hi

unfortunately I do not have pictures from myself so I cannot post it here directly. You can find more photos if you search in the internet for "Radom Wasserkuppe"
For example here: https://radom-wasserkuppe.de/

Country
japan
What I'm saying is make the polygon like this and texture each polygons
But at this case you need to understand the exact pattern of that dome.
I couldn't understand from your picture link so can't make it.
Also from google's image , seems top pattern is different from what you wrote repeat.

Image5.jpg
Image7.jpg

Last edited:
Country
germany
Yes thats also my problem - I do not have a "full" picture of every part of the roof. And the Polygon itself isn't "flat" - in the picture you see that its a "clean" ball from the roundness, but it is split into polygons... It doesn't need to get a perfect 1:1 from reality but even a good seems hard to do right now. But I get your idea...

Country
japan
From this shot it seems to have a key parts to figure out how each are connected.
There is a perfect Pentagon as a key
This will help figure out each part's angle

Image2.jpg

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Da Vinci taught us there is only one type of "sphere," completely composed of pentagons:
da-vincis-dodecahedron-1509-this-drawing-is-by-leonardo-da-vinci-and-picture-id90736281

and the tile would be too large, in relation to the whole, to be practical. You'd want more like a soccer ball, in fact a modelled soccer ball with an edited texture would probably suffice.

xMywU.png

Country
netherlands
From this shot it seems to have a key parts to figure out how each are connected.
There is a perfect Pentagon as a key
This will help figure out each part's angle

View attachment 75463
After browsing polyhedra, I think you're looking for a geodesic polyhedron:

Various other polyhedra:

Call me crazy but I find it fascinating...

Country
germany
After browsing polyhedra, I think you're looking for a geodesic polyhedron:

Various other polyhedra:

Call me crazy but I find it fascinating...

I also tried this as this is the way if you search for "soccer ball" in blender tutorials. But it still does not capture the parts beneath the perfect 5-edge-thing. I now gave up for the moment and will do a easy texture as a start. But if I find a real solution I'm glad to update it again :)