• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS How to texture windows which shall not be transparent

Country
germany
Hi,

I always face one issue when texturing - the windows.
I get it fine if they shall be transparent. Then I use MSFS glass. But if they are transparent you can look in the inside of the model - which means you need to model it ;)

When just doing some buildings where the interior is "irrelevant" I do not want to model it...
I try to play around with colors and roughness but the result is not really good in my opinion:

1618983588397.png

Do you have any "tipps & tricks" how to get convincing windows which shall not show the model-interior?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It seems like this is the situation this material was created for.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
If you look at the procedural buildings, you can see what the default solution is:

Untitled.png

They use some standardized window textures. Some with blinds, drapes or shades. They also have some sort of environmental looking reflection. These same windows are used over and over in the generated buildings.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Country
azerbaijan
If you look at the procedural buildings, you can see what the default solution is:

View attachment 72382

They use some standardized window textures. Some with blinds, drapes or shades. They also have some sort of environmental looking reflection. These same windows are used over and over in the generated buildings.

View attachment 72383

How do I create windows like this? Is it a single face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I'm sure it is a simple texture with a reflective material setting. It seems it's PBR.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Country
germany
There are various ways. The most easy would be to make the MSFS glass set to "opaque" instead of blend. There is a dropdownlist in Blender for that (with the msfs importer installed". I think the standard Blender surface values also work (or some of them at least) so you can add metallic, specular and roughness to it.

You can also mix a color or subsurface in to make it a bit more interesting. Of course all above also work.

The second easy (imo) is the use of Substancepainter by adding a glass texture and use that as base, or manually do the way the app does it. The outcome is something like this:

unknown.png

It can be manually created too of course with a albedo texture with the other maps mixed in. You just have to make a material that is opaque, highly reflective and add some normal in for dust etc.

Another variant would be to use parallax textures. Then the inside looks like 3D but actually is only a pic.

(just saw that parallax was already mentioned so ignore it^^)

Country
denmark
Hi Senchay

I'm trying to make al lot of windows in Blender like yours, they should be 100 reflective. Can you share your settings in Blender, have been multiple settings now wittout any luck

Thanks

Country
austria
The thing is if you use s substance material to make the glass and use the msfs standard material the reflections are good in the sim but it depends on the angle where you look at the window. Some angles are good some are terrible. The problem is the msfs glass has a ugly hdr image in its reflection from the cockpit of a plain. So i think that material was made for the glass instruments inside the cockpit and not for windows of buildings.