FSX How To Turn Off Autosave?

How do you turn off Autosave in ADE?

I was moving things around, just in order to measure a few distances... and, when finished I just closed ADE, without saving.

Next thing you know, I reloaded a bungled airport, that I had never intended to save.

Autosave ruined a lot of work.

I went to the Settings, and I only find an Autosave timer.

But, I'd like to turn Autosave off.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You can't turn it off entirely. Also ADE only loads the autosave file if it detects that ADE crashed. It will also ask you if you want to load the autosave file when you first start after a crash is detected. There is no connection between the autosaved file and your project file. ADE does not automatically 'save your work' to the project file. It saves a copy of the work at the time of the autosave to an entirely separate file. The only way you get that file to open is after a crash is detected. So whatever happened in your case I don't see that the autosave file would be involved unless you saw that message box on start up and loaded it yourself.

You can't turn it off entirely. Also ADE only loads the autosave file if it detects that ADE crashed. It will also ask you if you want to load the autosave file when you first start after a crash is detected. There is no connection between the autosaved file and your project file. ADE does not automatically 'save your work' to the project file. It saves a copy of the work at the time of the autosave to an entirely separate file. The only way you get that file to open is after a crash is detected. So whatever happened in your case I don't see that the autosave file would be involved unless you saw that message box on start up.
Maybe you can make it an option to turn off Autosave.

I don't know what happened, but my ADE didn't crash. I was simply using objects in an ad4 file as a reference, and I closed ADE without saving anything. I reopened the ad4 file and the objects remained moved.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
One of those mysteries. I am trying to think how else it could happen. I will look at adding that option but generally it is a good idea to leave it on since as mentioned it performs only one action to recover work in the event of a crash.

One of those mysteries. I am trying to think how else it could happen. I will look at adding that option but generally it is a good idea to leave it on since as mentioned it performs only one action to recover work in the event of a crash.
My ad4 files are being saved to Airport Design Editor 165/FSX/Projects.

Where does ADE Autosave to?

OK. I tried to duplicate the previous actions... only, this time it didn't happen.

Somehow, it must have thought it was a crash, in order for it to overwrite my previous ad4 file.

I'm positive I never saved the activity... but, somehow it was saved on its own. I'm doing the project over right now because of it.

Maybe the Autosave can go to a different folder, other than Projects... so that, in the event of a false crash... the user can choose the file they want to keep.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Autosave does not have the same name as the project file and it does not over write it. Neither does it go into the Projects folder. It is stored entirely separately in a working folder. The project file you load back will be the last one that you saved. The only time ADE will offer to load the autosave is after a crash. You would have a message in that case on startup.

ADE never automatically saves the project file under that name. It will tell you if you close ADE when there are unsaved parts of the project but that is all. ADE even deletes the autosave file when it is closed successfully. When you loaded the project back that contained the unwanted changes how did you do that:
  • Load last project
  • File > Recent Files
  • or File > Open Airport

Autosave does not have the same name as the project file and it does not over write it. Neither does it go into the Projects folder. The project file you load back will be the last one that you saved. ADE never automatically saves the project file under that name. It will tell you if you close ADE when there are unsaved parts of the project but that is all. ADE even deletes the autosave file when it is closed successfully.
If all that is working as intended, than the only thing else that could have happened is clicking yes to save the file upon exit, when forced to choose. Perhaps it was inadvertently selected.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If all that is working as intended, than the only thing else that could have happened is clicking yes to save the file upon exit, when forced to choose. Perhaps it was inadvertently selected.
I can't think of anything else at the moment. I must admit that I tend to click Yes without thinking when it comes to the unsaved work message on close :oops: