• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 How to use effect files after export bgl

Country
italy
Hi guys, I'm not so expert in creating 3d objects but with MCX, I can obtain what I need in a good percentage of situations. Now I have to correct the position of some objects in a scenery for my personal use. I loaded the bgl file of the object (I noted that this bgl contain also the coordinates of the initial position). inside MCX. Then I use the export function (sometimes I use the wizard "convert and place") inserting the new coordinates. After the exportation, in the same folder I also found an effect file (fx_lightFF0000.fx for example). Now I'm not sure if this file works or not and if it has to be put elsewhere (in the effects folder for example) and if it needs something else to work correctly. Indeed I noticed that the repositioned object lacks some lights effect that was previously present. Could you please help me to better understand?
Thanks

Attachments

• scenery.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 158

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yes, the fx file needs to be placed into the Effects folder.

Country
germany
Be careful with effect names and effect texture names to avoit conflicts. Thix is a common error....

Country
italy
What do you mean about it Guenther? The name I reported is generated automatically by MCX, I did not touch it and till now I did not put the effect file inside the effect folder because I did not if it was a good stuff even if I did not note particular problems.
Anyway I paid particular attention to all the libraries and textures of all the scenery I installed because I noted a lot of conflicts caused by different authors that used same libraries in bad ways some times...

Country
germany
For example another scenery designer had used MCX and got the same effect name, it will be a conflict if somebody uses both sceneries.
If somebody uses a texture like fx_2.bmp and you want to use a different texture with the same name, you have a problem.
I prefer project specific names like fx_ICAO_light1.fx (just an example).

Country
italy
Ok, this is clear and probably it is the reason for which I see some effect lights working even if I did not put the effect file in the effect folder (I found effect files with same name present there probably from other scenery as you are saying). The only point is: the name of the texture used is generally modifiable from MCX, but what about the effect name? I couldn't find any place to change it.

Country
italy
Sorry Tom, but probably I'm searching in the wrong place, but after I export the object, in the folder I found (as said before) the bgl and the fx_lightFF0000.fx file. But opening the attached object editor I can only see AttachPointName with the following list of names:
attpt_light00
attpt_light01
attpt_light02
ect...
So where I have to indicate the correct fx name?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Each effect in a model is connected to what is called an AttachPoint. In MCX these can be displayed by pressing the button with the paper clip on it (Display attached objects). Little red squares will appear. Your effect is connected to one of these attachpoints. Once the attachpoints are displayed, click on each one in the Attached Object Editor until the one with your effect turns yellow. Here is an image of one of the top attachpoints selected and using that effect. You can change the EffectName right there.

mcx_effect_test.jpg

Hope this helps,

Country
italy
Thanks Tom, it is what I did but I cannot obtain the same representation except if I firstly export to a new bgl file (obtaining fx_lightFF0000.fx) and then reloading the new bgl in MCX.
Clipboard.jpg
Using the last dev release of MCX I can do it before exporting to a new bgl.

Anyway I understood. Thanks.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When I open your original BGL file, I get the FS2004 attached object editor instead:

mcx_effect_test2.jpg

In this case, change UseAutoGeneratedName to FALSE using the drop down box. Then type in your new effect name in the CustomFileName box. That should do it.

Hope this helps,

Country
italy
When I open your original BGL file, I get the FS2004 attached object editor instead:

View attachment 49208

In this case, change UseAutoGeneratedName to FALSE using the drop down box. Then type in your new effect name in the CustomFileName box. That should do it.

Hope this helps,
Yes this is what I can do using the last dev release of MCX.

If I use the last stable (1.3) release instead, it seem that it is only possible to change the fx name after the first exportation in bgl, but not with the original file

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Correct. This is only possible with the development release. No serious modeler uses the stable release anymore.