• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Howto increase drawing distance

Country
germany
I did some further tests yesterday. I can confirm that the drawing distance cannot be improved using LODs, even when minSize is set for the lowest LOD. However, setting the MSFS material mode of the plane to invisible does work.

Furthermore, Reddit user srinivasman pointed out that one needs to apply the scale of the model befor exporting. Here is the corresponding discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/comments/j1huiz
My lighthouse was build using an upscaled cylinder. The corresponding scaling (e.g. factor 25 in z) was still in place. I could imagine that this actually can result in issues in the sim if it performs a simplified initial check that considers the object's size without applying the scale. I will test tonight whether applying the scale before exporting makes a difference. If so, it would be interesting to now if this is a problem of the Blender exporter or of MSFS.

@IronMinion and @the nanard Would you mind to check if there is a non-identity scaling of your objects as well?

Country
unitedstates
So far I have created 2 buildings in Blender for my airport and applied the scale on both of them before unwrapping. They both appear fine in the sim and there is no late pop-in. Just to add to the evidence for what it's worth. I don't have enough of other types of assets to see if there is any difference.

Country
germany
Thanks for the information! I had no problems with my other buildings as well. However, they are a hangar and a tower building, and thus have a quite "normal" shape. Since I had problems with the lighthouse, which is rather tall, I assumed it is something related to the base area.

I just had the time to test my correctly scaled lighthouse without the plane in the sim and it is working! :D So please forget my wired idea with the plane and scale your building correctly instead!

Country
germany
I just had the time to test my correctly scaled lighthouse without the plane in the sim and it is working! :D So please forget my wired idea with the plane and scale your building correctly instead!

This workaround is still good for small objects like runway markers. They still disappear too early even if scaling is applied.

Country
italy
Thanks for the information! I had no problems with my other buildings as well. However, they are a hangar and a tower building, and thus have a quite "normal" shape. Since I had problems with the lighthouse, which is rather tall, I assumed it is something related to the base area.

That didn't work for my pylons. I have tried to scale even 20 times bigger before exporting, and downscale in editor, but no success. Only the plane helped me out. And, actually, if you want you can fly over there, with my thanks again!

Country
germany
@karlo922 This is indeed correct. For small objects, you still can apply this method. I'll change the first post accordingly.

@IronMinion Just to be sure, you did not only scale the models but also applied the scale such that the effective scale is 1? If so, it is good to know that the scaling solution doesn't work under all circumstances. Your scenery looks really great! I downloaded it already and will take my next flight to Messina :D

Country
italy
@IronMinion Just to be sure, you did not only scale the models but also applied the scale such that the effective scale is 1? If so, it is good to know that the scaling solution doesn't work under all circumstances. Your scenery looks really great! I downloaded it already and will take my next flight to Messina :D

Yes, the first thing I did (when I wasn't even on this forum) when I noticed the problem was just scaling the object in Blender with the right scale. Which actually it was 6 times bigger, so I thought I found the solution (I was sure it would have appeared 6 times earlier! :D). But then in the game it was the same, and I gave up...

Thanks, have a nice flight over Messina and don't forget to go to Tindari and Laghetti di Marinello, the sight is amazing there now with the Cathedral and Laghetti fixed!

Country
germany
I've no idea what makes the difference in your case. At least we have a working solution!

I'm planning a slow and low flight there tonight :D

Country
germany
Since version 1.10.7.0 (aka. update 5), the behavior regarding pop-up distances seems to have changes. In particular, MSFS removes single elements from objects depending on their size and the distance.

That means that the plane trick doesn't work anymore for small objects, since the overall object will appear early enough (because of the large plane), but MSFS will not render the element of interest (e.g. a runway sign) because it is too small.

Can someone confirm this observation? And are there any ideas to address this? An option would be to attach the plane directly to the element of interest. But this feels quite wrong.

I absolutely see the point of implementing such a behavior, since the MSFS is obviously very demanding. And this behavior make sense when you remove small elements, e.g., from a building. But there should be a convenient way to control this for small, important objects. It is quite ridiculous when you have runway markers next to your grass runway that appear after touchdown when you are 10m away from them.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Since version 1.10.7.0 (aka. update 5), the behavior regarding pop-up distances seems to have changes. In particular, MSFS removes single elements from objects depending on their size and the distance.

That means that the plane trick doesn't work anymore for small objects, since the overall object will appear early enough (because of the large plane), but MSFS will not render the element of interest (e.g. a runway sign) because it is too small.

Can someone confirm this observation? And are there any ideas to address this? An option would be to attach the plane directly to the element of interest. But this feels quite wrong.

I absolutely see the point of implementing such a behavior, since the MSFS is obviously very demanding. And this behavior make sense when you remove small elements, e.g., from a building. But there should be a convenient way to control this for small, important objects. It is quite ridiculous when you have runway markers next to your grass runway that appear after touchdown when you are 10m away from them.
Hi,

yes - I can confirm this. The draw distance of my runway markers has defintely decreased since last update. I also used the "big plane" method. But it is still better than in older versions without the plane.

Country
germany
Thanks for confirmation!

This matches my observations. In fact, the overall drawing distance seem the be better now, i.e., when you use no plane at allow. However, you now cannot achieve the same results as before the patch, except if you add the plane to the single elements of your model.

Country
germany
Found the solution for me: I just hit "CTRL + j" to join the objects (my runway markers and the invisible plane below) before exporting. This solved it with MSFS 1.10.11.0
Yes, exactly! I manually added a plane to my objects instead of joining it with the existing one, but the result is the same ;)

Country
sweden
Yes, exactly! I manually added a plane to my objects instead of joining it with the existing one, but the result is the same ;)
Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but now I have the same problem. I placed blue barrels (the default ones found in the simobject library) as runway edge markers (our airfield has similar stuff IRL), but they only appear when you are very close to them.
What should I do then to make them visible from far away? What is this "join object method"?

Country
germany
I'm not aware of a method to change/increase the drawing distance of stock objects. My suggestion would be to create an own barrel model in Blender and then apply the method(s) described above.

"Join objects" is a functionality of Blender, where you join several objects into one. However, we are talking about Blender objects here, not about MSFS sim objects. For MSFS (or more precisely the scenery editor), a Blender model will be seen as one sim object independent of whether the Blender objects inside the model has been joined or not.

Country
germany
I'm not aware of a method to change/increase the drawing distance of stock objects. My suggestion would be to create an own barrel model in Blender and then apply the method(s) described above.

"Join objects" is a functionality of Blender, where you join several objects into one. However, we are talking about Blender objects here, not about MSFS sim objects. For MSFS (or more precisely the scenery editor), a Blender model will be seen as one sim object independent of whether the Blender objects inside the model has been joined or not.
Agree, but if hidden objects are not joined to visible objects, then it seems that they are not refleced to the size of the object during export.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The next SDK is going to provide a way to group objects, so that might alter the drawing distance.

Country
sweden

Thanks for the explanation. I guess now I have to live with this or find and try a custom model to put as runway markers.