• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

I am getting old...

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
I've started the process of putting together another of the sd2gau gauge programmer documents and while updating the Introduction, managed to make myself feel really old...

"Newcomers to this document are going to wonder why the code samples are sometimes in black and white and at other times are in colour, but the colour layout is inconsistent. Well, this document started back in early 1997 as a two-page how-to on setting up a Visual C++ v5.0 compiler for the FS98 SDK. That mutated into the ‘gauhlp’ series and was re-titled ‘sd2gau’ with the release of the first really comprehensive SDK with FS 2002. Almost a quarter of a century later I’m still adding to it as the versions of flight simulator and Visual Studio change, but some of the simpler code samples still go back to VC++ 5.0 and the gauhlp series."

I want a bed to lie down in after reading that.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hey Dai!
Believe me, we alllll feel that. What's even more sad about it is how some of the things we got really good at in the past become more and more irrelevant. Think of all the funky workarounds we know to get things done for FSX. Think about how this probably will be so utterly useless in a few years time...

Anyway, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for all the time and dedication you took to create that document! You are a legend, and that's a perk you can only get when getting older.

Country
indonesia
I remember when first time deal with C++ for MV-22B Osprey.
the only tutorial that available and reliable is sd2gau. follow it and it really make my code working.
no wonder if someone have programmer background, but I'm a guy that very little know about code, create a code and it working, it like a huge jump.
I believe if you, Dai, not make that documentation, there will no one does.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Who knows what type of frankensim Dos Equis will be as far as gauges, or any other type of mod. The future is murky here.

Thanks for your efforts Dai!

Country
us-ohio
I think Dick is the old one here... though I may be a close second. My first programming was on mainframes... with keypads, input registers and if I was really lucky... mylar tape.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
My first programming was on mainframes... with keypads, input registers and if I was really lucky... mylar tape.
Time share on the Lawrence Livermore main frame, with a “teletype” and the modem was a box with two black spongy doughnuts and one would “dial” the number, listen for the screech and then stuff the telephone headset into the modem. It’s speed was measured in “Baud” and the Star Trek program I bought cane in an envelope, with a print out in “BASIC,” the size of a novella and also a spoil of punched tape.
To play the game “online,” you’d have to carefully load the roll into the reader and then watch it spaghetti onto the floor. If it ripped and you couldn’t fix it, the program was toast.
I was never productive enough to make a significant contribution like the OP.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've started the process of putting together another of the sd2gau gauge programmer documents and while updating the Introduction, managed to make myself feel really old...
Dai, you have created a lasting masterwork. But, you are not "old." just well-aged like a fine wine or 20 year old scotch!

I knew that I was finally old when I discovered I'd gone nearly a full year thinking that I was seventy-three years old...

...only to finally pull out the trusty calculator and subtract 1949 from 2020 and realize that I was actually only seventy-one! :yikes:

There was a time in my life I could have solved that little bit of arithmetic in my head!! :rotfl:

Country
mexico
Dai, you have created a lasting masterwork. But, you are not "old." just well-aged like a fine wine or 20 year old scotch!

I knew that I was finally old when I discovered I'd gone nearly a full year thinking that I was seventy-three years old...

...only to finally pull out the trusty calculator and subtract 1949 from 2020 and realize that I was actually only seventy-one! :yikes:

There was a time in my life I could have solved that little bit of arithmetic in my head!!
Ain't that bad, huh? You've gifted yourself with two years after all.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Started with COBOL and FORTRAN back in the early 1970's and then onto Assembler with the first 'PCs'

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
61. Started with a Vax PDP-90 and an Intel Microprocessor Workstation running at 2Khz. Everything on the Intel was programmed at bit-level, no joke. It presented you with a screenful of zeroes in one-byte blocks and you went along setting the relevant bits to one. Then you waited almost an hour while it wrote everything to the PROM (note: no 'E'). Get the program wrong and the (very expensive) PROM was scrap.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Milton_Shupe

Resource contributor
Country
us-newmexico
I think Dick is the old one here... though I may be a close second. My first programming was on mainframes... with keypads, input registers and if I was really lucky... mylar tape.

Not sure who is older but my IT training started on IBM Accounting Machines with patch boards. My programming started on the IBM 360/20, then 30, 50, etc. in the old DOS days of 1971.
Assembler, RPGII, Cobol, then finally on to object oriented programming, tech support, telecom, and management.

Kind Regards and much respect to all you "seasoned veterans".

Now retired and 74.