• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 I can´t make a conditioned animation works

Country
chile
Hello
I made an animataion in Gmax with 4 doors (boxes with color,no texture, no transparency). I named each box starting with tick18_ and were

animated with a very simple translation (Key frames at the beginning and at the end).
From Gmax, I exported it (flightsim Scenery object option), creating the *.mdl, *.xml and keeping the *.asm files (keep=1 in makemdl

options).
I applied CAT considering only the "enable condition trigger" and I assign NAV2 to 112.00 (1200h).
Cat generated the *_cat.mdl. Then I loaded MCX and called *_cat.mdl in the "convert and place objects" wizards, so to place the object in

FS9. Immediately a window ask me for setting 3 condition variables (6, l_gear, pvfreq). Depending on the number I entered in Variable 6 (in

variables (with variables l_gear and pvfreq nothing happens) I had differents results:
0,1,3,4 the door is static and the trigger does not open it.
2 the door is animated openning and closing endlessly, and the trigger does nothing.
5 the door is animated openning and closing endlessly, starting backward,and the trigger does nothing.
I have read some post of the forums but nobody mentions those variables and therefore how to handle them.

The animation works fine in Gmax and in FS9 without the trigger (endlessly). But I can´t make it work with the trigger.
I have set in MCX to keep the *.asm files after processing. I have noticed that the *_cat_0.asm file generated after executing CAT, has the

trigger, but after executing the "convert and place objects" wizard of MCX the new *_cat_0.asm generated doesn't have it.

I would appreciate very much any help, to make possible that the animation works with a condition and not endlessly.

Thanks in advance

Carlos Varas

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Don't use MCX to place the object. MCX uses MakeMDL to export the object, which means the tweaked animations are lost. You need to use an object placement tool to place it or write the placement XML yourself. The mdl that CAT made would go in a library bgl.

Country
chile
Hi,

Don't use MCX to place the object. MCX uses MakeMDL to export the object, which means the tweaked animations are lost. You need to use an object placement tool to place it or write the placement XML yourself. The mdl that CAT made would go in a library bgl.

Hi Arno:

Thank you for your fast reply.
Concerning your advice, can you indicate me more specifically how to do that.
Regards
Carlos

Country
us-texas
Not sure here, but I think you would need to create a bgl library first, is that correct? So you can use a tool like library creator.

Then you place that bgl in an active scenery folder and start FSX/FS9.

Then you can use some kind of tool like Instant Scenery to place your object.

Not an expert so I hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, that's correct. Or you could write a little bit of XML for the placement yourself as well.

Country
chile
Not sure here, but I think you would need to create a bgl library first, is that correct? So you can use a tool like library creator.

Then you place that bgl in an active scenery folder and start FSX/FS9.

Then you can use some kind of tool like Instant Scenery to place your object.

Not an expert so I hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
Hi
Thank you for concern. Fortunately after some tests I was able to run the animation correctly.
The simpliest way, was to compile directly the cat file with bglcomp.exe after editing the xml file.
Regards Carlos

Country
chile
Yes, that's correct. Or you could write a little bit of XML for the placement yourself as well.
Hi
Thank you for your reply. The key was to stop using MCX for placing the model. As you told me, I modified the xml file and compiled the cat file with bglcomp. It was not necessary to create a library. Finally, the animation is working fine, in the exact way that I designed it.

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and best regards
Carlos Varas