• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS I have proved that ADE 19 is not updating footprints for changes to scenery objects.

Country
australia
Well the 'saga' of ADE not picking up changes to my scenery object in the footprint has not gone away.

This is what I am doing -

Changed scenery object (.gltf etc) copied to project
Run ADE 19, BUILD, update LOM add scenery object and the footprint shown is for the previous version of the scenery NOT the new one.
Remove ADE 19 (entire folder).
Install ADE 19 + update HF1
NO OTHER CHANGES
Run ADE 19, BUILD, update LOM add scenery object and now the footprint is correct and shows the latest version.

NO CHANGES other than ADE 19 removed and installed again and the footprint is updated.

Does this indicate a problem?

I haven't tried it yet but maybe if the project was in the F20 folder where I used to have it until someone suggested place it in it's own root directory NOT part of ADE.

Could someone else 'so the exercise' of changing a scenery object which would add to the footprint, BUILD their project, update the LOM for the changed scenery object then check the footprint to see if it doesn't update.

I didn't have much hair before and now even less.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - I am finding this hard to follow. But it seems the basic issue is that you make changes to a user model but find the footprint unchanged. If you update a user defined scenery object then you will not automatically update the footprint

If you are keeping the user models in the user list in ADE and you make a change then you should use the Get Footprints button to update the footprints for the models listed

1627107208283.png

If you are adding the models to an Object Library bgl then you add that library via the LOM. If you change or update any of the models then you need to update the LOM by using the Update File option from the Tools Menu

1627107346262.png

I cannot see what re-installing Alpha 19 will do. BUT you said you updated the LOM after re-installing and that will update footprints for any libraries you select as suggested above.

For the avoidance of doubt
  • If you update a model which is in List > Models then use the Get Footprints button to update footprints
  • If you update a model which is in an Object Library bgl file then use Update File and select that library to update footprints

My apologies if I am offering advice on the wrong issue.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Jon. I was unaware of the Update file option for LOM which would make it a lot easier anyway. I will try that later.
Please note though the scenery library (for MSFS Community Folder) was always correct and always displayed the modified scenery object in MSFS even though the footprint in ADE was not correct.

BTW here is my latest scenery footprint which represents the top down view of the scenery object exactly and covers an area of around 150 metres X 100 metres (large).
Note that it is not aligned with the real docks from a Google Earth satellite image (in both location and heading) but if I don't position it this way parking locations 1A and 2A are not aligned with a dock correctly AND the docks 'run into' the 3D buildings in MSFS. Also most of the other parking locations (set up in MSFS - there are 8 others) do not align correctly with my docks (some are ontop of my docks and others no where near a dock) so maybe a hit and miss affair from MSFS? Is there a way to modify the co-ordinates of MSFS stock parking locations?

footprint new.jpg

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Is there a way to modify the co-ordinates of MSFS stock parking locations?

Well if you started your project from a MSFS base airport then the parking spots will be in the project file and you can drag them, rotate them or delete them

Country
australia
Well can I do that as currently the docks are part of another (non MSFS) airport I created although located some 35 miles from that new airport?

Country
australia
Well I thought that (starting a project from a MSFS base airport) should be easy.

I selected 'Create project from Stock' entered the IDENT/icao (CYHC which exists in MSFS) however when I click on CHECK nothing happens and 'Ident is Stock' is not ticked. I tried CYVR (Vancouver Intl) and when I select CHECK the airport name is displayed and 'Ident is Stock' is ticked. So why doesn't CYHC since it is selectable in MSFS when selecting start airport? Could it be because there are no runways only parking areas (airport exists by ICAO only)? Any ideas? Am I stumped?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No - its because that Ident is not in the ADE index of stock airports. I will check

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I canno0t find CYHC anywhere in my copy of MSFS. It's not in the base bgl file I would expect and I cannot find it as you appear to be able to

1627118408939.png

Is it possible this is an addon or enhanced airport on your system?

Country
australia
My apologies Jon. I just looked in m y community folder and there is cyhc-airport.bgl
I can't remember adding it but obviously I did. Well now I can create project from msfs bgl.
I think that I may have found the original built for fsx on my external backup drive abut not sure.

How can I get it out of the community folder?
I would like to 'unwrap' the .bgl (open it in ADE) to see what it contains BUT better still maybe just remove it and start a new project for CYHC together with my docks scenery object and correct parking locations.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you found it in your community folder then just remove the folder containing it. Move it somewhere safe in case things go wrong

Country
australia
The bgl is in a folder named CYHC in the Community folder which shows a locked padlock icon and it won't allow me to copy or move the folder. I managed to delete the folder which placed it into the recycle bin but I can't do anything with it from there - the same message 'your organisation does not allow ...' I have heard of people having problems managing the community folder and now I understand. Really stupid what MS have done.

Last edited:
Country
australia
No and to make sure nothing open was causing the problem I shut down and restarted my PC. The folder is now sitting in my Recycle Bin and I can't restore. Maybe I'll just forget about it and see if I can empty the recycle bin. I think it was something from FSX I built for MSF when I found there were no water airports in MSFS and had completely forgotten about.
It certainly doesn't exist in MSFS anymore as I just started MSFS and CYHC doesn't find anything. I would have liked to have found what the .bgl file contained though.

I will create a project to create CYHC from scratch - I won't add any (water) runways or taxipaths/taxiways as in realty runways don't exist, the pilots choosing a location/area (within reason) to take off and land.

Country
australia
Hi Jon, I decided to give 'update files' a go but CANNOT reproduce what you show above (I am using ADE 19 with the update applied).
When I select LOM there is no option to update files and I cannot select TOOL drop down menu with LOM opened as you screen shot appears to indicate.
When I back out of LOM and select TOOLS I get a drop down menu as below which does not match you screen shot. I am bamboozeled?
tools.jpg
lom.jpg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am sorry but I don't understand. The Tools menu in the LOM has never failed to work as far as I can tell. You show it in your screenshot under the Title bar

1627197778029.png

Are you telling me that you cannot click on Tools as seen above?

Country
australia
My apologies. I tried it again and now notice that I can 'select' TOOLS within LOM.
I was expecting to see a 'button' marked 'Updare files' rather than having to select Tools to get a drop down menu.
I also searched the original ADE user guide which didn't show anything (which is because it is for 'FSX' versions of ADE) and

also looked though/searched the ADE 2020 ALPHA 19 NOTES V2.pdf and could not find any reference to the Tools pull down menu within LOM (or anything about updating files).

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Alternatively use Ctl+U when in the LOM. Alpha documentation is not complete

Country
australia
Thanks Jon.
I have may have asked this before (but cannot find the thread) but is there an easy method to force MSFS to reread the scenery files in the Community folder. I noticed today after making changes to parking locations while MSFS was running (and doinh a build and copy to community folder) that even going back to the main menu and selecting a completely different start location and destination (to force MSFS to read other files), allowing MSFS to do what every it does until it displays FLY now and then exiting back to the Main menu and selecting the airport being changed as the start airport, that the changes I made in ADE were no picked up. It wasn't until I fully exited MSFS and restarted that the changes were picked up which is a very slow process.

Country
us-florida
I may have asked this before (but cannot find the thread) but is there an easy method to force MSFS to reread the scenery files in the Community folder. I noticed today after making changes to parking locations while MSFS was running (and doinh a build and copy to community folder) that even going back to the main menu and selecting a completely different start location and destination (to force MSFS to read other files), allowing MSFS to do what every it does until it displays FLY now and then exiting back to the Main menu and selecting the airport being changed as the start airport, that the changes I made in ADE were no picked up. It wasn't until I fully exited MSFS and restarted that the changes were picked up which is a very slow process.
Yes, I believe Jon has explained how using dev mode allows revised scenery to be reloaded without exiting MSFS. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of problems using dev mode and finally gave up and use the very slow process.

Country
australia
Thanks. I would have thought that going back (to main menu) and choosing to fly somewhere completely different (in the world) and then going back again and selecting the area where the updated scenery is would force MSFS to reread the relevant scenery files, I think it did with FSX. What a pity.