• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA IK JETWAY STILL NOT WORKING

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
DG, that is exactly what I have been saying. The pivot doesn't move after uniform scale therefore any animations remain in the same coordinates as the pivot.

Mirroring does not move the pivot. Mirroring takes the pivot coordinates of the object being mirrored as relative 0,0,0.

Country
unitedstates
DG, that is exactly what I have been saying. The pivot doesn't move after uniform scale therefore any animations remain in the same coordinates as the pivot.

Mirroring does not move the pivot. Mirroring takes the pivot coordinates of the object being mirrored as relative 0,0,0.

You said "Now resize the door to 5m square. The pivot point is now out of place" which is uniform scale.

Anyways the only time you have to move the pivot is when mirroring and like you said it depends on where the center of the scene is. So if the parts pivot is already at center then the pivot will remain in the same location. Other wise is offsets based on how far it is from the 0,0,0.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hey guys, I don't want to interrupt your discussion but it is not relevant to the animated jetway at all.

Actually, bone and skin model does not use center of the model or pivot at all.
You need to animate the bone, not the model. So pivot of the bone is the main point of animation.

If you build bone and assign the vertices correctly, the skin will move with its bones.
Moreover, in animated jetway, we don't do any animation. We just make skin and bone and IK solvers. The game will provide animation to the jetway to the door of airplane.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You said "Now resize the door to 5m square. The pivot point is now out of place" which is uniform scale.

Anyways the only time you have to move the pivot is when mirroring and like you said it depends on where the center of the scene is. So if the part pivots is already at center then the pivot will remain in the same location. Other wise is offsets based on how far it is from the 0,0,0.
We are both in agreement. It's sometimes difficult texting about concepts in 3ds. Two people can be talking about the same thing but sound different on their explanation. Even on TeamSpeak it can be difficult explaining verbally. I really like using TeamViewer, it's one of the best freeware communication tools for expressing ideas.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hey guys, I don't want to interrupt your discussion but it is not relevant to the animated jetway at all.

Actually, bone and skin model does not use center of the model or pivot at all.
You need to animate the bone, not the model. So pivot of the bone is the main point of animation.

If you build bone and assign the vertices correctly, the skin will move with its bones.
Moreover, in animated jetway, we don't do any animation. We just make skin and bone and IK solvers. The game will provide animation to the jetway to the door of airplane.
I don't understand how that works, not having to do any animations. An IK solver links joints, you still have to manipulate the bones, that's animation. How else would the SIM know in what direction to move the bones. I also don't understand how the SIM can interpret non-keyframed animation. Can you explain it a little further or point to some information about it?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
There is no key frames or time frame for animating the jetway. We just provide the bone and Skin and handles. But we don't do "Animation" (set up key frames, turns to left or right, or up down etc.) We just do "preparation" for the game. FSX will animated the jetway. You can imagine when you park the airplane, it can be any distance to the jetway. If you do the animation (setup time frame, move it by yourself), how can jetway move to the door of different aircrafts? So, the information of the jetway and information of the door position of aircraft will make the game provide movement of jetway to the door. We DO NOT animate the jetway but the game does.

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There is no key frames or time frame for animating the jetway. We just provide the bone and Skin and handles. But we don't do "Animation" (set up key frames, turns to left or right, or up down etc.) We just do "preparation" for the game. FSX will animated the jetway. You can imagine when you park the airplane, it can be any distance to the jetway. If you do the animation (setup time frame, move it by yourself), how can jetway move to the door of different aircrafts? So, the information of the jetway and information of the door position of aircraft will make the game provide movement of jetway to the door. We DO NOT animate the jetway but the game does.
I see, so the jetway must be made in a very particular way for it to work properly. Does this also work for aircraft related ground vehicles such as an APU or anything that uses an attach point on the aircraft?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Does this also work for aircraft related ground vehicles such as an APU or anything that uses an attach point on the aircraft?
I don't think so.
The jetway has to be place in AFCAD file to each parking. It needs parking radius and aircraft information too.
There is an information in Aircraft.cfg about the position of the door. So it does nothing with other vehicles at all. But it interact with AI as well if those AI's have position of the door in there Aircraft.cfg.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I agree, I don't think it works for anything but jetways. There are only 3 IK handles that are supported and they all relate to the jetway.

But it could probably be used to let an vehicle with stairs drive to a door on parking when there is no jetway.

The jetway bones do have constraints assigned that tell FS the maximum translation and rotation that's allowed for each bone. But the real animation is made by the sim.

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Guys, I reset the X-form and scale of the mesh and re-applied the bones and the abs effect but it seems that the mesh always appears the way I have shown in the picture as if collapsed to the center of the pivot point! any ideas what else could be the problem?

atleast I by now remember the way to create an animated jetway by heart!

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
They are working now but look something like this?

1.jpg

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
You are almost there. But I think there are some vertice are not assigned to the bone.

Country
unitedstates
Use the edit envelope to make sure you have all vertices covered. Any not covered will stretch out like you see in your sample.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Have a look at SODE yet? There is a tool that convert your jetway into bone-skin model automatically. SODE controls jetway better than the default. It is not easy to do but the result might be better.

Country
unitedkingdom
How do you actually get to the first point? I am quite confused as when I tried to watch Adrian's video on the IK Jetway, it might sound stupid but I don't know where the heck he got the first design from! :( Hope some of you will be able to help!

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Have a look at SODE yet? There is a tool that convert your jetway into bone-skin model automatically. SODE controls jetway better than the default. It is not easy to do but the result might be better.

I have 2012 worked with the Video of Adian - and till today I have not solved to become a moving Jetways.

With SODE I have worked 3 Days and the Jetways worked all fine now.