• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ILS And Parking Problems!

Country
unitedkingdom
I seem to be making more than my fair share of posts today, but nevermind! I'm adding the new runway to Antalya airport and i've come unstuck on the ILS. I've gone through the 'add ILS' dialogue, specifying the runway etc, but when I come to view the AI in FSX, they dog-leg the approach. The aircraft will drop their gear while they are on what looks like the intercept heading, fly for a bit, then make the turn. This also all happens very close in to the end of the runway. Has anybody got any suggestions? Also, I have a small problem with parking. When I was viewing traffic there to test the ILS, I noticed that two IL-86s went into 'pushback' mode, but didn't move and just stayed in 'pushback' indefinitely. All the parking places were connected properly as far as I can see. Is this likely to be an airport problem, or an AI model problem? Right, I'm off to see if I can come up with any more problems! Many thanks chaps. Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Josh

If it is a new runway and a new ILS have you created any approach code for the runway? ADE does not do that.

As for the parking have you run the fault finder to see if they are properly connected to the taxi network?

Country
unitedkingdom
I have run the fault finder and it found nothing. I think it might be a model problem to be honest, but i'll keep trying new things. As for approach code, I didn't know it was possible to specify the approach behaviour of the AI aircraft, I thought (clearly somewhat naively!) that it was hard-wired into FS. How do I go about doing it? Is it possible to edit the approach code for the existing runways to make them follow the correct SIDs and STARs? Thanks very much for all the help.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have run the fault finder and it found nothing. I think it might be a model problem to be honest, but i'll keep trying new things. As for approach code, I didn't know it was possible to specify the approach behaviour of the AI aircraft, I thought (clearly somewhat naively!) that it was hard-wired into FS. How do I go about doing it? Is it possible to edit the approach code for the existing runways to make them follow the correct SIDs and STARs? Thanks very much for all the help.

Jim is the best person to answer questions on approach code. If you can't find the problem with the parking and pushback then if you post the .ade file, or email it then we can take a look and see what is happening

Country
unitedkingdom
Right, I'll contact Jim, see if I can't borrow his brain for the weekend! As for the parking problem, I'll try and fix the problem myself, but if not, expect an e-mail...! Thanks so much for all your help. Josh

JKubale

Recieved PM. For the time being will leave your concerns in open forum so others may benefit.

What new runway did you add and when doing so did you renumber one of the existing parallel runways.

Pushback ----

Some models of planes do not have a correct connect contact position for the tug so it will not pushback.

Always test first with a FSX like default plane and be sure of a correct pushback.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jim. Interesting note on the pushback, I'll fiddle with the contact points to see if I can make it work (its a Vala Il-86 by the way). As for the runway, yes I did renumber an existing runway, 36R/18L became 36C/18C, as I added a parallel runway which had the designation 36R/18L. Could that be causing problems? Sorry about the PM, I promise I wasn't trying to be greedy with your knowledge! Thanks, Josh

36R/18L became 36C/18C

Thats the problem with the dogleg when visibilty is above 3 miles.

That approach code is for RWY 36R that cooresponds to the IAYT Localizer.

When you renumbered 36R to 36C you lost the ILS IDENT and the approach code. You also lost the VORDME 36R, VOR 36R and the NDB 36R approaches plus Transitions. View with the GPS receiver.

At this point 2 things must happen.

1. The existing approach code must be reset (rewritten) from 36R to 36C because it is mismatched (including all non-precision approaches).

2. If 36R (the new runway) has a ILS on either end or any type non-precision approach it must be written (as per the charts) in XML and compiled to a bgl.

Remember that adding a new ILS does not do anything for FS9/FSX or ATC and only the User Plane can use and see it on a Nav radio, nothing else.

Country
unitedkingdom
Right, I think I follow that. How do I go about re-writing the approach code? I see there is a window for doing it in FSX Planner, but I don't know what the options mean. I've Googled it, but it doesn't come up with anything much. Is there a tutorial out there I could read? Thanks for all the help Jim, I really appreciate it. Josh

It is a lot easier to add a new runway and ILS then it is to renumber a runway that already has a stock ILS. However it can be done with a little trickery and FSX will honor.

The first thing you have to do is look closely at the ILS Localizer feather (mouse over) for the new numbered runway 36C (old 36R).

All Utilities read the Root APX bgl ILS localizer and what happens is when you renumbered 36R to 36C this does not change the ILS Localizer from 36R to 36C.

Your runway number is 36C but your IAYT Localizer will still show 36R.

Before I go any further, Is this true using ADE Home?

Country
unitedkingdom
Sorry Jim, I'm a bit confused. Is what true for ADE? I've deleted ALL the ILSs in ADE, will this have deleted all approach code? I wanted to re-add them with the correct frequencies and approaches.

I was under the impression you were reworking LTAI Airport and had added a new parallel runway.

Is that True

LTAI only has one ILS runway which is 36R and you renamed it to 36C. You cannot delete that Localizer because it is a Stock Localizer.

Are we on the same page yet. It might be best you tell me what is it you have done because I can't see your work or, simply attach your bgl to this thread so I can look at it.

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm terribly sorry Jim, I was being very slow for a moment there. Yes, I'm on the same page as you now! LTAI does indeed only have one ILS, on runway 18C/36C, the one which I re-named from 18L/36R. The approach to the real world 18L/36R is done by means of GPS or VOR. So what I need to do, if I understand correctly, is to alter the approach that was written for the stock 18L/36R so that it refers to the re-named 18C/36C. Is this correct?

Country
unitedkingdom
And to answer the previous question, yes when you hover the mouse over the ILS it still displays as runway 36R.

Country
unitedkingdom
Just a quick update, I'm now getting an interesting compilation error. I compiled my airport with ADE then opened it in FSX Planner to add jetways to the new terminal, recompiled it with FSX Planner, but when I come to edit the .bgl and compile in ADE, I get the following message:

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2593:
**** DUPLICATE VOR/ILS ****
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:

ERROR: <FSData
ERROR: version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR: <Airport
ERROR: country = Turkey
ERROR: city = Antalya
ERROR: name = Antalya
ERROR: lat = 36.9002779573202
ERROR: lon = 30.7927778363228
ERROR: alt = 53.949M
ERROR: magvar = -3.10000610351563
ERROR: trafficScalar = 0.7
ERROR: airportTestRadius = 5000.0M
ERROR: ident = LTAI
ERROR: <Runway
ERROR: lat = 36.8960920348763
ERROR: lon = 30.8106735348701
ERROR: surface = CONCRETE
ERROR: heading = 186.300003051758
ERROR: length = 3391.51M
ERROR: width = 44.81M
ERROR: number = 18
ERROR: designator = LEFT
ERROR: patternAltitude = 457.2M
ERROR: primaryTakeoff = YES
ERROR: primaryLanding = YES
ERROR: primaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR: secondaryTakeoff = YES
ERROR: secondaryLanding = YES
ERROR: secondaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR: <Ils
ERROR: lat = 36.9188941642642
ERROR: lon = 30.795219540596
ERROR: heading = 6.26999998092651
ERROR: frequency = 110.300
ERROR: end = SECONDARY
ERROR: range = 50035.32M
ERROR: magvar = -3.10000610351563
ERROR: ident = IAYT
ERROR: width = 3.23899483680725
ERROR: name = CAT II ILS/DME 36R
ERROR: backCourse = TRUE
ERROR:
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2024: Failed to process closing element tag <Ils> near line 337!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2607: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!

Parse complete!

Now, if I compile the previously saved .ade file, a .bgl has NOT been edited in FSX Planner, I don't get this message. I guessed it was related to the problem currently under discussion, so I thought it best to post here instead of staring a new thread. I'm going to attach the .bgl file (the one succesfully compiled with ADE) for anybody to have a look at. Thanks for all the help, Josh

Attachments

• FSX_LTAI.BGL
    20.5 KB · Views: 498
Here is your bgl with the correct ILS renumbered 36C with a mouse over.

Keep it as a master in case something goes wrong in the near future.

Open this bgl with ADE Home using the menu open airport from bgl. Now save as a .ade and work from that with the rest of the design for your airport.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Jim, thats really kind of you. Out of interest, what was it you changed on the bgl? I assume it was something in the xml coding. Thanks again!

Jacob

Do you have Jon's SDE app utility that decompiles your LTAI bgl?

You are going to need it for the approach code.

I used SDE to open your bgl, changed the 36R to 36C ILS and then deleted the duplicated ILS.

ADE is the only Utiltity that allows as per FS 2 ILS per one end of a runway. Other Utilities will not compile properly because of the way it reads the attribute tags.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I guess you are aware that you can add Jetways in ADE?

Country
unitedkingdom
I wasn't aware that you could, in the end I added them by writing the xml code myself. How do you do it in ADE? I can see them in list view, but I can't seem to find an option to add jetways. In answer to Jim's question, I do have the .bgl decompiling utility (bgl2xml). Thanks again guys. Josh