• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ILS Localizer heading

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There are a number of threads and posts here about the difference between stock localizer heading and the associated runway heading. I have just come across this while adding ILS support to ADE. I have confirmed with Asobo that the runway heading is true (as it always has been) but the localizer heading is now magnetic. Previously it was true. It's not clear why this change was made.

What I know about air navigation and ILS approaches can be written on the head of a pin. I do know that one flies at an angle to the runway to acquire the localizer and then follow it to the runway. I assume therefore that generally the localizer needs to align with the runway. An extreme example of a large magvar is YSSY (-13) so that rwy 07 has a true heading of ~74.079 while the localizer has a heading of ~ 61.079. Flying on ~61.079 does not align the aircraft with the runway unless the instrumentation is adjusted to allow for the magvar?

So how does this get handled? Do we change the localizer heading in the airport data to take account of the magvar. I think there are some ILS not aligned with the runway though.

I would like to get a definitive approach to handling localizer data so that it works correctly for ILS approaches.

All advice and suggestions much appreciated

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Jon, it is my understanding, which is also carefully constrained on a pin, that the localizer intercepts the glide slope. In two dimensions, this could be seen as a horizontal plane, that is the localizer signal that draws the plane in like a moth from any direction. The glide slope would be an angled "track" that descends through the localizer plane, planes fly under and then into the glide slope to meet it.

That is the end of my smattering of understanding and the rest is pure superstition, but it seems likely that the instrumentation has a range to account for this variance in trajectory, that would make alignment adjustments in both the vertical and horizontal, presuming the plane was able to intersect the glide slope in the first place.

Country
us-newyork
For US airports, the definitive source for information on any specific ILS’s technical parameters is the FAA’s eNASR web site.

You would select “Instrument Landing System” from the menu, and enter the ILS identifier without the leading “I”. It gives a wealth of information about all components of a given ILS. The localizer heading is listed in degrees magnetic.

Unfortunately this only covers ILS systems in the 50 US states and US territories.

Well - my last flip has been a while ago but as far as I remember the Runway heading (the numbers painted on) were magnetic as well. At my homeport they were changing the numbers the other day because the magnetic northpole keeps moving (sob) what actually caused some confusion over the next couple of weeks - was fun thou.....;)

Country
norway
For my latest airports ive been setting the ILS heading to what is mentioned in the AIP and charts. This shows up as the course that is auto-tracked on fms displays (a320, g1000's etc)

Then playing with the magvar for each ILS to position the aircraft on the correct track when in the Sim. On my last project the magvar was stated as 2E, (358 in the Sim) but I believe I ended up with ~1.5E (358.5) to get the correct alignment..

-- Finn

Sent fra min MAR-LX1A via Tapatalk

Country
germany
Well - my last flip has been a while ago but as far as I remember the Runway heading (the numbers painted on) were magnetic as well. At my homeport they were changing the numbers the other day because the magnetic northpole keeps moving (sob) what actually caused some confusion over the next couple of weeks - was fun thou.....;)
You are correct, Runway headings are almost always stated as magnetic headings so you can use a magnetic compass to align your aircraft with the runway, so if the runway heading stated in the approach chart is 242 and your magnetic heading indicator, HSI or whatever shows 242 on approach you should be aligned with the centerline of the runway. What's also correct is that the magnetic field lines change direction over time so sometimes runway headings change, too. Look at Speyer airport in Germany (EDRY) which still has a slightly visible runway marking reading 35 and 27 respectively which has been painted over with 34 / 16 a few years before the runway extension was built. Salzburg airport in Austria (LOWS) also had its runway heading changed a few years ago. The only place where true headings are stated in charts is the northernmost Arctic if I'm not mistaken, for example northern Canada, where the field lines run almost horizontally so the magnetic deviation is absurdly high and changes rapidly so it would not be feasible to use magnetic headings here.