• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

I'm new - Trying to better understand ground polys and resampled imagery.

Country
unitedstates
Hello,

I'm attempting to build a small airport near my hometown, primarily in 3DS Max, for use in P3D4 as freeware. I'm looking for a bit of guidance from those with experience.

Up to this point, I've been able to create a resampled photo of the area around the airport that clings to the terrain mesh and I've begun the creation of taxiways, runway, and apron over a reference image. I have some experience in Max, coming from a background in concept art and illustration, and I've been spending a lot of time reading through the P3D SDK documention as well as the forums and wiki here. I've run into some hurdles, however.

- The satellite imagery that I've used for the resampled photo is sourced from Google, and cannot be released as part of the scenery package unless I purchase the rights to use it as such. Is there any way around this in the United States? Maybe a USGS source?
- Following the tutorials (mainly the one from Tic) I was able to gain some exposure to creating ground polygons. I did run into an issue with the sizing of the reference plane in Max not matching up with the scale of my satellite photo. Why do both negative and positive values for x and y dimensions need to be input for the reference plane? In doing this, when I create a rectangle for my runway and input its size in meters, it's only half the size of the one in the reference image. I do have Max's units set to meters.
- Do people typically use ADE for flattening and exclusions, or SBuilderX? Is one better than the other at any of these tasks?
- Lastly, beyond the taxiways, apron, and runway, what's the most common method for handling the rest of the ground around the airport? Relying solely on the resampled image doesn't appear to be ideal, as it's quite low resolution. I watched a video on Youtube where the tutorial showed slicing up the satellite image into 1k squares and essentially tiling the texture onto a subdivided plane in Max, but the person demonstrating it seemed to not fully understand how to properly carry this out and ended up with an imprecise scaling of his airport ground over the resampled satellite photo. Is there any further illumination of this technique anywhere?

It's this last point which has been really eating away at me for the last few days, as I can't seem to find anything concrete on the subject. I have even deconstructed a couple of payware sceneries I own that seem to use this tiling method, just to see if there was anything telling, but it hasn't revealed a whole lot to me. One of them seemed to use multiple planes of equal size, underneath or along with the ground polys, rather than a single subdivided plane, with cuts made to suit the surrounding terrain (it was a coastal airport at the mouth of a river).

Hopefully I'm asking the right questions. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out, as well as those who have already helped via their tutorials and forum posts.

Country
greece
Hi there ! :wave:
I just recently started building airports my self, so yeah :), for the first time in my life... and came across a very useful tutorial series ...(it's 5 or 6 videos i think)
Right now i am using <<SbuilderX 3.15>> , together with ""airport design editor v.177_7018_beta"". I use P3D 4.5
...don't know if it helps but i 'm gonna post this anyway here, you know, THAT guy's video helped me a LOT to get good image for my airport :
...... especially in tutorial #2. I hope this helps you somehow ....

I found out that, google sat images, in most areas (such as military for example), don't give you the best resaults,
sometimes even "blurring" these areas purposely !!
In this video i linked above, you 'll see some altenative tricks how to get a good image for your airport.
;) regards

Dimitri.

Last edited: