• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Images Are Fuzzy When Imported into Sketchup

Hi,
I was importing an aerial view of KBHM taken in 1970 and once imported, the image is very fuzzy when I zoom in. I can zoom in the original image and the image still looks fairly good. But after it's imported into Skethcup, it is quite fuzzy when I zoom in. Is there a reason for that, and is there a way to make the resolution as good as the original? I thought I could scale, or measure it out using the actual lengths of the runways in sketchup. It been very hard to do trying to get it the correct size and align it into google earth pro using the "Add Imgage Overlay." Every time I use one end of the image to line it up, it effects the other side. If the metadata gave some information as to the distance from top to bottom and left to right, it could probably be done, but the projection may not be quite correct, and I think Gary stated that. It seems that there should be some way to make it line up perfectly using the coordinates provided in the metadata, but it still does not size out correctly nor line up. I tried everything I could. I got it to line up good in ADE but just can't do it in google earth. Maybe I should try to get the dimensions from ADE and try that.

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

If you explain more specifically what your goal is for use of the imagery in Sketchup and Google Earth, I may be better able to help. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

If you explain more specifically what your goal is for use of the imagery in Sketchup and Google Earth, I may be better able to help. :)

GaryGB

I'm trying to create a photo ground map that I can use in FS. I've been using the later images from google earth but I wanted the 1970 image I found at USGS Explorer. Just like I"ve been trying to do with my KBHM 1970 project.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
IIUC, you still want to make a accurately Geo-referenced 1970 B+W imagery BGL to 'drape' as a terrain-mesh-clinging texture onto the ground in FSX / P3D ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Sketchup will not be the application to use for the task you are apparently trying to perform.

Furthermore, there are limits as to what image resolution can actually be displayed within the Sketchup work-space.

While I have been able to load fairly large images in 64-Bit versions of Sketchup, an internal MIPMAP engine will limit the effective resolution displayed within the workspace even if one configures maximum texture resolution via:

Sketchup Menu > Window > Preferences > {OpenGL} tab > OpenGL Settings > Use Maximum Texture Size

SBuilderX and a GIS utility such as Global Mapper (payware) or QGIS (freeware) would be required instead.

GIS applications and the specific tasks required for your KBHM project, have a substantial learning curve.

This is complicated by poorly explained procedures in available online documentation for those tasks.

I believe making a accurately Geo-referenced 1970 B+W imagery BGL would best be discussed in this existing thread:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-a-photo-real-image.441699/page-3#post-826408

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

Sketchup will not be the application to use for the task you are apparently trying to perform.

Furthermore, there are limits as to what image resolution can actually be displayed within the Sketchup work-space.

While I have been able to load fairly large images in 64-Bit versions of Sketchup, an internal MIPMAP engine will limit the effective resolution displayed within the workspace even if one configures maximum texture resolution via:

Sketchup Menu > Window > Preferences > {OpenGL} tab > OpenGL Settings > Use Maximum Texture Size

SBuilderX and a GIS utility such as Global Mapper (payware) or QGIS (freeware) would be required instead.

GIS applications and the specific tasks required for your KBHM project, have a substantial learning curve.

This is complicated by poorly explained procedures in available online documentation for those tasks.

I believe making a accurately Geo-referenced 1970 B+W imagery BGL would best be discussed in this existing thread:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-a-photo-real-image.441699/page-3#post-826408

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

Thanks for these tips. This has given me something to keep in mind. I'll check out that Global Mapper and the QGIS and see what I come up with, and I'll use that link provided to discuss making an accurately Geo-reference 1970 KBHM.

Ken.