• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Import glTF files into Blender

Country
unitedstates
Hello, although I've been successful at exporting my custom objects out of Blender into MSFS, I've not been able to import already made .glTF's (Asobo made stock objects) into Blender. I've tried using the stock .glTF importer and also another importer I found on github (KSons glTF 2.0 importer) with no luck.

I'm trying to edit just a few things to stock objects so if anyone can help me import them into Blender, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-PEACE FARM
1599426576962.png

Country
australia
Asobo compiled glTF cannot be imported as they can be either copy protected or non-standard format. So making changes to stock files is not an option at the moment.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I really don't intent to add an MSFS importer to the Blender toolkit. While I understand how it can further one's understanding of the process by simply disassembling someone else's work, it also opens the door for plagiarism. This is already an issue in the community.
On top of that, it's actually not that simple to implement to begin with. We would need two types of importers, depending on whether you'd like to get your model from the packages or from the sourcePackage. You'd need an interpreter that takes all the extensions of the various materials and based on that figures out what material mode was used to create it.
Ultimately, the toolkit is there to support the creation of 3D assets for flightsim. Since Arno is working on a MSFS extension for MCX, I won't be touching the MSFS import in the foreseeable future.

Country
unitedstates
I really don't intent to add an MSFS importer to the Blender toolkit. While I understand how it can further one's understanding of the process by simply disassembling someone else's work, it also opens the door for plagiarism. This is already an issue in the community.
On top of that, it's actually not that simple to implement to begin with. We would need two types of importers, depending on whether you'd like to get your model from the packages or from the sourcePackage. You'd need an interpreter that takes all the extensions of the various materials and based on that figures out what material mode was used to create it.
Ultimately, the toolkit is there to support the creation of 3D assets for flightsim. Since Arno is working on a MSFS extension for MCX, I won't be touching the MSFS import in the foreseeable future.

Thank you for the reply, Vitus. That makes complete sense. I would have really liked to customize a few things in the Piper Cub's cockpit and although it saddens me to learn that an importer is not on the agenda, it's bittersweet as with this method, I assume our custom (commercial) assets should be relatively safe of plagiarism, correct?