• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Import GP

Country
mongolia
Hi All,
maybe a stupid question,
due to a computer crash I lost almost all of my scenery.
However, I found an older copy of my GP.
Can I import it into my scenery in ADE?
Is there such a thing as 'Import GP'?
Thanks in advance,
Peter from Tsonjingboldog

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If by GP you mean the custom group poly bgl file then I am sorry but there is not a way to import that into an ADE project or create an ADE project from it.

Country
mongolia
That's bad luck for me. Thank you anyway for your response.
Peter from Tsonjingboldog

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You can place it in FS, then use the FS/ADE connection to mark the outlines of the old GP's creating new ones in ADE. That's about as good as you can do.

Country
mongolia
Hi
Well it gets better and better thanks Garry
Grtz from Peter Tsonjingboldog/Mongolia

Country
mongolia
Dit heb ik geïmporteerd met "Ground Polygon Wizard".
En wat nu?
Ik heb op uw link geklikt maar kan niet dadelijk iets vinden.
Grtz
Peter

import GP.jpg

Country
us-illinois
Dit heb ik geïmporteerd met "Ground Polygon Wizard".
En wat nu?
Ik heb op uw link geklikt maar kan niet dadelijk iets vinden.
Grtz
Peter

English is the language used in the forums here; try using this website to translate into English:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...2gEGCAEQARgJ2gEGCAIQARgI&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Note that the MCX ZIP download file contains a manual: ModelConverterX.pdf

Google search results for MCX:

GaryGB

Country
mongolia
Sorry, I forgot to translate in English
I imported this with "Ground Polygon Wizard".
And what now?
I clicked on your link but can't find anything right away.
Peter

Country
us-illinois
Hi Peter:

IIUC, these are your scenery packages:

https://library.avsim.net/search.ph...er+peter&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1&Go=Change+View

If so, what is your goal ? :scratchch

Are you wanting to recover the source code ?

Or did you simply want to download the working compiled packages themselves ?

PS: Which of the above listed scenery packages have Ground Polygons (aka "GP's" in ADE syntax) that you may wish to recover ?

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
mongolia
Hi Gary,
I made the sceneries in AVSIM a long time ago.
I am now working on a new scenery, EBFN Koksijde, but then I had a computer crash.
I have a backup of the GP in a BGL file.
Whenever I place this backup GP BGL in my scenery and open P3Dv4, I can see the GPs nicely in my scenery.
But when I change something in the scenery with ADE and Compile, the GP file is no longer in my scenery.
So what I would like is for the GP to remain in my scenery, even AFTER editing with ADE.
Grtz
Peter
1.jpg

Country
us-illinois
ADE author Jon Masterson (aka "scruffyduck") is best qualified to comment on how the ADE 1.79x GP feature set works.

Your alternative is to process your flat / level textured 3D object Ground Polygons (aka "G-Polys") via Arno's MCX using the Ground Polygon Wizard.

This may output your G-Polys into a stand-alone BGL, and they will not be visible as a native part of an ADE project file.

I am not certain how they will be displayed in ADE's work-space if imported to ADE and placed via the Library Object Manager (aka "LOM") feature.

IIUC, to do what you are trying to do, the GP must be created within ADE GP Editor feature and stored inside a ADE project.

If that is the case, and you do not wish to work with G-Polys outside ADE via MCX, you must re-create the GP inside a ADE project as Tom stated above.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/import-gp.456338/post-909732

GaryGB

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you change the name of the GP BGL file it will not be removed by ADE when compiling.

Country
mongolia
As Tom said, 'If you change the name of the GP BGL file it will not be removed by ADE when compiling.'
- I changed my old GP name. (PETER CORVETTE).
- As a test I created a polyline, and a new GP BGL is created.
So now I have 2 GP in my scenery,
one (old) that I can no longer edit.
a second one that I can edit.
@ Gary, I will now continue searching with your tips

Grtz
Peter
1.jpg
2.jpg

Country
mongolia
Hi Gary,
I tried the below, but then I get the GP in ADE and not in the flight simulator.
The GPs are not editable.

Open “MCX”.
Click “Wizards”.
Click on “Ground Polygon Wizard”
Behind “Select file to convert” you choose the “old GP”.
Click “Open”.
Choose your flight simulator version “P3Dv4”.
Click on “Convert”.
Close “MCX”.
Open the scenery and the "GP BGL" is there.
Open the scenery in “ADE”.
Click on “Tools”.
Click on “Library Object Manager”.
Click on “Add file”.
Go to the “GP BGL”.
Click on “Open”.
Click on “Save”.
There are (in my case) 15 files in the Library Object Manager.
Click “with the right mouse button”.
Click on “Add”.
Click on “Library Object”.
Choose the “First Object”.
Click on “Add”.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Correct - there is no way to get GP's editable in ADE from a BGL file. None.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Peter:

In MCX, one may export the G-Poly into a 3D export file format, then edit the geometry and any mapped textures in 3D modeling and graphics applications.

One can then re-import the 3D model into MCX, apply any desired attributes to the G-Poly, then compile it to BGL ...via the G-Polygon Wizard..

If you attach- or link to- the G-Poly and all mapped textures, we would be better able to see what the EBFN Koksijde G-Poly under discussion here may involve.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
mongolia
Hi Gary,

I have attached the 'old' GP BGL file.
This is the file in question.
As said above I can put it in my FS scenery and see it too.
But I can't see and edit it in ADE.
So what I would really like is to insert this GP into ADE and then be able to edit it in ADE.
If this doesn't work, I'll start drawing the GPs again and thank you and Tom and Jon for your help.
Grtz
Peter

Attachments

• EBFN_ADEP4_ZZIP_GP.bgl
    65.6 KB · Views: 52
Country
us-illinois
Hi Peter:

The above attached GP BGL can be imported into MCX via its Ground Polygon Wizard feature:

ebfn_adep4_zzip_gp_mcx_gp-wizard-jpg.85194

...and can be exported via MCX' default workspace GUI, to a Collada *.DAE or other 3D exchange format file.

It can then be imported to Sketchup (or another 3D modeling app) to perform any desired edits:

ebfn_adep4_zzip_gp_dae-jpg.85195

When the edited GP is imported into MCX via its Ground Polygon Wizard feature, any FS8-type attributes may be implmented.

IIUC, these types of SCASM / ASM -based, flat / level 3D Ground Polygons are similar ...regardless of the app used to author them.

When compiled via SCASM / BGL_C, you get a G-Poly that can be displayed via its BGL just as any made via ADE (or SBuilder for FS9).

IIRC, the only substantial difference would be that you would not have the GP object shown in the ADE workspace GUI.

I have not tested this yet, but I suspect there may be a way to get a 3D object "2D footprint" to show in ADE ...for a 3rd party G-Poly.

While I understand your greater familiarity with the ADE GP Editor is preferable, AFAIK, it may be deprecated due to Don's untimely passing.

IIUC, Don Grovestine had implemented a highly sophisticated method of working with these SCASM / ASM based "FS2002 / FS8" objects.

AFAIK, ADE_GP_Editor saved vector data for points / vertices to a proprietary data format prior to output of source code for compilation.

I do not know how ADE GP's are saved, nor do I know how ADE GP's load / display from a ADE GP project file into ADE's workspace GUI.

You could use satellite imagery from ESRI ArcGIS World Imagery Clarity tileserver to make a custom photo-real BGL or ADE background image:

ebfn_sas_planet_esri_arcgis_clarity_tileserver-jpg.85197

ebfn_sas_planet_esri_arcgis_clarity_tileserver_detail-jpg.85198

ebfn_sas_planet_esri_arcgis_clarity_tileserver_detail-2jpg-jpg.85201

Or, if manually tracing over a high resolution ADE background image derived from SBuilderX' tileserver also offers no advantage:

ebfn_sbuilderx_thunderforestlandscae_tileserver-jpg.85196

...then one must manually trace the GP loaded via a BGL, in a FS-ADE FSUIPC linked flight ...to get its point coordinates into ADE GP_Editor.

[EDITED]

I do not use ADE_GP_Editor, so my insight here is limited; but if one reads the ADE Ground Polys manual via Dons' stuff4fs website:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=ADE_GP&JS=true

http://stuff4fs.com/Applications/ADE_GP/ADE-GP - User Manual.pdf

...one sees this possibility on Page 25 of 36:

"30 November, 2021

Importing Ground Polys
Those of you who have previously created FS8-style ground polys for your airport using Gmax
and FS8 MakeMDL (or some other set of tools) may now wish to integrate those ground polys
into your airport AD3 file. ADE allows you to do this using the Import Ground Polys function
under the File menu.

First, ensure that all required textures are available in your Textures and Textures_Dpy folders.
(ADE_GP won't import any objects from a file unless all required textures are available in those
folders. It will, however, list the texture files that are missing.) Then, for each file to be imported,
click ADE's File / Import Ground Polys menu item, navigate to the .asm file (not the _0.asm file) -
tweaked or un-tweaked - containing the ground polys and click Open on the File Open dialog. (If
un-tweaked, you'll be asked to specify the layer number to be assigned.) Your ground polys
should immediately appear on your ADE display.

The importer is not perfect. It attempts to re-create lines and polys from individual triangles.
However, it has no reference for doing so other than the position of the vertices comprising the
triangles as generated by Gmax and MakeMdl and the sequence in which it encounters those
triangles. So, what you created as a single large poly may be imported as several smaller
components. And what you considered to be a line may be imported as a poly and vice versa"

In theory, one might configure MCX to save the *.ASM file it creates along with the *.X file during MDL compilation. :idea:

Normally, a SCASM / ASM -based G-Poly is not compiled to a MDL, but perhaps one could output a MDL to get these files. :stirthepo

Perhaps that source data might be compatible with ADE_GP_Editor if placed in the required folder(s) during GP Import ? :scratchch

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Attachments

• EBFN_ADEP4_ZZIP_GP_dae.jpg
    EBFN_ADEP4_ZZIP_GP_dae.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 195
  • EBFN_ADEP4_ZZIP_GP_MCX_GP+Wizard.jpg
    EBFN_ADEP4_ZZIP_GP_MCX_GP+Wizard.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 193
  • EBFN_SBuilderX_ThunderForestLandscae_Tileserver.jpg
    EBFN_SBuilderX_ThunderForestLandscae_Tileserver.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 180