Improvement suggestions

hcornea

Resource contributor
Ability to Save a "Project"

ie source KML files, output directories etc.

This would enable easy switching between one group of KML files / scenery project and another

hcornea

Resource contributor
If you were able to Track down Lee Swordy - some form of integration into AFCAD (even if you could view the FSX KML polygons as an underlay on the AFCAD grid.

These two programs would be unbelievably useful if combined.

I don't know if it can be done or not, but would it be possible to be able to convert a polygon to a line? Suppose someone was working on a project that included a peninsula. Retracing a polygon exactly for the shoreline is an unattractive prospect compared to being able to just copy the polygon that was drawn for the polygonhole. After converting it to a line, the user could just delete the appropriate vertices to "open" up the line. I attached a pair of before and after images to show what I'm describing.

Attachments

I don't know if it can be done or not, but would it be possible to be able to convert a polygon to a line? Suppose someone was working on a project that included a peninsula. Retracing a polygon exactly for the shoreline is an unattractive prospect compared to being able to just copy the polygon that was drawn for the polygonhole. After converting it to a line, the user could just delete the appropriate vertices to "open" up the line. I attached a pair of before and after images to show what I'm describing.
Good idea. I'll add this to the 1.08 vertice editor.

In the meantime you would have to manually change the type using notepad.

Good idea. I'll add this to the 1.08 vertice editor.

In the meantime you would have to manually change the type using notepad.
Thanks. I hadn't quite dared to edit it with Notepad yet and was hoping to have a way to do it a little more easily. By the time I finish my project, I'll have eight future peninsulas that need worked on.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Is there some way for FSX_KML to look at the textures and display a sample of them - prehaps on the shapeviewer pane, or alternatively where the TAGS are displayed.

It is probably a leap forward - but the Terrain.cfg ordering could be interpreted, it may be useful to see see which textures would take priority before compiling / running FSX and finding that I've messed something up!

Another suggestion is that when a build is attempted and FSX is still running in the background, the scenery files are locked, and unless you read the dialog box the fact that the build has not completed may go under the radar.

If an error message could be generated (rather than build completed) that might be useful.

Ability to have a single poly have multiple tags.

My thought goes like this.

If you need to create a polyhole and an 'underlying' texture, it would be nice to be able to have the google earth description drive the creation of the second poly.

Eg Polygon name :

FoxBay Airstrip

Description :

PolygonHole
LandClass_Dirt

The fact that there are two descriptions causes the polygon to be duplicated.
The first copy takes on the tag of Polygon Hole, and the second takes on the tag of LandClass_Dirt.

Amen to the polygon / polyline converter...

Airport Design Support...

Something to add as an idea / suggestion even if on the development roadmap

Airport Component Tags

Eg. Taxiwaypath, apron etc
as i'm reworking an airport in fsx by creating an .kml file then renaming to .txt
where i'm moving the coordinate data around in excel before adding the apron, lat lon tags etc back into my original apx#######.bgl file

just wish there was something that could rearrange the coordinate data as google earth seems to list the lon. first then the lat. and so forth so editing in excel by moving the lon and lat to where they should be.

anyway supporting this excellent tool.
Regards
Gareth
Vads
Virtual Aerospace Design SA
http://vadsa.50webs.org. email info@vadsa.50webs.org

Instead of open with Notepad, which is really an unholy mess of a text editor :D . Could you do open with 'Helper' and allow us to specify our helper program.

It could default to notepad.exe (especially since that is in the path), but that would allow me to specify altova.com 's xmlspy (which has a free to use home edition) ;)

My Falklands kml has WELL over 30,662 vertices for the west island and 24,187 for the east. I only got my wacom tablet when my mouse hand started to catch fire :eek:

Notepad doesn't cut it at all... My kml is 9.5Mb

Last edited:
Instead of open with Notepad, which is really an unholy mess of a text editor :D . Could you do open with 'Helper' and allow us to specify our helper program.

It could default to notepad.exe (especially since that is in the path), but that would allow me to specify altova.com 's xmlspy (which has a free to use home edition) ;)

My Falklands kml has WELL over 30,662 vertices for the west island and 24,187 for the east. I only got my wacom tablet when my mouse hand started to catch fire :eek:

Notepad doesn't cut it at all... My kml is 9.5Mb
Good idea! Will try with upcoming 1.08

My thought goes like this.

If you need to create a polyhole and an 'underlying' texture, it would be nice to be able to have the google earth description drive the creation of the second poly.

Eg Polygon name :

FoxBay Airstrip

Description :

PolygonHole
LandClass_Dirt

The fact that there are two descriptions causes the polygon to be duplicated.
The first copy takes on the tag of Polygon Hole, and the second takes on the tag of LandClass_Dirt.

Amen to the polygon / polyline converter...
Was thinking of adding a "AutoPolygonHole" property to each polygon... so that you could just set that property for a polygon and it would automatcially generate a polyhole, ie no need to multitag or to manually copy polygon and tag as polygonhole....

Will try to put into upcoming 1.08

Was thinking of adding a "AutoPolygonHole" property to each polygon... so that you could just set that property for a polygon and it would automatcially generate a polyhole, ie no need to multitag or to manually copy polygon and tag as polygonhole....

Will try to put into upcoming 1.08
Being cheeky with the auto polygon hole feature - how about also doing an auto shores feature - it takes the polygon, optionally makes a hole, and optionally makes a polyline ?

Now THAT would be cool :

GoogleEarth tag of

'PolygonHole
Landtype_Grass
CreateShoreline'

?

You can tell I'm fixated on multi parameter google earth descriptions.

Seriously though, the more I understand this program - and making vector landscapes for fsx - the more I'm stunned that you had the imagination to get where you are.

My hat is well and truly off to you. Magic application sir !!!

Best Regards,

Brian.

The development road map used to include something about removing restriction that polygon hole must be in same folder as polygon. Was this dropped because it just didn't work or some other negative outcome? I was really looking forward to being able to better organize my myriad of tiny islands, but if its not possible oh well.

The development road map used to include something about removing restriction that polygon hole must be in same folder as polygon. Was this dropped because it just didn't work or some other negative outcome? I was really looking forward to being able to better organize my myriad of tiny islands, but if its not possible oh well.
Good spotting! I've put it back in the roadmap. Not even sure why i removed it in the first place. But you're right it is necessary for better organization of KML projects.

I thought somewhere I saw it mentioned that on-screen editing of vertices in the shape window was a feature being thought of for the future. Is that still in the cards?