• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Incorrect Time Zones - Washington DC, Russia, Midway Island

Country
us-florida
I've notice the time zones are way off the Washington DC area airports and Eastern Russia (UHSS, UHPP, etc) To make the timezone correct for Washington, you have to change the state to Virginia or Maryland. To make Eastern Russia correct, you have to change the country to New Zealand, to make PMDY (Midway) correct, you have to change country to Samoa. These didn't used to be a problem, but recent releases broke something. Can these be fixed please? Right now all of Russia shows UTC +3. This would only apply to Western Russia around Moscow, etc. Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Aeroflot used to print all their schedules using Moscow time. I don't know what the Russian airlines do these days.

Country
us-florida
That's all fine but what about the others that are wrong? Are they just going to stay incorrect? I get frequent updates on this app and it is a very good app but the timezone issue can be problematic.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
If I recall the timezone data is just a txt file that can be changed.. correct me if I'm wrong...

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It was with some reluctance that I initially added the Local Time capability to AIFP, even recognizing how popular the feature was likely to be. That reluctance was based on the fact that no such database would ever be perfect, since:
  • it would have to address a constantly expending number of airports,
  • MS/LM often changed airport data with new releases of their products
and there would be many users who failed to appreciate those facts. Secondly, the use of any such database would necessarily be constrained by the diligence (or lack thereof) of the stock and add-on airport developer to adhere to a unwritten set of standards for naming airports. In the end, optimism reigned and I developed the necessary capability together with a editor to allow each individual user to maintain the database for his/her own-specific purposes.

Speedbyrd, AIFP's time zone offset capability matches the airport name data in the airport .bgl, i.e., country, region, city) to an internal database (Timezones.dat) containing similar data (worldwide) configured looking for the best possible match. Your opinion that the timezone data is wrong is simply misinformed. (I could agree with "incomplete", but for the most part I think you'll find it accurate.
  • Both FS9 and FSX stock airports designate the "region" for Washington airports as Virginia". It was LM who changed the region to "DC" in PV5. The solution is simple, if you are using Pv5, add a state named "DC" to you timezone data.
  • There has always been a reference to Midway Island as a "region"; not sure why you've been unable to find it. Perhaps an addon-developer failed to designate Midway Island as the region for the airport.
  • There are 10 references to various Russian timezones. But, of course, for them to have any effect, there must be a match in the airport .bgl name data.
Whatever fix is required is within your capability. Just add ahar

All this being said, it's probably time for a general timezone update for AIFP

Country
us-florida
It was with some reluctance that I initially added the Local Time capability to AIFP, even recognizing how popular the feature was likely to be. That reluctance was based on the fact that no such database would ever be perfect, since:
and there would be many users who failed to appreciate those facts. Secondly, the use of any such database would necessarily be constrained by the diligence (or lack thereof) of the stock and add-on airport developer to adhere to a unwritten set of standards for naming airports. In the end, optimism reigned and I developed the necessary capability together with a editor to allow each individual user to maintain the database for his/her own-specific purposes.

Speedbyrd, AIFP's time zone offset capability matches the airport name data in the airport .bgl, i.e., country, region, city) to an internal database (Timezones.dat) containing similar data (worldwide) configured looking for the best possible match. Your opinion that the timezone data is wrong is simply misinformed. (I could agree with "incomplete", but for the most part I think you'll find it accurate.
  • Both FS9 and FSX stock airports designate the "region" for Washington airports as Virginia". It was LM who changed the region to "DC" in PV5. The solution is simple, if you are using Pv5, add a state named "DC" to you timezone data.
  • There has always been a reference to Midway Island as a "region"; not sure why you've been unable to find it. Perhaps an addon-developer failed to designate Midway Island as the region for the airport.
  • There are 10 references to various Russian timezones. But, of course, for them to have any effect, there must be a match in the airport .bgl name data.

I'm not 'misinformed'. The data is wrong in some of the airports. I see no reference to Midway Island in the version I'm using.

I'm not 'misinformed'. The data is wrong in some of the airports. I see no reference to Midway Island in the version I'm using. I would agree it's time for an update which fixes these as I don't like messing with the inner workings of such apps.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The data is wrong in some of the airports.
Some users would have noted the specific data that is wrong and offered the correction

I see no reference to Midway Island in the version I'm using.
If you open Timezone_Base.dat in the Base Data folder, using Notepad's Find command you will find two entries for Midway Islands - one as a US protectorate and the other as a standalone country. If those items haven't found their way into Timezone.dat in your AIFP main folder, then perhaps you should review the installation section of the user manual

I don't like messing with the inner workings of such apps.
Oh! I see. You think I should remain responsible for continual updates forever - even after giving you the app and a variety of editors to keep it up-to-date as regards your own use? How much did you pay for your copy of AIFP? Perhaps there's another freeware AI flight planning app that would better suit your preferences.

Country
us-florida

Yes it is because a lot of the time zone data is wrong.

Country
us-florida
I know what Don said and it's not my job to correct YOUR app. There are too many errors for me to fix myself. If you're not interested in maintaining your app, then don't. This is why I hate going on to developer sites but there are too many self inflated egos on here. You can keep that and so can Don. The timezones are incorrect and I've found a workaround. Sorry I brought it up and no further discussion needed. Later!

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Speedbyrd, we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. AIFP is a mature product that has been used by thousands over the past 15 years to facilitate their enjoyment of Flightsim. During that time it has been developed and re-developed as new versions of Flightsim and P3D were introduced. I think it's fair to say there's not a single issue that has not been addressed where it was reasonable to do so. For the most part, communication has been polite and understanding. Most users understand that the development and support of such tools requires a great deal of effort, are appreciative of the situation and recognize they have made no investment in the tool whatsoever.

You, on the other hand, are a new user with, apparently, a very different set of expectations. You seem to believe that if you consider something to be wrong, it is wrong regardless of circumstances and that we should expend whatever level of effort is required to ensure your expectations are met. Explanations to the contrary are met with rudeness and in at least one case, flame-mail.

Yesterday, elsewhere in this forum, I posted an analysis of the current situation re local time zones and explained why AIFP will never be able to handle local times zone in a manner that would meet your expectations - because AIFP cannot predict (or control) how add-on airport developers assign name data. As well, I noted that I had fixed the handful of instances where AIFP was not finding time zones it should have. Please read that post and understand that no level of complaint from you will change that reality.

Your communications so far in this thread have not generally been in the spirit of this forum. You have acquired a copy of AIFP at no charge. There were no warranties or other guarantees, just a simple right-to-use license. You are welcome to continue to use AIFP - and even ask for support in a respectful manner when appropriate. We welcome reports of legitimate issues - which have always been fixed on a priority basis - legitimate meaning issues of substances that prevent AIFP from being used in the intended manner and that are not due to problems with the user's system or input data.

On the other hand, if you are not happy with the tool, then please move on and leave us alone. Otherwise, you will quickly learn how it feels to be ignored.