• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Increase AFLT Beacon Flash Rate (Resolved)

Country
india
Hello Team,

I have created custom REIL Strobe light for FSXA and is working fine in down, dusk and night time . I have selected Beacon with white color (using custom Colors.txt setting) to get it working.

I am getting 60 flash per min as per default application setting.

Is it possible to get 120 flashes per min. or more ? Or is there any other way to create REIL Strobe using AFLT which will flash alike default FSX airport REIL's.

Take Care .. Anuj.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Anuj, AFLT's strobes can flash at about 135, 72 or 36 flashes per minute and can be synchronized with an associated "running rabbit". You can also make them unidirectional.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,

Thanks for prompt response.
I am little bit confused here with strobe setting in application gui. It would be better if you can explain a little bit more, if possible.

Unfortunately my PC crashed today. Once it will be ready I will try as per your suggestion.

Take Care.. Anuj

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Create a single strobe element with any sequence number (since you are not synchronizing with anything) in a sequence of 8 (the fastest blink rate) and with any seed value. Record the assigned GUID or specify your own. Save the element. Then, create a library file and place it as you would any other scenery object.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,

Thanks again. Well explained, I will try it soon.

Take Care.. Anuj

Country
india
Hello Don,

Today I have checked creating single strobe as per your suggestions, but unfortunately is not working. I have also tested it keeping ADE light setting (REIL) On and Off both, but results are same.
Please advice.

Take Care ... Anuj

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please send me your AFLT Library folder so that I can see what you've done.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,

Thanks for reply.
Please find attached library folder for your reference. I am using "lib_as_reil_strobe_Lights.bgl" file for this which is located in fs9 directory. I am using AFLT version 1.100(f)

Take Care ... Anuj.

Attachments

• Runway_Lights.zip
    93.1 KB · Views: 266

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Anuj, by "AFLT Library folder", I meant the folder containing your element INI folder, compiled lights and models, array definition, etc., not your object library. (Please refer to the user manual for a more complete definition) I need that data to see how you have specified the REIL.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,

Sorry for delay in response.
Unfortunately my PC mother board got dead so I could not be able to share required file for few more days.

Take Care.. Anuj

Country
india
Hello Don,

Please find my AFLT library folder as attachment.

Take Care ... Anuj

Attachments

• AFLT.zip
    116.4 KB · Views: 317

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Anuj, I see nothing wrong with the light definitions other than, in the case of the REILs, you appear to be using a custom base. (Use of a custom base is OK, but without having that base, I can't comment otherwise on why the light doesn't work in your application.)

However, now I am uncertain as to what you are trying to do. This thread started off by saying
I am getting 60 flash per min as per default application setting
without actually stating to which "default application settings" you were referring. I advised you how to get 135 flashes/min - which, in fact, is AFLT's default setting and the only possible result unless your TICK18 variable is being clocked (internally by FS) at a non-standard rate. You then responded
Today I have checked creating single strobe as per your suggestions, but unfortunately is not working. I have also tested it keeping ADE light setting (REIL) On and Off both, but results are same.
Your reference to an ADE setting seemed curious at the time . But now, having seen your Library Folder, it is more meaningful.

AFLT generates a library of standalone light elements that must be placed geographically like any other scenery objects. AFLT lights have nothing to do with the stock lights and will not automatically substitute for them. To use AFLT lights, you must suppress the stock lights (instructions for doing so in the manual) and place AFTL lights where you want them - either individually or using an array.

You have created an individual .mdl file for the REIL on each side of the runway - even though the lights are identical. Both .mdls are included in a .bgl file (as normal). But you have also created separate library files for the two strobes and the 2 wigwags. (There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this, but it is unusual since a single library file would do.) At no time have you mentioned how you placed those lights. So, I wonder if, perhaps, you've misunderstood the function of AFLT and that you are still looking at stock lights. If you think not, please also send me the custom REIL base model file and the airport .bgl or other bgl that contains the placement data so I can attempt to duplicate your situation.

Incidentally, there are five sets of REIL library files in your Library Folder using a variety of GUIDs. You should probably get rid of 4 of them and ensure the GUIDs in the remaining one match the placement data.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,
Thanks for your time and efforts.
To isolate issue , I have removed all previous bgl's related with this and created default AFLT strobe as per your previous suggestion and it not working as well. My REIL light setting is unchecked inside ADE as well.
I am attaching my custom strobe mdl, AFLT default library, bgl used and my ADE object xml for your reference.
Take Care .. Anuj.

Attachments

• AFLT-library.zip
    41.2 KB · Views: 385
  • custom-model.zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 336
  • final-bgl-AFLT-Default.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 355
  • S07_ADEX_AS_OBJ.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 257

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Anuj, I was hoping you'd send me your airport .bgl or whatever other .bgl file contains the placement for the compiled lights so that I could see what you are seeing. But you've sent me the object .XML file instead. And, maybe it's fortunate you did. Because, I discovered only one of the two strobes is placed in that file. Where is the other one placed?

I compiled the XML file and your strobe/REIL was there - on the stock airport. But, it wasn't textured. This is because you didn't use the requisite texture - obj_AF_Lights.bmp - as set out in the user manual. Nor was the light blinking. This too is probably due to the use of the wrong texture, or perhaps the Types.txt file not being edited correctly to include the custom model. Why don't you stick with AFLT stock models until you are able to place the lights where you want and have them operate as you want. (Your custom model doesn't look much different than the stock model anyway.)

On the positive side, I can see that the code tweaks applied by AFLT for the blinking light are present and appear to be correct. So, once you sort out the base model issues, you should have a rapidly blinking light.

Don

Country
india
Hello Don,

I am sorry for your inconvenience,

Perhaps I could not be explained properly the issue. Currently I am using AFLT stock lights only to identify the issue, which I had mentioned in my previous post. I have checked with stock strobe (file:lib_as_reil_strobe_Lights.bgl) but its not working either. I have also re-checked texture - obj_AF_Lights.bmp and is there in my texture folder.

I am using FSXA (DX10 enabled). I am attaching all required file for your reference.

1. Types.txt
2. Stock AFLT strobe file : lib_as_reil_strobe_Lights.bgl
3. Object placement file (bgl)
4. Colors.txt
5. ADE airport file.

PS : There is only four strobe lights placed at both sides of rwy 34 and 16 with custom REIL.

Take Care ... Anuj

Attachments

• Files.zip
    171.5 KB · Views: 338

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Now that I know we are working with the strobes and not the REILs, things have started to "fall into place".

First, are you using the latest version of AFLT, i.e., 1.1.00 or a later development release? The INI files for those strobes (and also for the REILs) contain several BEACON parameters. Presumably, (since I got flashing lights when I eliminated), that was the underlying problem. If you don't have the latest release, please download it. Then, I suggest you delete all the files in your AFLT\INI folder and redefine your lights. If you need that beacon, define it last. (In the meantime, I'll explore whether or not there is some residual problem with BEACONs. They were an addition and, perhaps, their characteristics are not being properly cleared.)

Also, while it had nothing to do with your problem, strobes generally are placed above ground level. Yours were placed at ground level which would have made them more difficult to see.

Good luck,
Don

PS: Also, please ensure your use the NEW Element button, not Change Name when you create a new element.

Country
india
Hello Don,

Appreciate your efforts.
Yes, we are working on strobes only.
I am using latest development release 1100(d). As per your suggestion I will try to create new one using latest development release.
Basically I am looking for REIL (One strobe on each side of the threshold, flashing synchronized). I am attaching pic for your reference.

Take Care ... Anuj.

Attachments

• strobe.png
    strobe.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 709
Country
india
Hello Don,

Thanks for your suggestion, finally I got flashing strobe with new development release(1100h).
I have a small concern with flash attachpoint. I observed that in default and custom objects I am getting flash at ground level while in MCX model attachpoint looks perfect (pls refer attached pic).

Is there any specific way to get attachpoint in proper place.

Take Care.. Anuj.

Attachments

• as_reilstrobe.mdl
    27.7 KB · Views: 430
  • lib_as_reil_strobe_Lights.bgl
    27.9 KB · Views: 459
  • strobe.jpg
    strobe.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 481
Country
india
Hello Don,

After working whole day on my strobes finally every issue got resolved. Somehow I missed xyz settings in types.txt file corresponding with my custom model. Now everything fixed and working fine as I was expecting.

Thanks again for your prompt and valuable support.

In future it would be better if we can get small documentation about creation of own custom model in gmax, would be very helpful for beginner's like me.

Please consider this thread as resolved !!!

PS : I am using MCX just to get object view in this case.

Take Care.. Anuj

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have a small concern with flash attachpoint. I observed that in default and custom objects I am getting flash at ground level.
If you place a strobe at ground level, the flash will appear at grouind level (as I noted yesterday).
while in MCX model attachpoint looks perfect (pls refer attached pic). Is there any specific way to get attachpoint in proper place.
What are you trying to do with MCX. AFTL includes both FS9 and FSX models - all with attachpoints in the correct place. FS9 models are also (generally) compatible with FSX. The stock models should be used directly.
In future it would be better if we can get small documentation about creation of own custom model in gmax, would be very helpful for beginner's like me.
Perhaps you missed the section of the User Manual entitled SUBSTITUTION OF BASE MODELS.

Don