• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Increase Audio level of Nav radio Morse code Idents

Country
unitedstates
Has anyone any idea on how to increase the Nav radio audio level of its Morse Idents ?
Would this need modifying files in a sound Pak using Wwise ??
Is this even possible to do with an existing Asobo Sound pak file ?

Where to begin ???

Country
australia
Make sure you don't have VHF Signal Degradation turned ON in the General Options/Sound settings. That seems like it would affect the sound level of morse idents based on distance from the station.

Otherwise there are ways to unpack PCK files. I assume the radio sounds are in the fs-base-soundbanks/SoundBanks/Shared.PC.PCK. Sounds like a quick way to waste countless hours especially if you've never used WWise before (my word, that is an unintuitive program if ever I saw one).

Country
unitedstates
Make sure you don't have VHF Signal Degradation turned ON in the General Options/Sound settings. That seems like it would affect the sound level of morse idents based on distance from the station.
Well, that's another issue - VHF Degredation only seems to affect the COM radio audio -- The nav radio level remains the same LOW volume , with no added noise, until the Nominal range of rhe Nav Transmitter, at which point it abruptly stops (when theflag drops)

Country
australia
Yeah, it's not a trivial task. As far as I can tell Wwise itself will not load PCK files so you'd need some third party software to unpack them. I assume PCK files use lossy compression (my project goes from 109MB of wav audio files down to 20MB as a PCK. You simply cannot compress audio that much without losing data) so you'd lose some audio quality there as well. Finally, the project supplied in the SDK has a lot of game syncs which connect parameters to simvars. I don't see any for NAV variables apart from NAV VOLUME which is, I assume 100% when you first load the aircraft but you can adjust it on the glass cockpit.

Bottom line, there is a lot of coding that ASOBO has done to set up the Wwise project to work in MSFS which I sure wouldn't even now how to do from scratch. And that coding seems to be for aircraft models only. They probably have some in house project for the default game sounds which we don't have access to.

Country
unitedstates
It has been suggested to me that the Nav Radio More sound might not even be an audio sound file, but rather a tone generated programmatically. Changing it, as a user, might be a near impossible task.
The other option is to compensate for the low volume, by setting the Nav to max volume, the COM to a lower (matching level), and also reducing all other sounds by a relative amount.
Maybe I'll try that, and hope that one day, Asobo corrects the low Nav audio level.