• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Increase polygons in FS9 trick not working

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill, since the only part of the completed model that suffers from the 4mm threshold autoweld issue, why are you bothering with trying to fix the exterior model portion at all?

Simply export and save the .x files for the exterior, without any rescaling tricks, and only worry about the interior part of the model...

Country
us-arizona
If you don't simplify, and start at the beginning working in a logical order towards the entire model being compiled with BGLC_9, then you're going to go round in circles putting out fires with no idea of their origin.

PropTrash

Roger that. Makes alot of sense.

Do you still have “Auto Interior” checked? I’d turn it off for the export of LOD models.

PropTrash

Auto Interior is turned off.

Bill, since the only part of the completed model that suffers from the 4mm threshold autoweld issue, why are you bothering with trying to fix the exterior model portion at all?

Simply export and save the .x files for the exterior, without any rescaling tricks, and only worry about the interior part of the model...

N4Gix

I did try that on select X files and it crashed BGLC-9. I did however, by mistake, get the 'shadow' model to compile without scaling it and it showed up. I guess shadows are handled differently.

PT,

I am still curious about the Jenny you did that freaked at first with some issues because of ASM editing. Presently, I add the 'Call_32' and 'BGL_RETURN' to 'all' of the models; exterior, interior, shadow, and landing light. I do not have any 'internal' LOD's in the package that would actually function as LOD's (disappearing at distance). I wonder if that is what you were talking about in the Jenny is that it had an exterior LOD that required the plane to have 'Jump' instead of 'Call'. I dont want to miss a discovery that you may have made.

Man, that will be alot of work to go back to an earlier model. I guess its better then going around in circles.

With Scaling issues in Gmax, when exporting into FS format, with too many scaling issues, the compiler usually stalls/crashes. I cant see how the Jenny compiled without the parts being reset. That has me speechless. If I could get that to occur with no Scaling alerts, that would be danged awesome. I wouldnt have to edit each X file then. As a matter of fact, if that could be done 'that' easily, then the model could be created 'in-scale' and only on exports, would you need to expand to *16. Though, as I think on that, perhaps it would be best to just leave well enough alone on that and just hand edit the X files, lol...

Bill

P

PropTrash

“I am still curious about the Jenny you did that freaked at first with some issues because of ASM editing. Presently, I add the 'Call_32' and 'BGL_RETURN' to 'all' of the models; exterior, interior, shadow, and landing light. I do not have any 'internal' LOD's in the package that would actually function as LOD's (disappearing at distance). I wonder if that is what you were talking about in the Jenny is that it had an exterior LOD that required the plane to have 'Jump' instead of 'Call'. I dont want to miss a discovery that you may have made.”

At the time I thought that might be the case, but I subsequently discovered that the same lines “BGL_JUMP_32 LOD_0L” showed up again after I removed the LOD stuff from the model. No “CALL_32’s” or “BGL_RETURN’s” were present at all. As I stated earlier, in my haste I edited those as usual, while forgetting that I wasn’t assembling LOD models. That caused the animations to be really messed up, but I don’t believe it has any bearing on your troubles.

“Man, that will be alot of work to go back to an earlier model. I guess its better then going around in circles.”

You only need to go back and do some simple troubleshooting to evaluate and perfect the process. Find out the techniques needed for success, and then apply them to the model you’re working on now. The only work you’ll lose is adjusting what you have now to reflect what you learn. At the beginning of this, I tried to tell you to start out small, and work up until you had a reliable process. Being befuddled and stuck after two weeks work is what I hoped you would avoid if you started out with something simple.

“With Scaling issues in Gmax, when exporting into FS format, with too many scaling issues, the compiler usually stalls/crashes. I cant see how the Jenny compiled without the parts being reset. That has me speechless.”

I exported the exterior after scaling it up. It went through without any errors that stopped the export/compile, and doing it again just now, I checked the log and it was clean. The Jenny is pretty simple compared to most models, the .mdl file from that export is only 813 KB. Maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway, check the screenshot, nothing is out of place….

“If I could get that to occur with no Scaling alerts, that would be danged awesome. I wouldnt have to edit each X file then. As a matter of fact, if that could be done 'that' easily, then the model could be created 'in-scale' and only on exports, would you need to expand to *16. Though, as I think on that, perhaps it would be best to just leave well enough alone on that and just hand edit the X files, lol...”

I’m confused! I thought you said it was important to keep the scale normal in Gmax because: “I am one of those that measures all the parts and builds them off of dimensions as much as possible”. If so, then work on a normally scaled model in Gmax, export it (being normal scale will avoid scale applied issues), resize it x16 in the .x file, drop 'em on MakeMdl, edit the .asm files, and compile with BGLC_9. If that doesn’t work, then I don’t know what else to say; except that apparently it doesn’t work for complex Gmax models - and not for the first time - I’m glad I’m using FSDS!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
us-arizona

N4Gix

I may not have answered this correctly. I see what you are talking about now. The exterior is the same as the interior, just copy/pasted X files for each section. That is one of the mysteries going on here is that the same model compiles fine for the interior and messes up some parts in the exterior.

Work on a normally scaled model in Gmax, export it (being normal scale will avoid scale applied issues), resize it x16 in the .x file, drop 'em on MakeMdl, edit the .asm files, and compile with BGLC_9. If that doesn’t work, then I don’t know what else to say; except that apparently it doesn’t work for complex Gmax models - and not for the first time - I’m glad I’m using FSDS!

Prop Trash

Well, I just spent the day testing, exporting, taking notes. Conclusions;
At one point, I found that "merging" the project into a blank 'new' project scene gave me a great export. All parts exported beautifully aside from one rudder pedal in exterior plane view mode, which the pedal hovers between the pilots heads.

I made one change to this scene, modifying a gear door set animation that were contacting a landing gear when going through their animations, and this caused many parts to not export properly, and once again the model was a mess.

I then tried exporting the Junkers W33 in sections, (huge model with variations in model types). This is a 1/1 scale. This, in MakeMDL kept crashing stating 'co-located' Vertices. I tried welding all co-located vertices but some parts refused to be welded, or the vertices 'werent' co-located. (Mystery again). This happens only when all X files are created, then dragging the master X file onto the MakeMDL pure compiler.

I then went back to the Boeing blended wing and tried again on the 'non-scaled' version, and again was fighting with co-located vertices.

This is two weeks of constant compiling trying to find out why this is doing this. I am tired... I think its time for a vacation from this. If only it would just miraculously work. These things work so well for others. I feel left out.

man...

Country
us-arizona
I just had to compile one more time with the non-scaled BWB. I didnt try loading the parts that are reporting that they have co-located vertices, even though all vertices are welded, (e-mesh).

Exported, installed, nothing scaled in the X files, 1/1 scale, model is a mess in FS.

Ok... NOW its time for a vacation... :D Where is that bottle of vino hiding!

Country
us-arizona
I FOUND IT!!!!!! I Found the issue......

Hey all,

Ureka! To God be the Glory...!

PT, you said to do testing, take notes, do things methodically and see if I can pinpoint the issue. I have to add that I have prayed ALOT as well.

This afternoon, it was my day off, and my vacation from 2 weeks of learning this. I wanted to just take the plane up for a test flight and it was a mess from the last compile, so I tried to iron it out for a basic nice compile.

Well, one thing lead to another and I soon had my notepad back out, taking notes, experimenting with exports. Usually the same things went wrong, not all parts, but only some were going nuts. I figured it was the DICT notifications as they were the ones always losing it, and not all the parts animated are in that list, so that was my target.. I tried editing that as well, but only crashed the BGLC-9 compiler.

Then, it occurred to me, PT, that you named your low end '90' LOD (glass) and you didnt go by 090, as like the SDK says, being that it should be a 3 digit system of numbering. But it still shows up!! I tried making all my LOD's without the zero. Came out slightly worse actually, a mess still... At one point, the landing gear attached to the LH rudder and moved with it. Hows that for extreme.

I added the spheres, changed their positions, nothing...

Then.. It occurred to me. What if, in the SDK, where they mention 010 thru 200 is VC LOD's, and thru 400 is 'exterior' LOD's, that what if... (what if...) they meant that 210 thru 400 were 'exterior' designations, and 'not' 010 thru 400... .

This would mean that any LOD's under 200 were for the VC, and over 200 were for the exterior.

I renamed my LOD's to higher then 200 series and Voila. PERFECT Export!!!!!!

It had occurred to me also in a cross reference, the mystery that the VC was perfect and only the exterior was in disorder....

Mystery solved...

Thanks PT for sticking through this with me. I so very much appreciate it. As you can see, I am one of those that 'finds' obstacles. I seem to always find issues that no one ever finds. An obstacle magnet!

Thanks man. God bless you for helping me.

I have to go celebrate now!

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Bill

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Mind you, that means we are short 20 LOD's for Gmax'rs. But at 19 LOD stations available, at 210 thru 400, at roughly 65,000 polygons per LOD, that means an available 1,235,000 poly's possible 'on top' of the existing interior and exterior models at 65K.

:D

Last edited:
P

PropTrash

” I figured it was the DICT notifications as they were the ones always losing it, and not all the parts animated are in that list, so that was my target.. I tried editing that as well, but only crashed the BGLC-9 compiler.”

As I said before, the animations from MakeMDL.parts are referenced in the param_extension_dictionary, and if you edit any of those BGLC_9 won’t be able to parse the associated lines in the other .asm files. So it folds up it’s tent, and skulks off in a huff to someplace logical.

”Then, it occurred to me, PT, that you named your low end '90' LOD (glass) and you didnt go by 090, as like the SDK says, being that it should be a 3 digit system of numbering. But it still shows up!! I tried making all my LOD's without the zero. Came out slightly worse actually, a mess still... At one point, the landing gear attached to the LH rudder and moved with it. Hows that for extreme.

I added the spheres, changed their positions, nothing...

Then.. It occurred to me. What if, in the SDK, where they mention 010 thru 200 is VC LOD's, and thru 400 is 'exterior' LOD's, that what if... (what if...) they meant that 210 thru 400 were 'exterior' designations, and 'not' 010 thru 400... .

This would mean that any LOD's under 200 were for the VC, and over 200 were for the exterior.

I renamed my LOD's to higher then 200 series and Voila. PERFECT Export!!!!!!”

I think I said on pg. 1 of this thread how confusing I find the SDK with regard to LOD’s. To be fair to the MSFT types, they do advise that you can use 0-200 for discreet LOD’s, and 0-100 for per-part LOD’s. No triple digit stuff is referenced (000-400) in the PerPart LOD section.

They also mention storing each LOD in a different .x file in that section – and that may be directly related to the way we’re assembling the models. I’m going to go back and read it again in light of what you’ve discovered.

As far as my naming the first LOD .x file “_90” is concerned; I didn’t give any thought to zero’s and three digit stuff, or the mystical implications of the SDK, I just typed “90” and got on with it! :D

”Thanks PT for sticking through this with me. I so very much appreciate it. As you can see, I am one of those that 'finds' obstacles. I seem to always find issues that no one ever finds. An obstacle magnet!”

When I started with the scaled and LOD model techniques, I had only some short posts that Luka made while helping Gordon Lee at FFDS to go by. By trial and error I found out what worked for me, and I push the limits pretty hard, so I know very well what you’ve been going through!

”Thanks man. God bless you for helping me.

I have to go celebrate now!

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!”

As I’ve said before, I’m happy to help! But all the credit goes to you Bill; you stuck with it and worked it out. Kudos to you for that!:)

“Mind you, that means we are short 20 LOD's for Gmax'rs. But at 19 LOD stations available, at 210 thru 400, at roughly 65,000 polygons per LOD, that means an available 1,235,000 poly's possible 'on top' of the existing interior and exterior models at 65K.”

I think it’s safe to say that will be plenty for the foreseeable future!:rotfl:

I'm nearly done with the project I'm working on now, and before I go back to my F-86F project, I think I'll knock together a tutorial on this for FSDS 3/3.5 users who want to model for FS2004. Between that and your Gmax tutorial for it, maybe we can save folks some pain.

Country
us-arizona
I'm nearly done with the project I'm working on now, and before I go back to my F-86F project, I think I'll knock together a tutorial on this for FSDS 3/3.5 users who want to model for FS2004. Between that and your Gmax tutorial for it, maybe we can save folks some pain.

Sounds good to me. In the Gmax tutorial, I would like to mention your real name if possible as well as your nickname handle. If I could get that, if you dont mind so that you are given proper credit. You also discovered the 'Gmax' version of scaling up the X files. That took some knowhow and investigation, especially the part about the 16X for the dimensions to equal 0.015632.

Also, would you mind if I used your work flow chart you created?

PS: PT, what are you working on? What kind of plane? I've been wondering this the entire time.

For Arno,

I was wondering if we could start a seperate sub-room here in the modelling room that was called Tips and Tricks, similar to what we have over at FreeFlightDesign.org for pasting things like tutorials. Maybe a 'Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials' for the modellers room.

Bill

Last edited:
P

PropTrash

EDIT:

IT’S COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT SOME FOLKS HAVE INCORRECTLY ASSUMED THAT THE MODEL SHOWN BELOW WILL BE PAYWARE. I WANT TO EMPHATICALLY STATE THAT IT WILL BE OFFERED AS FREEWARE, AND SHOULD BE UP ON SIMVIATION.COM IN A MONTH OR TWO.

“Sounds good to me. In the Gmax tutorial, I would like to mention your real name if possible as well as your nickname handle. If I could get that, if you dont mind so that you are given proper credit.”

I’ll stick with PropTrash - it suits me.:)

Anyway, all the credit should go to you; since you persevered and worked it out. I just watched from the sidelines and made mostly inane suggestions!

“You also discovered the 'Gmax' version of scaling up the X files. That took some knowhow and investigation, especially the part about the 16X for the dimensions to equal 0.015632.”

I’m certain that there are a number of others who know about that hack. Truth is Bill, it took longer to create the boxes I used to test it than it did to “discover” it! So I’m gonna respectfully decline the honor of being the guy who found it. I would like to be known as someone who can multiply by 16 using a calculator, that’s an honor I’ll accept. lol

”Also, would you mind if I used your work flow chart you created?”

Sure, you can use anything I’ve contributed here for your tutorial.

"PS: PT, what are you working on? What kind of plane? I've been wondering this the entire time."

Stearman D-75N1 with a P&W Hornet E series engine rated at 875 HP for takeoff. It has a full load of 1975 vintage King Silver Crown avionics, identical 2D and 3D instruments, and probably some other cool stuff that I don't remember right now. I used this model to test all the scaling and LOD techniques we’ve been discussing, and to learn how to create 3D gauges.

Here’s some screenshots - and since this thread is about increasing polygons in FS2004 - I’ll start with the models in FSDS.

This is LOD_90, the exterior model panel and transparent stuff:

lod_90.jpg

The next model is LOD_100, it contains the prop parts, wings, horizontal stabilizer, engine baffles, and most of the fuselage frame, fairing assemblies, and control runs:

lod_100.jpg

Next up is LOD_200, which has everything else except the engine and cowling:

lod_200.jpg

Close-up of the fearless aviator whose head still refuses to animate the way I want it to after a trip through BGLC_9:

lod_200_2.jpg

Here’s LOD_300 showing the throttle, mixture, and prop bellcrank assemblies:

lod_300.jpg

And another of LOD_300 from the rear:

lod_300_2.jpg

One more without the cowling, and oil cooler fairing:

lod_300_3.jpg

This one is LOD_interior_100, first of the VC models:

lod_interior_100.jpg

And LOD_interior_110, with the wings and sectioned engine:

lod_interior_110.jpg

Then on to LOD_interior_120 and the unhealthy radium glow of instrument dials and pointers painted with radiolite paint:

lod_interior_120.jpg

Followed by the VC panel in LOD_interior_130:

lod_interior_130.jpg

The next five models LOD_140-180 are exactly the same, except for part names and what I do to them in the .asm files for panel lighting:

lod_interior_140-180.jpg

And finally LOD_190 which has some knobs that I want to illuminate very slightly when the instrument lights are on:

lod_interior_190.jpg

After exporting all of the models as .x files, and assembling them with BGLC_9, I see this in FS2004:

Zoomed out shot of the (unfinished) VC:

image1.jpg

Exterior model:

image2.jpg

Exterior model with cowling and panels removed:

image3.jpg

Some shots walking around with Active Camera:

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

Overhead shot:

image10.jpg

And some in-flight shots summer and winter:

inflight.jpg

inflight_winter.jpg

Close up of pilot’s winter gear:

inflight_winter_2.jpg

And that’s how you put together a super-sized model for FS2004; at least, it's the recipe I used.

This was just an interim project to investigate the techniques of building a complex high poly model for FS2004. The F-86F Sabre I’m building now is going to be the beneficiary of all that I’ve learned. I have all the manuals for it, the part manual is especially helpful for modeling interior detail.

And now I'll return to lurking!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That is one stunningly detailed model! :eek:

...but, I didn't see any "safety wire" on the hardware... :duck:

Country
us-arizona
Picks jaw off floor.... simply magnificent!!

HairySpin

Mine too, lololol... Bounced off the monitor and rolled under the desk. I'll find it later.

My goodness man! PT, that is the biggest model yet for FS9, lolol... Surely this is the record.

I am curious how big the MDL file is. I am going to guess 26 megs, but its probably much more then that.

You must have your gauge visibilities working through switch coded visibility polygons? One set of gauges hide, the others show up, new material glow coded into the X file?

My goodness man.. I salute you...! Thanks for sharing. The guys would love to see this over at the FS2004 room at the Sim-Outhouse.com forum. They wouldnt believe it though. Its beyond FSX model complexities, lol...

Nice.....

Bill

Country
us-arizona
Had to leave another note or two.

Nice engine. That is a work of art. Setting hear looking at it. You even put in the air filter, lol.. Goodness man. Love that mesh screen in the air intake and the ribbing on the cone of the front of the engine crank case. No visual signs of notching from polygons are visible. Just a beautiful, rounded shape.

Nice work PT.... Very nice..

Bill

P

PropTrash

First of all, thanks everyone for the compliments!:)

“That is one stunningly detailed model!
...but, I didn't see any "safety wire" on the hardware...”

Actually…if you look close:

image8_safety.jpg

safety.jpg

safety_2.jpg

It’s there!

Easy to pick it out in the screenshots from FSDS, but with the screenshots from the game, after resizing and with the jpeg compression it’s hard to see. The safeties on the nuts/studs should be palnuts, but if you model those, then most folks think you’ve done a bad job on a regular AN nut. lol

I drew the lockwire on the generator brush cover:

generator.jpg

The insert shows the texture (cropped from a 1024x1024 bitmap) that I used.

But that reminds me - how much detail is necessary? I work using the principle that if I can’t see it in the game, then I shouldn’t model it. Some of things I’ve done with the engine and accessories are hard to see in this model, but might show up well in another, and since I reuse the engine models, it’s a hard call to make. Also, I’m always amazed at the vantage points people can achieve in FS2004. I get screenshots and videos that I have no idea how they were done, so you never know.

“My goodness man! PT, that is the biggest model yet for FS9, lolol... Surely this is the record.”

Maybe…it’s probably one of the biggest, that’s for sure.lol

”I am curious how big the MDL file is. I am going to guess 26 megs, but its probably much more then that.”

The .mdl file is 12.9 MB, and the total count right now is 339,395 polygons. There’s no shadow model yet, so the file size will go up when I add one. Having a shadow model would help those with lower performance hardware, but even without it, with my I7 box (stock 3.2 clock speed), the lowest frame rate I see is still over 60 fps with the frame rate target set to “Unlimited”. That’s with all sliders maxed, and in the toughest scenery areas of the game.

I have a bit to do yet, so it’s going to get even larger. Still trying to figure out where to install the remote avionics units. In the real plane, forward of the panel would be smoking hot with that big engine kicking over, and the baggage compartment, while well ventilated by ram air, has a big tank full of hot oil. I think aft of that bulkhead is the best choice for the radio racks, better for cooling and weight and balance, not so good for maintenance since the metal fuselage panels, and the original fairing assemblies (what Boeing called the stringers and formers that fair the aft fuselage) would need to be removed. One of the other placement problems was putting all the gauges and avionics into the space-limited panel. That was a real challenge; and I’m still not satisfied with some of it.

”You must have your gauge visibilities working through switch coded visibility polygons? One set of gauges hide, the others show up,…”

Yes. The parts of each gauge that I want to illuminate are linked to a top node in each of the VC panel models. There are 5 models for lighting; the parent nodes for those go from “dim” to “bright”. Each of those nodes is controlled by a visibility condition dependent on the return from the rheostat’s L:var. For example: as the dimming rheostat is turned, between 1 and 59 degrees the dim parts will display, as the rotation increases, the medium parts, then medium-high, high, and finally bright.

The radiolite parts are linked to a node named “radiolite”. That node and it’s dependencies will display when the rheostat’s L;var is returning zero (lights off), and the time of day variable is dawn/dusk/night. During the day, or anytime the lights are turned on, it isn’t visible.

“…new material glow coded into the X file?”

I like your phrase “glow coded”. It’s a perfect description!

But no, I don’t edit the .x file for that. MakeMdl will set all textured emissive material properties to zero as it compiles the model. It doesn’t matter that you set those properties in FSDS or Gmax, as soon as you slap a texture on it MakeMdl turns off the glow. So editing the .x file won’t help. However, once you get MakeMdl to regurgitate the .asm files, you can edit the emissive properties of the material and BGLC_9 will respect your wishes as it compiles the model.

Here’s a material line from the .asm file:

MATERIAL_DEF 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000, 0.392157,0.392157,0.392157, 0.000000,0.000000,0.000000, 0.000000,0.000000,0.000000, 0.000000 ; 1

The values in bold above (11, 12, and 13) are the R,G,B, values of the emissive material. Note that thanks to MakeMdl they're set to zero. To edit that, you need to determine the proper values to use. There are two ways to do it, I went with the simplest. I found that FSDS only exports a one place decimal in the .x file, for example, a value of “17” for red will be rounded to “0.1” instead of “0.066666”. As you see in the excerpt above, MakeMdl will produce a number with 6 decimal places in the .asm file, but testing showed that there was no distinguishable color difference between using all six places and just the tenths place, so I use the values from the .x file for any given emissive color:

MATERIAL_DEF 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000, 0.392157,0.392157,0.392157, 0.000000,0.000000,0.000000, 0.100000,0.700000,0.600000, 0.000000 ; 1

The above is for 17, 174, 151 RGB, a really ugly blue/green shade.

In line with the above, the reason why I separate the dim to high parts into separate models is to have an easier time editing the .asm files. Other guys might be able to keep it all straight in a big file, but I find that more mistakes and lost time occur that way.

Another use for this is to brighten digital displays in the VC. The KI 267 DME looks like this without an emissive material:

dme_dim.jpg

Assigning that gauge planar an emissive material results in this:

dme_bright.jpg

I do that by adding another material def line, and changing the material number for the part:

; Node 187 - dme_ki267_planar transform:
BGL_TRANSFORM_MAT -4175.369141,12873.951172,-16765.554688, 1.000000,0.000000,0.000000, 0.000000,1.000000,0.000000, 0.000000,0.000000,1.000000
MATERIAL 4,15 ; <0,0,0,0> $D75N1 VC1;;;

The "4" shown in bold is the material number. On the material def line it's the last value:

MATERIAL_DEF 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000, 0.392157,0.392157,0.392157, 0.000000,0.000000,0.000000, 0.900000,0.900000,0.900000, 0.000000 ; 4

I also use it for suction (vacuum) and stall warning lights, and hot exhaust stacks. There are a lot of other uses for this that I won’t go into here - I’m sure people can come up with many more possibilities than I can.

My goodness man.. I salute you...! Thanks for sharing. The guys would love to see this over at the FS2004 room at the Sim-Outhouse.com forum. They wouldnt believe it though. Its beyond FSX model complexities, lol...

Thanks Bill! You asked, so I took some time and made some screenshots.:)

“Had to leave another note or two.

Nice engine. That is a work of art. Setting hear looking at it. You even put in the air filter, lol.. Goodness man. Love that mesh screen in the air intake and the ribbing on the cone of the front of the engine crank case. No visual signs of notching from polygons are visible. Just a beautiful, rounded shape.”

The nose case was easy to build once I got the rib spacing correct. I finally had to make a background image from the maintenance manual and that allowed me to figure out the rotations involved.

While we’re on the engine subject: I’ve modeled the entire single-row P&W line, from the Wasp Jr. to the Wasp and Hornet - the last two have both direct drive and geared types - and that entire line is “in the can” so to speak. Now when I model a plane using one of those engines, I only have to concentrate on the airframe and model specific engine related parts like the cowling, exhaust, etc. Saves time. I’ll start on the double-row P&W stuff someday, probably when I have a use for it.

“That's fantastic work there - I don't know how you have the patience to do all the engine stuff...”

It’s not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. Once you model one cylinder, you copy/paste and rotate it 40 degrees. Do that 8 times, and theres a big part of the engine. It takes 30 seconds in FSDS, and can be done even faster in Gmax. That’s true of most of the engine, but the accessory case and engine accessories are another story. Patience and good reference materials are a must for those chores.

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

This is the draft of the FS9 Unlimited Export tutorial.

Its about 30+ pages as I wanted to cover 'everything' so that there should be no questions. I also did picture like flow charts to show how its done as well as a few screenshots.

This is in MOV format (Apple of course) so you will need something that plays MOV format, such as Quicktime, which the base program is free download.

Click screen to advance pages.

Sorry, no background music...

Download here; http://lionheartworld.net/misc/FS9_Unlimited_Export_System_for_Gmax.mov

Let me know if you have questions about it.

NOTE: This is for people using Gmax, FS2004 SDK version. There will be a tutorial by PropTrash on doing this in FSDS. Its quite similar but X files coding is different when adjusting scales for the 4MM bypass.

Tutorial done in Keynote from the Apple iWork office suite.

Bill

Country
us-arizona
So... I am on to my next plane, and guess what....

I have parts on the panel so small (vertices close together) that the switches are crumpling from the 4MM range issue, even with the X files expanded (WorldScale) to 36X....! I'll bet you didnt think that could happen.

I just tried scales of 64X and that was too large, so then 48X and that too was too large.

The 'Super_Scale' value in the ASM file cannot be lower then 1. I tried;
0.001 <---- Crashes BGLC-9, unknown factor
-2 <--- nothing
.001 <--- Crashes BGLC-9, unknown factor
01 <--- nothing
-1 <--- model is invisible

The aircraft expands quite well to super size, but then I cannot scale it back down, unfortunately.

Anyone have any idea's? Arno? Anything I can do? Is there a plane scale adjuster program somewhere that can reduce the size of a FS9 model?

Also, I found out through an older past post that when having issues with Colinear Vertices in Triangles (like I was having), to tick 'on' all the 'ignore' selections (3 of them) in MakeMDL and then it compiles fine. :D

That was a real stumbling block for me for the past 3 days, as well as when I was making the 797....

Bill

P

PropTrash

“I have parts on the panel so small (vertices close together) that the switches are crumpling from the 4MM range issue, even with the X files expanded (WorldScale) to 36X....! I'll bet you didnt think that could happen.”

Have you checked to see if the model is properly scaled in Gmax? And if it is, how close are the vertices in those switches? If they’re really close - do you absolutely need that kind of resolution? Something less complex will often look just as sharp in the game unless you zoom in on it.

As far as the .x file scaling goes, having done that only on some boxes as a test, I tried it this morning on my Stearman model, and it doesn’t work at all. The error log reports some animation triggers absent, there were two invalid character errors (error A2044 -- fatal in MakeMdl and BGLC_9) and the model won’t compile in BGLC_9. Funny that it works on simple parts, but not a complex model with a lot of animations. Reminds me of the FS2004 Jenny vs. your B-797.

“Anyone have any idea's? Arno? Anything I can do? Is there a plane scale adjuster program somewhere that can reduce the size of a FS9 model?”

I would make sure that the vertices in the switch are not closer than 4mm after the scale factor is applied in the .x files. If the vertices are closer, then I’d adjust the parts until they no longer weld with a scale of x16. I’ve tried other scales in the past with no joy, so I’d stick with 16 and work from there.

“Also, I found out through an older past post that when having issues with Colinear Vertices in Triangles (like I was having), to tick 'on' all the 'ignore' selections (3 of them) in MakeMDL and then it compiles fine.

That was a real stumbling block for me for the past 3 days, as well as when I was making the 797....”

That’s what I was saying back on pg.3 of this topic Bill:

“I also don’t know what to say about the “colocated vertices”. I have some “colinear vertices” that show up in the MakeMdl error log; I just ignore them, since they don’t stop the compile or the generation of the .asm files.”

Keyword in that reply is “ignore”. It never occurred to me that you didn’t check the “Ignore Warnings Bad Triggers Bad Normals” flags on the MakeMdl options tab!:eek:

Country
us-arizona
Keyword in that reply is “ignore”. It never occurred to me that you didn’t check the “Ignore Warnings Bad Triggers Bad Normals” flags on the MakeMdl options tab!:eek:

lolol.. arrghh.. Horrible to 'miss' some detail that ends up being paramount to the entire operation weeks into the project.

I am getting better though. :D