• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Installation Glitch

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I just had a hang on installing - sat still for an hour and a half but thrashing the CPU. Seems to have happened to others (maybe on the alpha/beta). The fix is to end the task in the task manager and relaunch. It should then go to content download. Worked for me and others.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I cheated by leaving the packages from the Alpha installed. The sim loaded within minutes. :D

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You did indeed cheat - perhaps they have updated the packages from the alpha so you might lose out ;)

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
It looks like I'm in for a bit of a wait now too - starting the sim this morning it insists on updating the packages. Oh well.. :laughing:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I also suffered a glitch when using Skype while the sim was installing - totally canned the installation from that point onward.

The only solution was to uninstall, shut down, re-start and then begin again. At 80GB at the time of writing.

I have also heard from one experienced user who had a Windows update at the same time. The install and update combo totally wrecked his system, as in completely. He's trying to reboot now from a USB. Probably a rarity but keeping my fingers crossed that no further issues occur here...

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That sounds horrible. I am up and running now both on the sim and SDK but it has taken most of the day

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That sounds horrible. I am up and running now both on the sim and SDK but it has taken most of the day

Yeah, I feel for him - he's an airline pilot and long-time sim user so he knows his stuff. Hopefully he'll solve it.

I'm almost fully downloaded, it will have basically taken up a full day too, instead of the half day it should have done. Will be glad not to have to do this again. On the up-side, I'll be binning all the other sims as a result, so plenty of drive space ahead! :)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have to keep an installation of all the current sims along with FS9 and FSX :(

Country
us-newyork
Two quick things: 1. The sim is smart enough to scan package deltas if you give it an arbitrary folder so if you fed it the content from the Alpha, it most likely did properly update only what was needed. I don't think there was a cgl update which is what takes the majority of the space, so that is a great "hack" if you can do it.

2. There are some open quirks with the content downloader. For example, on Steam it froze and required a steam client restart and then sim restart to actually download. If you give it a custom folder for content the download is very slow, if you kill the sim process and restart it, and navigate to the folder again it will now download at full speed. It still will take many hours. The sim for me also CTDs if you turn your monitor off and then back on while downloading content, if you launch it again it should pick up where it left off.

Country
england
I must have had at least 6 CTDs installing the sim. It would download a few GB, crash, restart it, download the same few GB, crash. Sometimes it didn't get as far as the downloading screen, crashing straight after 'press any key'. Once it never even got that far. Eventually it did get into the swing of downloading though. (but I think I downloaded at least 150 of 90 GB...)

The joys of new software! Now I have to explain today's lack of productivity to my boss (just because I'm self employed doesn't mean I get any sympathy, lol)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Can you try leaving that page open for a moderate duration, say five minutes, see if it changes? I and others have solved your same problem this way.

GHD

Country
england
Well, I decided to uninstall.

First time it didn't.

Second time it did.

I then tried "INSTALL"

After three attempts, it is now downloading 94GB.

Last edited: