• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Instant Scenery

Country
scotland
Hi,
I'm new here and hope someone can help.
I was thinking of buying Instant Scenery so I could easily add a few scenery bits into FSX.
I tried the demo version and I think I could learn to use it with my limited ability. I am fine with ADE but adding roads is awkward for me.
I wondered if I could use the add roads function in Instant Scenery so that it would display over my VFR scenery (GenX). The demo version is on default scenery.
Another concern is that if my pc goes to standby which is often, FSX always shuts down. This doesn't happen without Instant Scenery installed.
I am reluctant to spend money on something that won't work for me, but if anyone could clarify the VFR scenery issue, I would go ahead.
I registered on the Flight 1 forum, but it won't allow me onto the forum (wrong password or technical glitch - I don't know).
Thanks
John

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

The VFR GenX by ex: PlaySims is custom photo-real aerial imagery land class, which incidentally also requires 'custom' Autogen (such as was used in TreeScapes), and which would not otherwise display the 'default' type of CVX vector terrain scenery objects which Instant Scenery makes, such as roads.

Note that Instant Scenery, as of this writing, only makes CVX vector terrain polygons using FSX 'default' land class and water class textures which will not normally display on top of custom photo-real aerial imagery land class such as VFR GenX without special procedures being used.

If you are interested in modifying a smaller area of FSX scenery to add or replace a road that can be displayed on top of VFR GenX custom photo-real aerial imagery land class., this could be done with a "true" legacy format ground polygon made via a utility program other than Instant Scenery, such as ADE or SBuilderX, and compiled via SCASM / ASM.

BTW: SBuilderX can make areas of custom photo-real aerial imagery land class that replaces- and can be blended into- underlying VFR GenX custom photo-real aerial imagery land class.

FYI: The Blend Mask for such custom photo-real aerial imagery land class areas can also be configured to allow the 'default' type of CVX vector terrain scenery objects which Instant Scenery makes, such as roads and/or highway traffic etc., to 'show through to the top' of the photo-real ground textures.

If you tell us in greater detail what it is you want to accomplish, perhaps we can be of further assistance with achieving your goals.

Hope this helps with exploring your options. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Thanks for replying, Gary.
I have GenX Scotland south with VFR airfields and treescapes. In particular, I would like to modify the approaches to the new Forth bridge, which is on top of the GenX scenery as this is a bit out of date now. This bridge is a Scotflight freeware addon and shows up well but the traffic at both ends juat runs over grass.
Could I sort this with ADE?
I have tried with ADE without success so far, using road bgl's, but I can't get them to follow the ground contour by changing their altitude. Using polygons also doesn't seem to work, even with a simple taxiway texture.
The point you stated about modifying the scenery blend mask sounds promising, but with my limited knowledge, I would probably get stuck with this.
Could you give me a pointer as to which way would be possible for a simpleton such as myself?

Country
us-illinois
Hi again: (...would you please give us a first name to use for your thread here ?) :)

I am familiar with that area, have purchased the same VFR GenX Scotland South and Treescapes scenery packages, and also have the ScotFlight Forth bridges..

As George alluded to above, FSX default Freeway Traffic CVX vectors for that area can be modified, and any needed new 'Freeway' Traffic CVX vectors can also be added using SBuilderX rather than ADE, as ADE does not presently work with that specific type of 'Freeway' object.

NOTE: These 'Freeway' CVX vector object types are not excluded by the VFR GenX Scotland South custom photo-real aerial imagery scenery BGL(s), so they should "show through to the top" of the VFR GenX scenery.

However, it may still be preferable to place a small blended area of custom photo-real aerial imagery scenery on top of the VFR GenX Scotland South custom photo-real aerial imagery scenery to update the approach to the bridges cited above.

Making a Blend Mask for the small color-matched area of custom photo-real aerial imagery nearby to the bridges is relatively easy to do using a graphics application, and any required aerial imagery tiles can be directly downloaded and processed along with a Blend Mask via SBuilderX to keep the development task complexity to a minimum. ;)

PS: Regarding computer standby mode causing FSX shutdown: what version of FSX (Steam vs DVD) do you have ?

Do you keep a FSX DVD in the DVD drive tray when FSX is running ?

Also, what version of Windows (version number and 32-Bit or 64-Bit) do you have ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi, Gary -
The shutdown after standby with instant scenery on isn't really a problem just now, just a nuisance while trying the app as FSX always starts again.

I should have given details before:-
FSX Steam (on DVD, but only used to install initially)
P3d SDK
Windows home edition 64-Bit

Regarding scenery, I am trying to get SbuilderX to work, but so far no luck. I tried it before on my old system (Win XP) years back and then found ADE which seemed easier for me. I installed the latest version, of SbuilderX but when I start it, a small window appears saying "copying bmp's" but this stays at 0, so something wasn't right. I have now installed the x86 version and this starts ok. However I can't load tiles from google or one of the others. It only shows nokia, which needs registering with another site. I will try to find another tile server dll and see if that will be recognised.
If I get stuck, hopefully you will advise.
Many thanks.
John

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

I get the same startup message for SBuilderX 3.15 (64-Bit) reportedly due to my Windows 7 64-Bit security configuration.

If you simply click through that message box, SBuilderX 3.15 (64-Bit) 'should' work normally (and actually have all required files installed, including the aerial imagery tile server downloader plugins) ...despite the ominous but essentially misleading SBuilderX 'status' message you quoted above). ;)

Just to be certain, try instead using this "complete" download package (aka: "Full SbuilderX v315") : :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

Full SbuilderX v315

[EDITED]

Many thanks to Luis Sa' and Richard Ludowise for making this 'ready-to-use' scenery utility package avilable to us ! :wizard:

[END_EDIT]

FYI: "SBX" is an abbreviation for SBuilderX (thanks, George ! )

PS: If you require further assistance, there are a number of us here who would likely be glad to help. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

To pre-visualize FSX default and ScotFlight CVX vector objects, over VFR GenX custom aerial imagery local to the Forth bridges in SDK TMFViewer:

TMFViewer Menu > View > LOD Grid > LOD-9

TMFViewer Menu > View > QMID Grid > Level-12

TMFViewer Menu > Jump > Lat Long... > Jump To Lat Long: Latitude: 56.001169, Longitude: -3.404108 ; click [OK]

FYI: TMFViewer bottom status bar now shows information correlated with FSX default local and VFR GenX file names at these 'Grid' settings. ;)

TMFViewer Menu > File > Open:

* [VFR_GenX-VOL8 Install path]\Volume8\05mPhoto\Scenery\12_1506_386_05mP.bgl

* [VFR_GenX-VOL8 Install path]\Volume8\05mPhoto\Scenery\12_1507_386_05mP.bgl

* [VFR_GenX-VOL8 Install path]\Volume8\05mPhoto\Scenery\12_1506_387_05mP.bgl

* [VFR_GenX-VOL8 Install path]\Volume8\05mPhoto\Scenery\12_1507_387_05mP.bgl

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0501\scenery\cvx4712.bgl

[Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\CVX_ForthOrbx.BGL

FYI: Zoom in with NumPad<+> key; Zoom out with NumPad <-> key

Center display to cursor with left-mouse-button click

NOTE:

TMFViewer Menu > View > check / un-check of loaded files listed at bottom of menu ...allows toggling of file display

TMFViewer Menu > View > Vector Data > Polygons > Fill ...allows toggling of polygon colored fill display

[EDITED]

BTW: ScotFlight MDLs of Forth road bridges (but not the RailRoad bridge) have an attached 'Platform' to keep Freeway Traffic AMSL on bridge level.

ScotFlight MDLs of Forth RailRoad Bridge do not require an attached 'Platform' as there is no vector Road 'Freeway Traffic' to keep AMSL on bridge level

In TMFViewer, right-click Red road vector objects. to verify that the CVX_ForthOrbx.BGL already contains Forth Road Bridge_1 Freeway Traffic vector GUIDs

Thus, if you use the above cited CVX_ForthOrbx.BGL for Forth Road Bridge-1 Freeway Traffic, you need not create that vector scenery object in SBuilderX

However, you may still need to create the Forth Road Bridge-2 Freeway Traffic CVX vector scenery object in SBuilderX.

[END_EDIT]

When you are ready to download and work with updated aerial imagery for the Forth road bridges scenery with SBuilderX, feel free to ask for help. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
'The best tool to use for freeway traffic is SBuilderX' or (as an alternative) FSX KML:).
Draw your road in GE and save as a KML. In FSXKML tag it with 'freeway traffic'.
This only in case you do not get SbuilderX to work as it should.
FSX KML is not a substitute for Sbuilder but is simpler, thus less complicated to work with.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Roby:

IMHO, for Freeway Traffic over longer expanses of Forth Bridges, it may be particularly important to work in SBuilderX with a QMID-15 Grid displayed, to reduce risk of moving vector 'traffic' vehicles "disappearing" or "falling through" mis-aligned poly-line vertices where such objects 'clip' to QMID-15 quads. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Gary,

I have not the faintest what you are talking about.
Do you mean that an FSXKML KML from GE is not the same as an SBX KML from GE????

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-797431

Gary,

I have not the faintest (idea ?) what you are talking about.
Do you mean that an FSXKML KML from GE is not the same as an SBX KML from GE????

Hi Roby:

No, that is not what I am concerned about. :)

Whether one uses a Google Earth Desktop Edition version compatible with Pre-FSXKML, or one uses rhumbaflappy's KML2BLN, converted GE vector KML objects should work when Appended to SBuilderX.

When I get some time free later today, I will try to explain issues related to CVX vector poly-line vertex point placement and Freeway Traffic display anomalies.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Later today for you will mean that I will be in bed by then:).
Will have a look at it in the morning on Earthday.
Thanks for your enlightening me on that subject that I never really cared about earlier on as freeway traffic used to be a major FPS eater (in FSX at least).
Just wonder when you are going to make the next step to P3D? ;)

GHD

Country
england
I have no problems creating freeway traffic in SBX (except that only one lane traffic is allowef).

I also do not have an FPS problem in FSX with road traffic on max.

Country
scotland
Hi John:

I get the same startup message for SBuilderX 3.15 (64-Bit) reportedly due to my Windows 7 64-Bit security configuration.

If you simply click through that message box, SBuilderX 3.15 (64-Bit) 'should' work normally (and actually have all required files installed, including the aerial imagery tile server downloader plugins) ...despite the ominous but essentially misleading SBuilderX 'status' message you quoted above). ;)

Just to be certain, try instead using this "complete" download package (aka: "Full SbuilderX v315") : :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

Full SbuilderX v315

FYI: "SBX" is an abbreviation for SBuilderX (thanks, George ! )

PS: If you require further assistance, there are a number of us here who would likely be glad to help. :)

GaryGB

Thanks, Gary,
I downloaded and started this one and it ran with no problems. I even got a Google background image.
However, before I get to the tricky bits, I need to study the basic operation. Unfortunately, when I open HTML help, the various topics are listed but the window stays blank, where the information is normally shown.
I remember seeing this in the past but don't know what caused it. Could it be a windows 10 thing?
I also downloaded the tutorials and they display the text, but the graphics boxes are all empty.
I don't think it is my settings because other similar stuff displays properly.
John

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Congratulations on your first launch of SBuilderX ! :)

Assuming you always start SBuilderX via a shortcut with properties for compatibility or security set to Run as Administrator, your next task would be to configure Windows "Help" display permissions.

FYI: The:"Help" file used for SBuilderX version 3.15 (64-Bit) is the same one used by SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit).

That file is in a compiled form (*.CHM), and on some topic pages, it uses content (ex: illustrations) linked from the authors PTSIM web site, which Windows-7 (and later Windows versions ?) blocks by default until the end user enables access to that linked remote content; to "un-block" follow these instructions:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1961503-solved-windows-10-chm-help-files-showing-up-blank

https://www.helpsmith.com/chm-cannot-be-displayed.php

Hope this helps ...help ...your "help" ! :D

PS: Which tutorials did you download that are not showing their graphic images ?

A possible fix:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

When you are ready to explore your options to download an updated aerial imagery tile to be blended into the existing VFR GenX Volume-8 Scotland South custom photo-real land class textures, just let us know. ;)

BTW: As a "worked example", one may refer to the existing CVX vector BGL in ScotFlight freeware Forth Bridges:

[Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\CVX_ForthOrbx.BGL

This vector BGL can be viewed in SDK TMFViewer ...as explained in my post above in this thread:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-797368

Additionally, that CVX_ForthOrbx.BGL and the default local CVX vector BGL:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0501\scenery\cvx4712.bgl

...can be de-compiled via Patrick Germain's CvxExtractor GUI, and output to (multiple) ESRI SHP files

One can then 'Append' (all) those ESRI SHP files to SBuilderX version 3.15 as a reference for more precise work when aligning the ends of QMID-15-sized segments in a new custom Freeway Traffic vector object for Forth Bridge-2.

Remember that Freeway Traffic 'clips' to QMID-15 quads, so one must display that grid level in the work-space via:

SBuilderX Menu > View > QMID Grid > Level-15

Create new Forth Bridge_2 road vector objects; then export a SBX project data exchange file as a backup for future use.

You may wish to review the caveats and 'gotchas' for Freeway Traffic on bridges discussed in these threads:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=8qbcWu6IPJCKtQXk7IfQAQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com++Freeway+Traffic+Doug+Matthews&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com++Freeway+Traffic+Doug+Matthews&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1895764.1943196.0.1943666.35.35.0.0.0.0.191.2612.34j1.35.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.2SmRlJSe1KA

When finished, select only new object(s) in the SBuilderX work-space, and compile to (1 or more) CVX vector BGL(s).

In FS, use the new BGL(s) output by SBuilderX along with the above original Freeway Traffic / Road CVX vector BGLs.

Hope this helps you explore your options for creating / editing Freeway Traffic vector objects and/or road objects. :)

PS: A screenshot of the "off-road adventure" Freeway Traffic shows in the un-modified VFR GenX Forth Bridge scenery:

FSX_Forth_Bridge_1_Freeway_Traffic_Off-Road.jpg

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi, Gary,
You've given me a lot of information to be getting on with.
I'll start at the beginning and see how I get on (time permitting).
Regarding the CHM help box, I got that sorted. (simple after I saw the solution!)) - still can't see the graphics in the web tutorials, though.
I had a quick look at the settings but I can',t see what is causing this. Security settings seem to be normal and other web graphics are all ok.
Had a quick look for a solution, but I can't find anything. (why are all my problems unique to me? - rhetorical)

I like your screenshot - that's exactly what I have. Now I need to knuckle dowm and have a look at how to use Xbuilder and the other tips you have shown.

I'll probably get back soon when I get stuck with something (guaranteed)
Thahks for your patience,
John

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Glad to be able to help.

BTW
: If you tell us which tutorial(s) you refer to above, so we might also download and test them on Win-7 and Win-10, perhaps we can post further soluitions to enable display of the missing graphic images, :scratchch

Have fun ! :)

GaryGB