• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Is it possible to add scenery objects with ADE without creating an airport?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks. That is good to know.
BTW I did not change the Test Radius parameter of the airport properties. I just added an image from Google Earth of the area (for correct placement of scenery objects) with top left, bottom right co-ordinates and then added my scenery objects and at this point in case Jon is reading, the footprint of my scenery object is very 'tight' and exactly what I would expect it to be.
Firstly the scenery object is not complete and I have some way to go with it to include all the docks.
Here it is (note that this a huge scenery object which so far covers an area of 115 metres x 35 metres) -

View attachment 75189

Please also note that the footprint is not exactly over the satellite imagery. That is because when viewed in MSFS it was not displayed in the correct position which begs the question are the co-orrdinates of scenery/landforms etc NOT exactly correct in MSFS or are the co-ordinates displayed by Google Earth not exact?

Lastly someone please advise the correct method to set up (alpha) 19 so that all my projects in 18 are in then 19 (I assumed that all I needed to do was to copy the entire F20 folder across).
Just copy all your project folders from Alpha 18 to Alpha 19. Since you can set the path to the projects fold yourself then you can have them outside the ADE folder structure and even have a single folder for project. I actually keep them outside the ADE folders but do have a separate root folder for each alpha. However since we don't support anything alpha version other than the current one I copy old projects into the new alpha root folder and archive the old root folder. So I have a folder for Alpha 19 projects and my folder for alpha 18 projects went into my backup archive.

I strongly recommend creating a root folder for projects outside the ADE folder structure

Thanks Jon and welcome back. I hope you got everything done you planned to do.
I just checked Options>Settings in my Alpha 19 setup and Save Projects to was C:\ADE 2020 Alpha 18\F20 instead of C:\ADE 2020 Alpha 19\F20. Is that location also used when loading a project? I can only think YES and that would be the reason why when I make modifications to my scenery objects I had to copy them to the modellib in 18.

Last edited:
FYI
Regarding adding a scenery object to an (user generated) airport which is a long distance away (in my case docks at Vancouver Harbor which is 35 miles from the airport I created) that ADE 19 (and probably other versions) displays an 'area of squares' around where the airport is (visible when you 'zoom out') and my scenery object is just 'inside' that area. I am wondering if that represents the 'boundary' where you can safely add scenery objects ALTHOUGH I would have thought that such an area would be a 'circle'. Note the image below with red arrow pointing to where my Vancouver docks scenery object is. Also the area of squares is only seen in ADE 19 (not in ADE18). Maybe Jon can explain the purpose of that area.
just in.jpg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have absolutely no idea what it is. Can you right click on it and get any information or is there a tooltip for it

Here is another image not zoomed out so far where the 'squares' can be more easily seen. Right clicking in that area shows nothing more than it does anywhere else. I don't see those squares when using ADE18.

squares.jpg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Soffy but I don't see anything. Try changing the background color for the ADE display to see if they change with it or become more obvious

It's the grid.

Spacing can be set in the "Settings" menu. Visibility can be set in the "View" menu. Appears to have a fixed overall size. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with any airport "boundaries" (the red circle is the "Airport Test radius"). Items can be placed outside the grid, but I don't know what happens to them when the project is built.

...jim

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
OK Jim is correct - this is the background grid which can be turned on or off

1626700808816.png

Sounds like you may have it turned off in A18 but on with A19. It's there for guidance. You can set the spacing in the Settings Menu

1626700888348.png

Thanks for clearing that up. Yes also I was aware of the red circe around the airport which I assumed was a boundary. I note that in ADE 18 the Set Grid Spacing is set to 500 as it also is on ADE 19 but I Grid is NOT set in (my) ADE 18 whereas it is in ADE 19. Maybe I set it ON in ADE 18 but didn't in ADE 19 and the default (when installed) is off.