• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Is it possible to convert FSDS made files...

adr179

Resource contributor
Country
slovenia
... into something that can then be imported into google sketchup?

I'd like to make some scenery objects created with FSDS, available also in g-Earth.

Any ideas what would the best procedure be?

Country
spain
I think Sketchup import 3ds files.but I guess you want to retouch or modifiy the objects ? problably you have to retexture the objects.

adr179

Resource contributor
Country
slovenia
Bernardo, the point is, FSDS does NOT generate 3DS files.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
But ModelconverterX does.

Have you tried the FSC reader in modelconverter , or alternatively imported an FSX mdl made from FSDS.

I suspect DAE might be a better format, but MCX does not write this, yet.

adr179

Resource contributor
Country
slovenia
Yes, I'm aware of MCX function to read FSDS files directly, but I can't export anything from MCX that would be suitable for Sketchup, and that is basically my question: Is there a workaround, certain path to take to be able to do this?

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
As Tejal and I explained above:

ModelconverterX can read an fsc file. It can output a 3ds file. This is not a 'perfect' file format but it may do what you want.

Sketchup can import a 3ds file.

Have you tried this?

Last edited:

adr179

Resource contributor
Country
slovenia
Thanks, I overlooked something that was right infromt my nose, sorry for the fuss I made. :eek: