• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Is the Learjet losing its luster?

Would you say there is potential in the market for payware Learjets?

• Yay

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Country
us-illinois
I know Milviz just started work on a model 60 but man...it seems like there aren't many high-quality Lear add-ons, especially when we're talking payware (besides Bill O's good old 24B, of course.) You would think that by now there would be a nice variety of options available, especially for the older models like the 20, 30 and even 40 series.

A lot of people say that the default 45 is good enough but I'm sure that most of us will agree that it's awfully dated. I, for one, would like to see something fresh take its place.

Country
us-michigan
XtreamProtoypes has just announced an updated Lear 25 in the works for FSX P3D etc..

There is the Flysimware Lear 35a which is also for the new platforms.

Thought that maybe I read a Lear 55 in or planned development too.

That would cover most of the broad spectrum really with Bill's Lear 24.

There are the new Lear 70/75's coming out of Wichita now, but they are still fairly scare comparatively.

Missing IMHO is the Dassualt family. Falcon 900, 2000, 10, 20.......

A good FA20 would be cool with either the 731's or even the old GE engines..

Greg

Country
us-arizona
Dassault unfortunately will not let its Falcon be released for FS. Even the freeware one for FS2002/FS2004 was at first cancelled, but they relented as it was freeware.

Country
us-california
A good FA20 would be cool with either the 731's or even the old GE engines..

Yep, that'd be nice, with a great sound kit showcasing the old GE's, might as well piss off the neighbors.

I dunno Ozzy, the default FSX Lear 45 is a bit dated, but it is free with the subscription, it flies nicely, and it is well organized for IFR flights. I would like an updated VC with adjustable cockpit lighting though.

But when it comes right down to simulating non-single pilot certified jets, short of having the necessary hardware to share the cockpit with a friend, we just have to make do with whatever aircraft we have, realism be damned.

I remember when I bought the Eaglesoft Citation X for FS9 ..... I probably spent a week reading the manual just to get the engines started, and it was awesome just to sit in the cockpit flipping switches and drooling.
I feel better knowing that in real life, whether they drool or not, the pilots of a Citation X also spend a lot of preflight time in the cockpit preparing for a flight.

Come to think of it, a nicely modeled Challenger 605 might be interesting..... :D

Cheers
Gman

Country
us-illinois
Dassault unfortunately will not let its Falcon be released for FS. Even the freeware one for FS2002/FS2004 was at first cancelled, but they relented as it was freeware.

I've heard similar stories about the Gulfstream jets...but then Wilco comes out with a Falcon 7X...I never understood how, unless they struck some sort of amazing deal with Dassault.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Dassault unfortunately will not let its Falcon be released for FS.
I've heard similar stories about the Gulfstream jets...but then Wilco comes out with a Falcon 7X...I never understood how, unless they struck some sort of amazing deal with Dassault.
Wilco Publishing Teams Up with Dassault Aviation

Wilco Publishing is excited to announce today an official partnership with Dassault Aviation to design aircraft add-ons for PC-based flight simulators, Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D.

The first to be released is the Falcon 7X, Dassault’s benchmark for the 21st century business jet.

I would suggest the deal would not be that amazing. Consider that every commercial venture desires exposure, as in good exposure and anyone that makes anything big enough to cause liability damage, the dreaded "D" word, is going to be careful about what representations of the big thing they approve. It isn't so much that Boeing said it was ok to practice flying under bridges, as much as it is a question whether Boeing will have to buy themselves out of some bogus lawsuit because someone landed a 737 on an aircraft carrier in FSX. Obviously Boeing says, "bollocks, we'll do fine;" Gulfstream, not so sure.

It is likely why some marques choose the high road and approve no representation and never admit they are secretly thrilled when they see versions of their product for which they did not have to assume the responsibility of that representation.

As to the original question, I believe the return on investment would be marginal and there are probably more attractive alternatives.

Country
us-arizona
Golfstrom... I couldnt remember that name last night. They hate flight sim. Crazy as that sounds. This sim brings in people that later become pilots. Harrison Ford is a sim pilot. Millionaires play this sim and dont you know they would love to fly in a high detail sim plane of the jet they are thinking of getting, or be a pilot of. These big companies do not realize the potential of having their plane in a simulator. Eyes that see but cannot see. Minds that think but cannot think...

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Golfstrom...

That would be the famous Swedish bizjet builder?? Yuou muost cleer yuour mudel vit zee-a meker, bork bork bork. (apologies if you don't speak Chef...)

The_Swedish_Chef.jpg

Country
us-arizona
lol...

There 'is' a real Swedish firm that make a nice jet. I dont know if they still do. Sleek thing. Bill Lyons made one of it for FS.

Country
us-michigan
Voted yes, but would like to clarify that it would better to model the newer Lear 70/75 which replaced the 40/45 series. Basically the same externally except for the winglets are more canted now. Big difference is in the panel. Garmin touchscreens replaced the Honeywell panels. It would be more difficult as there is not as much reference material compared to the Lear 45's yet, but would be current and trendy...
Once again, my opinion..:)

Greg

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Milviz just mentioned progress with their L-J 60 XR on Facecloth: it's being coded.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Voted yes, but would like to clarify that it would better to model the newer Lear 70/75 which replaced the 40/45 series. Basically the same externally except for the winglets are more canted now. Big difference is in the panel. Garmin touchscreens replaced the Honeywell panels. It would be more difficult as there is not as much reference material compared to the Lear 45's yet, but would be current and trendy...
Once again, my opinion..:)

Didn't Bombardier axe the 70 series a few years ago or was that the 80 series?

Touchscreens are nasty to do in XML. Very nasty.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There's a forum I know featuring threads on the "XX is the new YY": eyebleach a necessity, eeyuck.

Country
ca-ontario
To answer the OP's question... I think the classic Learjets are well covered between existing and in-development projects.

A well-done LJ45 would be a welcome addition and a definite purchase on day one for me. By well done I don't mean it has to be PMDG quality with full failure simulation.....I'm at least looking for something where what IS simulated is done accurately (even if some systems are not simulated) and doesn't have GLARING bugs on release.

Too much to ask?

While we're dreaming....Falcon 10/20/50/900/2000, Global Express (Gulfstream is out to lunch and Wilco hasn't done a good job on the Falcon 7x......there is a big gap in the market for a "well done" Ultra Long Range Biz Jet)

Country
us-michigan
Lear 31a has never been touched except of an AI version by HTAI.

Cross between a Lear 35 and the Lear 45 kinda... Has more of a standard EFIS Lear 35 cockpit. No tip tanks though like the 40/45's. Performance is similar to the 20 series Lears with insane climb rates.

Greg