• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Is there a setting for how large a 'footprint' displays?

Country
australia
I just downloaded a library of animated figures people) which when placed in my project display an absolutely HUGE 'footprint' of the object yet in MSFS the object is the correct size.
Is there a setting so that such library objects appear relatively 'normal' in size (compare to all other objects in the project).
Eg (ahq guy 6 c1 headset stand wave)

000_huge.jpg

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
I think that you can modify this footprint via MCX (the yellow box which is attached at each objet)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Except we cannot export skinned mesh animations from MCX.

Curiously, I linked an object to a skinned mesh node and the linked object's animation did display in MCX. So presumably, someone could make a hinged joint puppet type model, link all it's extremities to the skinned mesh animation and export the animation that way from MCX.

Barring that, or any breakthrough from Arno, we must adjust footprints in 3d software, or abandon skinned mesh animations to enjoy the feature rich functionality of MCX.

Country
us-illinois
I just downloaded a library of animated figures people) which when placed in my project display an absolutely HUGE 'footprint' of the object yet in MSFS the object is the correct size.
Is there a setting so that such library objects appear relatively 'normal' in size (compare to all other objects in the project).
Eg (ahq guy 6 c1 headset stand wave)

Hi John:

Is this animated object placed with scaling having been used ?

IIRC, one may not scale animated 3D models (during 'placement') without losing the animations. :alert:

I have not tested this in ADE, but since the engine that generates footprints is from Arno's MCX, we might be able to load a 3D model into MCX, then use MCX' own feature set to generate a properly sized footprint from MCX.

MCX Menu > Special Tools > Generate footprint object

AFAIK, we my be able to somehow import it into the ADE footprint data base at the correct size ? :scratchch

That would of course ...be complicated.

But maybe that would be less complicated than getting another update for ADE in year 2022 ? :oops:

MCX can be used to generate its own "footprints", and export to a MSFS scenery library BGL format; these can be imported to ADE-LOM.

Alternatively, such footprints can be individually exported to glTF and imported to ADE-LOM via the User Model Manager (aka "UMM").

Then, IIUC, ADE could scan the object at its size within a BGL, and insert a properly sized footprint for one's placement in the work-space.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Mod maker here,

The models are scaled correctly in Blender but I have to feed them through Mixamo to animate them and then another program to convert them to gltfs.

It's possible either of those have done something whacky but I can't think of anything obvious or noticeable. They drop in fine with the regular SDK.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
IIRC, one may not scale animated 3D models (during 'placement') without losing the animations.
Scaling animations is supported with the inbuilt Scenery Editor, but it has a and I’ve had overly large models that do not shrink far enough.

Don’t despair, there are default buildings with the same affliction, so it’s not just us.

One could presume that the scaling value is a metric ADE can convey to the sim without having to edit the model. Jon would probably know.

Country
australia
Is this animated object placed with scaling having been used ?
I have no idea however superspud, the author of the library package (and thanks to him for it), advised after your post that it is scaled in Blender but also advises
but I have to feed them through Mixamo to animate them and then another program to convert them to gltfs.
which I wonder is the cause as I have added animation to models using Blender which appear with a footprint correctly scaled.

Normally it wouldn't concern me but it makes placement of multiple 'people' close together a challenge.

I have no doubt that it doesn't occur when placing the people directly with SDK and as I am updating an airport I created with ADE and before I had even tried SDK I was hoping there was a quick fix.

Thanks again everyone.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Tools > Library Object Manager > Use Small Footprint

1663423630919.png

I don't know if this would serve your needs. It is intended to generate a small footprint for objects that have a large one. The example is a light pole where the footprint includes the cast light area but in most cases it makes sense to just have the pole.

http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/LibraryObjects.html and read the section on Over large footprints. Of course this is just a display aid and does not affect the physical footprint