• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Is there any GIS sapefile for the autogen tile boundaries?

Country
australia
Does anyone know of a GIS dataset of the autogen tile grid in FSX for those of us using Globalmapper and GIS data to create autogen (in ScenProc for example)?

cheers

Braedon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

scenProc can make such a file for you for sure. If you give it a rectangle as input, the SplitGrid step will make the whole autogen grid.

But why do you want to have the grid as GIS file?

Country
australia
G'day Arno,

So that I can see the AGN boundaries on a very large PR and work out building height ranges in the different AGN tiles to apply to the building outline poly I have for the city.

I may be missing something in my understanding of how that all works however.

cheers

Braedon

Country
australia
I guess my issue is:
If I have a large PR that covers an entire city and 20+km surrounding, how do I direct scenproc to have buildings with 1-2 levels in one area and 3-4 in another if I don't know where the AGN cell boundaries are with respect to my GIS vector data (which covers the entire area)?

I figured that if I had the AGN areas I could add an attribute to the bulding polys in that area with a height range that I could get scenproc to read and use (??)

cheers

Braedon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can also just draw a rougj outline polygon of your city in your GIS tool. And then use the AddCellAttributeIfInside step to test if a till is in that polygon or not. Based on that attribute you then select a different height.

Country
australia
I sort of need the reverse... I need to know if a poly/city/building is in (or encompases) an AGN tile, and if so which one and how to specify building heights inside that cell (as opposed to the AGN tiles around it which may have different heights). It would be ideal if scenproc could calculate this from the data. By that I mean maybe a poly around the building outlines with the attribute for height range of that area or attributes within the building poly's themselves, and make an intelligent decision on what heights and percentages to put in the AGN tile value, without me needing to know about AGN tile locations...

AFAIK, you have to specify AGN building height for the entire cell, is that correct (thus the requirement to know where they are relative to my data)?

I'm still preparing the imagery and colour the seasons (currently a 150,000 x 100,000 pixel PSB file stitched together from 2000+ screenshots of aerial imagery) that I somehow need to export and georeference), so I have looked at the scenproc manual and the videos on youtube, but just trying to get my head around it so that I can be ready when I have my imagery done. Thus I may be missing something in my understanding the process.

cheers

Braedon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I don't think you need the reverse logic for what you want. I'll make a sample script to show how it works (and I should put it in the manual as well).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I was planning to do so tonight, but my child doesn't want to sleep right now. So I can't spend more time behind the PC. Hopefully I find some time for it tomorrow.

Country
australia
I'm hearing you there Arno... My kids (lack of) sleep patterns have interrupted a lot of my plans over the years...

cheers

Braedon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It took a little longer than I planned, but I have added the sample to the scenProc manual now. So grab the new build in an hour or so and have a look at section 5.7 of the manual.