FSX Island can't be hardened

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi,

I've spent a lot of time with KML stuff in the last couple of years, but from one day to the other I'm not capable of making an island hard (=no water surface) anymore. This is pretty weird because I do everything just the way I did before with other projects.

See the KML screenshot: I created the general exclude, the water poly, the polyhole and some (not neccessary) grass poly, but the aircraft still splashes into water even though the island is displayed correctly in FSX.

Any obvious mistakes I made? :confused:

Attachments

sorry if I can't help, only to ask you if you have been making islands with fsx-kml lately, I've tried but always without succes, as to your problem the only thing I could think is the first polygon "exclude all", could be that, the tutorial say of make a "exclude hidropolygon" only. but if that have been working :confused:

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
I've made quite a lot of islands with FSX MKL, no problems at all. I always use exclude_everything in order to get a big hardened area to start with.

If I can help you with your issue you're welcome. I just need to figure what's wrong with mine as well. :)

Yes, now are two problems :D, anyway this was something that really burned me out, really annoying. this seem the simplest thing but I don't know what happen. but it's something which I can live with :eek:

Well, I must say to the world that I got my island, a little step for the man-----etc., and at the first attempt, whay not work before ?, only God know :confused:, that's all, I'm proud of myshelf :cool:, little and ugly islet in the middle of nowhere, but is mine.I attach picture, default island and customed. this is in the north of Canary island, 100 mn far. Wild island.(ilha selvahem, in portuguese).

Attachments

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Very nice indeed. Funny enough, mine is not that far away! :eek:

Actually it is at lat 32 / lon -27 if you want to take a look at it. Unfortunately it's water even if it looks like grass. :(

Attachments

Hi Host,

vry wierd cvx:
- outside poly is kind of Hydro_Polygons_Generic_River_Perennial and covers 25 lod8 : I don't understand. Considering you project, it should be only 1 lod8.

- light blue ring is same hydropoly plus a fake exclude (Guid ident is null)

- inner dark blue is same than outside

- green island is simple parks and thats all

As there is no waterpoly exclusion over the island...

Attachments

Last edited:

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
I think this is weird indeed, because I made plenty of islands using this technique. Will try to use a hydro exclude.

As far as I can see:
your island is located middle of atlantic ocean so:
1/ exclude waterpoly on lod 9 or 8 including your island.
2/ set your new (lod9 or 8) waterpoly with the island shape as hole. It should be ocean poly instead of river.

That's enough to set an island. Then you can add shores and so on.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
This is really, really weird. I just can't get the exclude to work. I always get this square within a square thing.
Polyhole, landclass, water is all ok, just the excludes don't seem to work.

Maybe I'm just stupid - what tag do you use to exclude the water?

Last edited:
Thank you all indeed friends, you must understand me, this little thing made me a little angry because I can't have success, and well at last there it is, will be good for excersize navigation issues.
Thorsten as I said before I had a lot of problem, now just make a bgl with three kml files,
exclude hydropolygon
hydropolygon generic ocean perennial
polyhole

Afterward I take out the shorelines and change the landclass for lanclass rock.
I think the only diference is that now I put all the three first kml files together in the first bgl.
Besides I've got a mesh for the island. which was great.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Ok, I give up. :eek:

Maybe you can help me pointing out what exactly I'm doing wrong - I just can't get rid of the water.

Attachments

you are using hidro polygon generic river , I don't know if make any difference, but must be generic ocean perennial, and do this polygon much more large in size thab the exlude water. And never say never again, as you can see after 6 months y could fix that :D, Anyway I understood you, I get the feeling that FsxKml is a little erratic in his behaviour.
The island is almost in the same latitude that mine :D

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Alain, does the file work for you? I still get a splash if I use your file.

I start to think that my FSX has some problem. :(

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
This is so very, very weird. Is there a chance that FSX simply does not like an island right there? Whatever I do, I get a perfectly looking island, water around it, everything perfect, but ths island is still detected as water. I start to think there's something hard-coded in FSX that does not allow me to harden the area. :confused: