• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Issue of objects not working in both P3D and FSX

Country
unitedstates
I have come across an issue that I need some advice/insight/help on. I created some lights that work as agn. If I process them using MCX as P3D and place them in my addon scenery folder (not the flightsim platform's folders), they work in P3D but not in FSX as I would expect.

Again using MCX, I process them this time as FSX files and they work both in P3D and FSX when I have them in my local add-on scenery folder. So I take it P3D is backwards compatible to work with these FSX lights.

The issue...

I released the FSX versions to my beta testers. One can only see the lights in FSX:SE and not FSX and another tester cannot see the lights at all in FSX or FSX:SE. Yet, again I can see them on my system either in FSX or FSX:SE.

Any ideas/input as to why they cannot but I can?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Have you confirmed that their settings are allowing the lights to appear?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Some details about these effects are necessary. Did you use a default .bmp image, or distribute the image you used? I make effects by editing what I already have and often times, those are aftermarket effects, with custom .bmps. In order to avoid any possible infringement, I'll create a similar version of this texture, before distributing my custom effects, but if the texture is not available in the system, the effect will not render.
This is really the only logical explanation for - and while we are on the subject, why would someone run parallel FSX/FSX:SE (?) - the effect working in one and not the other.

Here we see a common effect, "Amazon Explosion" and it's .bmp is the equally common fx_2.bmp.

fx edit.JPG

Country
unitedstates
Wow, such quick responses... :)

But I think I need to clarify better. There are no effects. Here's what I did.

1. Using 3DSMax create a simple model with a couple of planes.
2. Textured the plane with my "light" bmp.
3. Exported as an "X" model.
4. Using MCX I created FSX mdl files.
5. Converted texture to .dds
6. Using Library Creator X I created an FSX bgl.
7. Place the light .bgl file in my add-on scenery folder.
8. Placed the .dds files (daytime and _LM file) in my add-on texture folder.
9. Run P3D (any version) and they appear.
10. Run FSX or FSX:SE and they appear.

Beta tester #1 can see the lights but only in FSX:SE
Beta tester#2 can not see the lights in FSX or FSX:SE

Hope that helps.
Clutch

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
"Lights," imply effect lighting, your description implies you are using a ground polygon, with a modified night texture, to resemble the wash a light produces, or perhaps two crossed planes, the way trees are represented. If this is the case, there is no difference between FSX and FSX:SE, in regard to displaying models and it again becomes a matter of different configurations and aftermarket software, likely meshes, although you have not made the distinction whether this light plane object is visible only at night, or at all.

Consider, we are trouble shooting a problem, relayed third party and the level of accuracy is conjectural. Is this payware? It seems more expedient to share the problem files.

Country
unitedstates
Thank you Rick for your response. Yes, we are using a ground poly to represent the light "splash". The issue is the object model not showing in both platforms. Do you have both a P3D version and an FSX version? If so, I could create/attach a little sample to for you to check in both versions.

Took a look at your Warehouse sketchup models... my mouth was drooling over those! :p

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ah, thanks. I like to make little "tableaux."

ISI-Woody-Island.jpg
jkAm6vQl.jpg

DkD6Mj7l.jpg

I have both sims, latest versions.

Country
unitedstates
Here Rick, (or anyone for that matter), attached is a little scenery file. You should be able to see the white lights whether you are running FSX, FSX:SE or P3Dv2, v3, or v4. Please let me know. If anyone else has both an FSX and a P3D version installed I would luv for you to try this as well and let me know if you see the lights in both versions, one version or no version. There's a little READ ME with coordinates.

Many thanks,

Clutch

Attachments

• Lights Test.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 134

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I have several observations. The light test object seems to be very complex, for an intersecting, transparent plane 2 dimensional representation of a 3d object, which in itself isn't an integral issue, but, for example, I see no functional reason why the day texture should be transparent. Given it is a representation of a light that is intended to be visible at night, this is a test environment - planes at Edwards AFB are orange, not camouflaged, for good reason and we don't need to establish that the light can be representationally turned off.

The scenery package contains a relatively large file called, "P3D-FSX light test ground.bgl" and "P3D-FSX light.BGL," which, when imported into MCX, appears to be the actual test model. I am not sure why you'd include what appears to be a ground .bgl for this kind of object, but all that is required to display this model in the simulator is a library object (the light) and a placement data .bgl, which itself is optional, because the location can be compiled right into the object itself, turning it into a scenery .bgl.

When installed and activated in FSX:SE, nothing appears. Given my understanding of FSX processes, I do not believe this scenery package, as delivered will show up. My advice about visibility above seems reasonable. So maybe it works beyond my powers of rendering. I activated Instant Scenery 3 and searched for all activated scenery layers within a 10 mile radius and nothing was visible. I found the scenery library for "Light Test" and manually placed the model object for visual reference. In the attached video, you can see the object disappear momentarily while moving. This could be an issue with my video render, or it could be an issue with the model itself, suggesting another impediment to visibility.

As a final test, I used the convert and place object wizard of MCX to turn the light model object into a scenery .bgl, using the placement data in the readme. You can see that it appears in the simulator as expected.

light test.JPG

Attachments

• SWS_light_white_boost.BGL
    2.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Light Test.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
Country
unitedstates
Thank you for the reply... quite detailed. To respond.:

"I have several observations. The light test object seems to be very complex, for an intersecting, transparent plane 2 dimensional representation of a 3d object, which in itself isn't an integral issue, but, for example, I see no functional reason why the day texture should be transparent. Given it is a representation of a light that is intended to be visible at night, this is a test environment - planes at Edwards AFB are orange, not camouflaged, for good reason and we don't need to establish that the light can be representationally turned off."

Are you saying I don't need a daytime texture? I have it transparent so it does not show up in the daytime. Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

"The scenery package contains a relatively large file called, "P3D-FSX light test ground.bgl" and "P3D-FSX light.BGL," which, when imported into MCX, appears to be the actual test model. I am not sure why you'd include what appears to be a ground .bgl for this kind of object, but all that is required to display this model in the simulator is a library object (the light) and a placement data .bgl, which itself is optional, because the location can be compiled right into the object itself, turning it into a scenery .bgl."

The reason I included the ground scenery is the light is being converted to an autogen model.... and that just gave me an "ah-Ha" moment. Of course you can't see it as I did not provide the custom default.xml with the addition of the light. "D'oh!" :rolleyes:

"When installed and activated in FSX:SE, nothing appears."

That's what I was looking for , but again, now I know why.

Thanks again, for taking the time on your observations, Rick.

(We'll have to talk down the road about those warehouses, ha!)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Are you saying I don't need a daytime texture? I have it transparent so it does not show up in the daytime. Maybe I am misunderstanding you?
If it was visible in the daytime, it would probably be easier to see and since that is what people are trying to do, it seems like a daytime test texture would be appropriate.