• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Issue with sun light/angle to MCX ground polygons

Hi,
@arno (and the rest), I am trying to figure out an issue, which happens only in P3Dv5.
Depending on the time of the day and the position of the sun, the rest of the scenery responds differently in terms of brightness/illumination, compared to the ground polygon exported from MCX. This as a result causes a texturing contrast between the scenery and the ground polygon.
I am attaching a video where you can see clearly the issue. (Bottom half is the MCX polygon and top part is my photoreal scenery which responds to light exactly the same way as the default scenery). I guess I am missing a setting in MCX? I searched the forums, had a play with Assume vertical normal, shadow settings, specular values/colors etc. all of no luck.

Any one knows what's causing this behavior, which as said above, only happens in P3Dv5 - P3Dv4 works perfectly.

Thanks

Attachments

• P3Dv5 Sun Issue.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 86

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'll watch the video later on my pc, typing this from my phone.

Are you use PBR or standard materials on the ground polygons? And which sim version did you select for the export on the GPW?

Hi,
Ground polygon is with standard materials only, no PBR and I am exporting for P3D v4.4.

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I had a look at the video now and I see the lighting and color are slightly different. But given that 3D objects and terrain scenery are completely different parts of the scenery engine that it not really surprising. You might want to check what kind of color the diffuse and ambient color of your ground polygon model are, maybe you can make them a bit lighter.

Hi,
Ambient and diffuse are already white so that won't help much I guess.
The issue is when the rest of the scenery is more bright/whitish and the ground polygon has a "darker" response to light changes.

Having said that and from the fact that P3Dv4 works great on this aspect, my understanding is that, it's not a matter of a MCX setting, it's just how P3Dv5 handles lighting and it's a dead end to the issue?

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am afraid it is something outside of your control indeed. Did you already double check if all normals point in the right direction?

Yes all looking good in that aspect. If it's P3D engine then it might auto fix the issue in the future :)

Thanks for clearing this up