• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Issues with ground polygon creation

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In this thread I would like to make an inventory of the issues and problems that developers now have with the construction of ground polygons. Please add the issues that you feel are most annoying!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
One issue I would say is that developers need to use the FS2002 gamepack for ground polygons. Even installing this gamepack can already be a lot of work and it makes the workflow more complex. Besides that the tweaks required in the ASM file also form an additional barrier to making such polygons.

So one idea that I have is that the tool can read a FS2004 or FSX MDL file, extract the ground polygons from these and then create the proper (FS2002 gamepack like) output for ground polygons. During this process even the cutting into smaller pieces for the FSX earth curvation can be done automatically, so that the developer does not have to worry about this in GMax anymore.

An interesting question here would be if users prefer to make their ground polygons in GMax or that a ground polygon tool should also have the possibility to draw them directly in the tool. For example with a background image of the airport. Making sure that the GMax coordinates line up with the world can be difficult as well. I would like to know how others think about this.

Let me know if there are more issues you would like to add...

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
One of the bigger pains I have with FS8 ground polys is how they eliminate autogen within their area. It may be that it's not possible to stop this, but if we could, it would be an enormous help.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Another issue that I had with Tongass Fjords X is that it seems adding night textures to stacked FS8 ground polys results in drawing errors in the DX10 preview. I was trying to do some splashes of light on an apron, but in DX10 it came out as a blank, untextured block. Once I removed the night texture variants, the problem was resolved, but then I couldn't do my lights. Again, not sure if anything can be done for this, but it's a problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
One of the bigger pains I have with FS8 ground polys is how they eliminate autogen within their area. It may be that it's not possible to stop this, but if we could, it would be an enormous help.

I think it might be possible to minimize this if the code produced is setup cleverly, although completely preventing it might not be possible. I'll put that one on the list as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have setup a Wiki page where I will keep track of the issues mentioned and I will update it as the discussions go on.

Last edited:
Its been some time since I messed with this, but at that time we had to create seperate polys every 100m or so, to avoid distortion due to round earth.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Its been some time since I messed with this, but at that time we had to create seperate polys every 100m or so, to avoid distortion due to round earth.

Yes, that is still the case. Automatically doing that in the background is also on my idea list :).

Country
us-michigan
What about being able to make light pool polys with transparency that can be set on or off at different times of day or month or year? Basically putting a time condition on the poly.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What about being able to make light pool polys with transparency that can be set on or off at different times of day or month or year? Basically putting a time condition on the poly.

Thanks, that is a nice idea as well, to help in the construction of night sceneries.

Country
newzealand
Been thinking, insteed of trying to shape the poly to the ground, maybe we could completly flatten to ground?

Could this be done?
Or just have one flat poly with one flat platform under it. Although depending on how much the earth falls you might see the edges lifted off the ground.

nick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I don't think flattening would work, you would still have the curvation. And for a polygon of a few hundred meters you will easily see that at the edges.

Country
australia
An option to fork the process to make FSX ground polys would be nice...

Biggest problem I have with those at the moment is coplanar taxi lines and drawing order (ie they are invisible in a project that I'm working on). It would be nice if the tool could either rename materials and/or set all the correct parameters to have the taxi-lines both appear as they should and not z-fight with the GP. Also making them curve properly with the GP when you deform it for earth's curvature, and calculating/ setting that curvature would be nice.

Automating the application of precipitation and other FSX effects might be handy too if we're looking at making it possible for everyone to make a GP easily without knowing too much of the nitty gritty.

EDIT: Some other things I just thought of:
- Manipulating huge files (PSB and/or BigTIFF) as even a regional airport can have a source image >2GB and 30000 pixels in any direction
- Keeping the scale between the GMAX model and the source image can be a challenge when applying UVW maps.
- Some method would need to be defined to define a cut-out area and scale parameters so that the tool knew how many pixels were in a set distance. Some sort of image registering system might be required to set out pixels/meter, runway orientation, etc.
- Automating creation of the 5-8 pixel border around the edges of the tiles to prevent the seams showing at the tile edges.
- having the ability to output to a format that can be edited to refine the textures and do some post-processing before compiling, and to tweak the LODS on an FSX poly is necessary which would be hard to automate.

cheers

Bungo

Last edited: