• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Joining Taxiways to the Runway

Country
wales
I understand what you are saying Jon.
So if I want to expand my knowledge and skills in your opinion I should be looking at the BGLcomp section.
How do I go about getting this under my belt.?
However Jon I must admit that there are some bits of SBX I have not been able to understand. I have had some help from Luis F-T and 1 or 2 others but it is still not clear. I have to be careful what I say as Luis might read this and I certanly don't want to appear disrespectful or rude. So it is possible that I might find KML more to my liking.

Richard

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Go to your FSX SDK folder then into SDK then Environment Kit and then Bgl Compiler SDK (yes it is well hidden :)) in that folder your should see the bgl compiler.html This contains the basic information we all use to create scenery using BglComp. Don't worry too much about the actual XML but you might want to take a look at the Airport section and the description of attributes found in the yellow boxes. This tells you more or less what each part of an airport contains and you might recognize some of the stuff from the ADE property dialogs. In effect when you set a property like runway number of apron surface in ADE you are creating or changing one of those attributes. What ADE does when you ask it to compile your airport is generate the XML needed from the elements and values that you have set and pass that to BglComp to create your airport.

Hopefully this will help increase your knowledge of why things sometimes happen.

Final warning :) I need to repeat that the SDK documentation is not always 100% correct. It is a big job to keep it up to date as FSX evolves and sometimes it is a bit off. We know where most of the problems are by now though :D

Country
wales
Have found that.
But already I am missing something, WHERE do you actually do the "building" what do you have to open.?
I understand that in ADE you "open" a stack aorport or creat a new one. I can do that but what do you open in to use SDK??

Richard

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Sorry Richard you do not open anything. If you want to 'use' the SDK and my suggestion was that you didn't do that then you would write your XML using either Notepad or an XML Editor and have BglComp compile the resultant XML file. My suggestion is that you look at the SDK documentation to increase your understanding of what is going in

Country
wales
Jon, I don't really understand what this is all about so will stick with what I do understand, relatively speaking.
This is what I mean by having a step by step guide,it's all very well reading but if you don't understand what you are reading it doesn't make any sense.

Richard.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Fair enough - you can certainly manage without it