• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

KLAX 25R and 24L

I began to try this at KLAX. I made a SCASM overlay 06L/24R and it looks fine (also moved runway height a bit upwards). Then I went into ADEX and made changes to 06L/24R, length down to 6496,0 ft and moved it eastwards to keep the touchdown points. But it doesn't work. All traffic (also heavies) still requesting 24R for landing, nothing for 24L.

What now, any further changes in the xml-code or in ADEX?

Thanks in advance :)
Ron

Hi Ron

I missed seeing this post when you added it to the thread. You could have 2 LAX airports active which will cause a problem.

I did a quick weight restriction setup for LAX and the runways are working correctly. Planes like the MD80's and less in weight use Runway 24R. Planes like the B757 and larger use runway 24L.

In this picture you can see what size plane is going to land on 24R and 24L

In this picture we see the B737 landing on 24R and a B747 on final for 24L. A B767 is starting its takeoff roll

The B747 is touching down and another B737 is on final for 24R

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi Jim,

Can you give us a quick mini-tutorial on how to do this? The Wiki article says nothing about the details of using SCASM runways for this purpose (that I can find).

Thanks,

Hi Jim,

Can you give us a quick mini-tutorial on how to do this? The Wiki article says nothing about the details of using SCASM runways for this purpose (that I can find).

Thanks,

The Wiki is about the use of a SCASM runway. The runway weight restriction code does not mean SCASM must be used. I only know SCASM and nothing about GMAX or other forms of making runways so any type runway will work except XML.

To be more specific the only thing important is the number on the runway. XML will not compile 2 runways with the same primary number/letter so we have to overlay a non xml runway (with its own runway numbers) on top of the xml runway which has its numbers in the XML primary runway code.

Payware airports are ideal for setting up weighted runways since they cover up the XML runway and use their own design.

Back to your question. Are you asking for the information based on all prop planes, all jet planes or both? Props use one type of code and Jets use another type code.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

I guess this is all way over my head. I still don't understand how you are using these "runways made from anything but XML", and how they relate to the XML runways used by the AI aircraft. I would need much more detail, and perhaps an example with numbers, etc.

I am talking about a mixture of jets (707 size and smaller), turboprops, and piston aircraft. Luckily the classic airports that need such treatment can be counted on the fingers of one hand (parallel runways were quite rare back then), so it's not a big deal for me.

Hi,

I guess this is all way over my head. I still don't understand how you are using these "runways made from anything but XML", and how they relate to the XML runways used by the AI aircraft. I would need much more detail, and perhaps an example with numbers, etc.

I am talking about a mixture of jets (707 size and smaller), turboprops, and piston aircraft. Luckily the classic airports that need such treatment can be counted on the fingers of one hand (parallel runways were quite rare back then), so it's not a big deal for me.

I hesitate to do a quick tutorial in this thread.

1. It would generate more questions.
2. There are rules that I have to list and explain based on type airplane.
3. Prop planes only use 2 rules (1 single, 1 multi engine) for the runway length. Jet planes use a math formula based on runway length/empty weight.
4. I was hoping ADE could do some of the underhood work.
5. The start date on this thread is more then a year old.

Number 5 is based on the link I am listing below. I don't know the outcome of that poll or any decision Admin/Mods will make since the poll does not close for 3 more weeks.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425756

I have started a set of tutorials for upload somewhere. The first will be a basic for the prop planes. Since prop planes are based on type engines many default small airports fit into this group.

The first rule for weight restriction is 2 runways are active. That includes any default parallel set and using my Xwind runway technique to make runways think they are parallel.

The second tutorial will be for Jets which is a little more complex.

Number 5 is based on the link I am listing below. I don't know the outcome of that poll or any decision Admin/Mods will make since the poll does not close for 3 more weeks.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425756

Arno added a new plugin

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=636072&postcount=33

Hi,

I have just installed a plugin that will warn you when you are posting in a thread older than 90 days. You will also have to check a checkbox before you can reply to make you aware it is an old thread.

No locking or closing at all. just a notice of the age since last post.

Hi Jim,

I tried my best but it does not work.

You could have 2 LAX airports active which will cause a problem.

There is no other than the one active I have worked on, again checked with Jons Airport Scanner. At last I have taken out the afcad and the runway file into an extra folder and registered it on the top in the scenery library but it still didn't work.

Maybe I have forget somethingin ADEX? I have attached the xml code of the runway and the scasm code for the overlay.

Thank you again.

brgds,
Ron

Last edited:
<Runway lat="33.9515657019879" lon="-118.407730303243"
alt="125.997F" surface="ASPHALT"
heading="82.9700012207031"
length="3516.0F"
width="150.0F" number="06"
designator="LEFT"
patternAltitude="1000.0F"
primaryTakeoff="NO"
primaryLanding="NO"
primaryPattern="LEFT"
secondaryTakeoff="YES"
secondaryLanding="YES"
secondaryPattern="RIGHT">

For Jets runway length must be between 5000 and 6999.9 ft. Set to 6500 for testing. Besure to change the original 06L holdshort to a normal node and shorten runway link line to match the 6500 XML runway.

Open primary for Takeoff and Landing. Only after you have the jets landing on both 24L and 24R then you can test closing a primary runway end.

Here is a picture at 6900 ft.
Change the far left (06L) hold short to a normal node.
Shorten the runway link line so it ends on the runway.
Remove all runway markings and lights since the SCASM runway has those.
Adjust the PAPI's with the FSX XML runway property (using ADE)
Add the SCASM runway to your folder so it hides the XML runway

Last edited:
Hi again,

I'm just installed P3D v2 and it seems the SCASM modified runway causes some problems with the exposure.

With this bgl in the sim, the menu bar and the gauges are flickering within the airport area. If you leave it or point your viewpoint outside it, it turns to normal.

I will take a look into the code, maybe the elevation need to be trimmed a bit. But maybe someone have another idea?

brgds,
Ron

Hi again,

I'm just installed P3D v2 and it seems the SCASM modified runway causes some problems with the exposure.

With this bgl in the sim, the menu bar and the gauges are flickering within the airport area. If you leave it or point your viewpoint outside it, it turns to normal.

I will take a look into the code, maybe the elevation need to be trimmed a bit. But maybe someone have another idea?

brgds,
Ron

Ron

I have seen other post saying that PD3 V2 may not be backward compatible like Ver 1.4 was. Like you say, tweaking may help.