• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX KORD RWY 14L VASI setup...

Country
us-newjersey
I recently had to adjust the ILS/glide-slope "cone" in ADE for the default KORD 14L. (The default glide-slope/ILS had me touching down halfway down the runway)

However, now the VASI lights are always telling me I am too high (all white) for the entire approach.

I need a detailed explanation on how to adjust/move the VASI position (in ADE) so that it coincides with the new position of the ILS/glide-slope.

Screen shots of the procedure would be helpful.

Scott

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
Scott,
unless you are creating the airport for you own use runway 14L/32R is now closed in the real world
the glide slope may be in the right position perhaps the lights are in the wrong position
i thought it was a PAPI not a VASI for that runway, check to make sure it is set to 3 degrees as well

I am not familiar with what is still open at KORD. I depend on Rays information. However, if and when RWY 14L was open

Visual slope indicator: 4-light PAPI on left (3.00 degrees glide path)
Distance from runway landing threshold is 1,350 feet and 55 feet from side of runway.
The GS Transmitter is on left side of runway at a distance of 1,045 feet from landing threshold and 335 feet from side of runway.
VGSI and ILS glidepath are not coincident as per the CAT III chart so the PAPI and GS will not agree.

ADE Manual Section 4.2.8 Blast Pads / Offset Thresholds / VASI shows pictures on how to set PAPI's

Country
us-newjersey
Thanks Jim and Ray. I will try those numbers for the location and see what happens.

What about bean width of the glide-slope? Some runways have 3.0, some have 6.0? Does it depend on the runway width? Is there a standard beam width in SDE?

Scott

Country
newzealand
3 degrees is the angle of decent, different numbers i take it to be what land objects you have to fly over, most times 3 degrees is about average when you check the bulk of airports
also when testing it's a good idea to use the default Beech Baron for your benchmark

snip---------------------

What about bean width of the glide-slope? Some runways have 3.0, some have 6.0? Does it depend on the runway width? Is there a standard beam width in SDE?

Scott

I think you mean the beam width of the Localizer.

It varies from approximately 3 degree to 6, with 5 degree being normal. Runway 14L localizer was set at 3.7

On a more technical note, every runway is of different length, and the localizer antenna is set at the far end of the runway (standard ILS) at different distances. The Localizer (LLZ) beams are different angular degree spreads for each runway so the deflection at the runway threshold is 700 ft. side to side.

End result is the beam is adjusted so the width of full scale deflection of the localizer needle is 700 feet at the runway threshold

Last edited:
Country
us-newjersey
Thanks for the explanations guys! Now I have a better understanding on how to make any adjustments to the glideslope location/beam. And those numbers did fix my VASI location, so that now it works correctly.

Thanks again!

Scott