• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Landclass semi-transparent?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'm trying to modify some landclass with SBuilderX. But as soon as I place the landclass tile in SBuilderX, I can't see my background map anymore. Is there any setting to make the landclass show semi transparent so that I can still see my background map? That would make editing a bit easier I guess.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

IIUC, you are referring to a CVX vector polygon mapped with a Land Class GUID type to be compiled via SHP2VEC ? :scratchch

If so, IIRC, when one first Left-clicks on the border of a polygon object to 'select' it in the workspace, one can then Right-click on that same border, and the pop-up context menu may offer a "Transparency" option which offers some controls for setting the "fill" color and transparency of a ex: polygon.

PS: Additional options for workspace configuration etc. may be implement via edting of the SBuilderX.INI file:

SBuilderX Menu > Edit > Edit INI file ...

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

No, I am not talking about terrain vector polygons, I'm talking about the landclass assignment that is compiled via resample.

Country
us-illinois
Apparently this was considered by Luis, but AFAIK he has not yet found it feasible to implement transparency for Land Class: :coffee:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/...-can-be-fixed/?do=findComment&comment=1567682

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/...-can-be-fixed/?do=findComment&comment=1568129

If actual LC / WC source mosaic colors need to be seen, then this may be a shortcoming in the SBuilderX workspace. :oops:

A possible workaround might be to use a screenshot of the SBuilderX workspace with the LC mosaic displayed, then modified in a graphics application as a semi-transparent layer, or a screenshot of that LC BGL displayed in SDK TMFViewer with transparency ...saved as a TIFF / GeoTIFF file format. :idea:

SBuilderX Menu > Add Map > From Disk

...may allow the resulting loaded image to be "Calibrated" (Geo-referenced) and IIRC, then displayed in the SBuilderX workspace as a 'Background Map' over which other content may be created / edited.

If a LOD / QMID Grid size might be useful as a alternate reference, perhaps that feature can be toggled on / off instead ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gary,

I can't really follow you. My question is about the editor in SBuilderX. If you set a landclass type for a tile there, an image is shown. That image is not transparent, so that you can't see the background map in SBuilderX anymore. I find that annoying when trying to assign the landclass.

Not sure how saving as a GeoTIFF or anything else would help to change that. But I guess it's just how SBuilderX works.

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Arno,

that's a good question but I don't think it's possible. It is somewhat annoying having to exit the landclass tool to be able to see the full image again. And the tile previews in the \Tools\Bmps folder are in jpg format so those wouldn't support transparency. Then again, I haven't tried using .png format or similar for those, perhaps a custom extension could be added to the Lands.txt file?

Cheers, Holger

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'm not using tiles from a webservice, I have loaded a GeoTIFF file with a scanned map as a background. But since the landclass is on top of it, it's not the map that should become transparent, it's the landclass images :)

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Arno,

was that in response to my post? I know what you're trying to achieve and my post was in regard to the raster landclass/waterclass preview tiles, which block the underlying background map from view. They are located in \Tools\Bmps and are, natively, in jpg format.

Cheers, Holger

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Holger,

Thanks for the clarification, I thought you meant the map tiles. Too many different things all called tiles :)

I might have found some raster source I can use to drive the landclass from, so then I don't have to manually assign them anymore.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

Sorry, but based on the description in the OP, I did not initially understand that your work-flow for the 'modification' process involved assigning / editing LC raster preview images based on displayed appearance of the Background Map scanned imagery.

Rather, I had inferred that you were using:

SBuilderX Menu > Append > Class RAW ...

...with colors in a LOD-13 quad gridded mosaic, that needed to be superimposed over a satellite imagery Background Map.

However, my familiarity with this aspect of the SDK Resample feature set is rather limited at this point in time, so I should properly defer to Holger's extensive knowledge of Land Class development as well as a SBuilderX work-flow for this process. :wizard:

Perhaps others faced with this challenge in SBuilderX may consider using:

* (2) windowed task session 'instances' of SBuilderX cascaded / sized adjacent to each other on (1) monitor

...or:

* (1) instance each on (2) separate monitors

...with each instance of SBuilderX displaying pertinent locally aligned content for the required work-flow ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arno.

I don't see a way without a code change for SBX. I believe the images for the landclass tiles are JPG, and that format doesn't have transparency (?)