• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Library Creator XML 3.0

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
I think I could add an option to add all objects in a specific folder. Would that work for you?

Absolutely !

The ideal is setting up a project folder and having the tools "build" the library.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I understand your ideal, but I don't want Library Creator XML to force people to work in a certain way. It should remain a flexible tool that fits many ways of working.

The current option to just add multiple (all files in a folder) MDL files at ones does not work as good for you as adding a folder?

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
I'll confess, that I find it quicker once the xml template is built, to manually edit it and add a new filename as each new model is built.

(This is for FSX libraries of course)

I then usually compile the library via a batch file ....

just a production thing.

I can keep doing that, of course.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I have one request. Like hcornea I often make the XML files myself, since I like my format (the one created by GMAX) better than the one that Library Creator makes (it's neater with everything lined up vertically because the mdl names are listed last). So I would then like Library Creator to make the EZ-Scenery text file *without* compiling the BGL file. Could that be added as a menu item?

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can export a GUID listing from the tools menu, that's the same as the EZ-Scenery file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I had a look at the possibility to add an option to open FS2004 MDL files in MDL Tweaker II directly from Library Creator XML. Unfortunately it is not possible to add this function, since MDL Tweaker II does not take a file as parameter while starting it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have now added the option to edit a GUID. Also I fixed a bug in the replace MDL function, for FS2004 objects the GUID is now preserved.

Country
hungary
Hi Arno!

Thanks for the great tool. I'm using it now since weeks. Works very fine.

One tiny issue I have. When I create a brand new library, I save it giving the xml and bgl file name. Than I work further on the same library, if I want to save it again the program does not remember for the file names. Only if I re-open the library.

One more wish :) : When I do GUID listing of an FS9 library, the list contains the GUID's only. Is it possible to add the mdl's name? In case of FSX library it lists the friendly name which is fine.

Thank you!

Merry christmas to all of you!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

One tiny issue I have. When I create a brand new library, I save it giving the xml and bgl file name. Than I work further on the same library, if I want to save it again the program does not remember for the file names. Only if I re-open the library.

OK, let me check. It should do so in both cases.

One more wish :) : When I do GUID listing of an FS9 library, the list contains the GUID's only. Is it possible to add the mdl's name? In case of FSX library it lists the friendly name which is fine.

It should use the MDL file names, without extension, for a FS2004 library. Let me check what goes wrong there.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have fixed both issues now, so if you get the next development release it should be working.

Country
italy
FS9 library for SBuilder

Hi all,
Just to let you know that a beta version of Library Creator XML 3.0 is now available.......

:) Hi Arno, and first of all thanks for your great work.
I'd like to use this package to reduce the time in development of the scenery work I'm doing, that will have 17th sceneries at last, and will repeat several objects on it (mainly houses). The goal will be create a library for SBuilder use, by GMax and with textures already present on FS9/Texture default folder.
Now, I provide extra houses (where autogen is disable by closed objects) by Generic Building system, obtaining bgl files compiled from XML source.
This procedure takes me some time that I'd like to reduce.
some questions:
- can I put the bgl file of the obtained library in an activated addon scenery folder?
- It does not need any texture in addition to the default ones already in FS9/Texture folder?
:) I thank you in advance waiting for your kind reply
best regards
;) Aldo

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

- can I put the bgl file of the obtained library in an activated addon scenery folder?

Yes, you normally put the library BGL in the scenery folder of the project that it belongs to. Only if the library is used in many addons, it is better to place it in a special libraries scenery folder.

- It does not need any texture in addition to the default ones already in FS9/Texture folder?

Correct, if it only uses default textures, the sim will find them.

Country
italy

Attachments

• libreria-edifici_v0.jpg
    libreria-edifici_v0.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Country
germany
Is there a way to keep the nice mdl names? (FS9 user)

I always get
libname.bgl 001,
libname.bgl 002,
libname.bgl 003,

and so on...

in ADE9.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No, those are not saved in the BGL file. It would be nice if ADE read the txt file that sometimes accompanies library BGL files, but AFAIK it does not.

Country
unitedstates
Hi all,

Just to let you know that a beta version of Library Creator XML 3.0 is now available. It is part of the development releases package of my tools.

This new version has the following changes:
  • New user interface
  • Simplified saving (XML and BGL saved from same place)
  • Option to load a MDL from Library Creator XML into ModelConverterX

The changes I made now also will allow me to add support for reading BGL files soon. And I also have plans for more integration with ModelConverterX.

Arno, I suspect the obvious question may have already been asked, so dont shoot the messenger, but would like to know if there are plans to support P3Dv3? And in the mean time, can / should I point to the P3Dv2 bglcomp or ??

Thanks for a FANTASTIC piece of work...it REALLY helps the neophyte like me!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

As far as I know there is no difference between the P3D v2 and v3 BGLComp compilers. So there is no need for Library Creator XML to see them as two different versions. If such differences appear in the future they will be supported as different versions.

Country
germany
Is there a way to keep the nice mdl names? (FS9 user)

I always get
libname.bgl 001,
libname.bgl 002,
libname.bgl 003,
Ten years after the same problem.

Now I habe a solution:
I create "single model libs" and name the lib like the model name :)

So I can add them in ADE and find them by the nice model name ...