• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Library Objects??

Country
unitedstates
Last week i intsalled Win7 and ADE 1.70 on this computer.

How do I copy the object library from ADE 1.6 to ADE 1.7?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wx

Country
newzealand
Bob,
are you talking about the "GenericBuildings" and the "big_thumbnail_pack"
just copy these 2 folders from 1.6 to 1.7 and overwrite the ones in 1.7
same with the "Models" folder if you had any in 1.6

Country
unitedstates
I'm talking about the "Library Objects" I have accumulated over many years.

I found the Thumbnails.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I assume you mean the listing of files in the Library Object Manager? Looks like they're in files in each of the sim's folders.

adeObjectList.dat
adeObjectList_base.dat

Back up first, in case the newer version uses a different format.

Hope this helps,

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
To be clear there are two different things here. ADE does not store the actual library objects. It stores information about them. As Tom says this information is in adeObjectList.dat and the base data for a sim is on the _base file. If you just want your library object data from1.6 to 1.7 then follow the advice from Ray and Tom and copy the dat file across.

If you have libraries of objects then you may not have the information in ADE. The actual objects are stored in library object bgl files and these need to be located in an active scenery area along with their textures. If you are looking for your actual libraries then it is hard to help. If you know where they are and just want to put their information into ADE so you can place them then that is much easier.

Country
unitedstates
Over the past many years I have accumulated scenery object in my ADE using the ADE Library Obect Manager.

I just want to have the same objects available in ADE 1.7 that I had in ADE 1.65.

What do I need to move from ADE 1.65 to ADE 1.7?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

Country
newzealand
Is this what you are looking for Bob,
click on tools (top left), then you can add either a folder or a single file

Attachments

• LOM.JPG
    LOM.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 166

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bob, assuming this is for FSX go to the FSX folder inside the 1.6 installation folder and find the file called adeObjectList.dat Copy it to the FSX folder inside the 1.7 installation folder replacing the file that is there. Then start ADE. You should see the objects listed.

Country
unitedstates
I have copied the files from 1.65 to 1.7.

That did not fix the problem!

In 1.65 i have hundreds of custom objects that 1.7 does not know about.

These were entered manually with the Library Object Manager.

Along tme ago I was able to transfer these objects from 1.60 to 1.65 but I don't remember how.

The objects I am having problems with show as BLACK spots in 1.7

In the earlier versions I broke up the Object Library into multiple sub catagories. 1.7 does not know about these sub catagories.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Did you copy the file across that I suggested?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
What is the location (folder) of the library objects in LOM pointing to? That where the GUID ID (pictures of the objects) should be, if I remember correctly.

Country
unitedstates
ADE 1.65 has a "THUMBNAILS" folder. The thumbnails are there.

I assume I need to copy this folder to 1.7.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am still concerned as to what is happening here. If library objects show up in the sim but have no thumbnail then it is the thumbnail folder which is needed. On the other than if the objects appear in the sim as black boxes then it means that the information about them is not in the Library Object Manager and that means they are also not in the file adeObjectList.dat That is the file that the LOM uses to to display the information. There is another way to do this but I want to be sure that you have a clean installation for version 1.7 I assume from the previous post that you installed ADE 1.70. This is not actually the current version of ADE which is 1.76.

If you create a clean installation of 1.7 then you can import the settings from 1.65 into it which should include the data files. There are some minor issues with the import function but I think it is better that you try this than copying files and folder.

When you start the clean 1.7 then you should get presented with the new user wizard

1576510160648.png

This has an option to import settings from an earlier version of ADE. Click the button

1576510244617.png

Use the '...' button to select the folder to import from. I show the path to my version of 1.65

Also you will see a list of the different things that can be imported. I would suggest not importing the Project Settings Folder and the Lister Settings Folder - uncheck them. These are two areas which have been known to cause problems in the past.

Then click Import and let it do its work. Finally close and restart ADE and hopefully you will have data on your library objects. But bear in mind it can only contain what was in the 1.65 installation folder

Country
unitedstates
Jon,

Thanks,

The version of 1.70 I had would not start the New User Wizard. I uninstalled and reinstalled three times with no luck.

So I downloaded the current production version and now ALL IS WELL. At least as far as the Object Library is concerned!

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

Country
unitedstates
I'm sure glad it worked! I sent a lot of time building this parts library!

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa