• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Lighting Illumination Failed in P3Dv3[SOLVED]

Country
malaysia
Hi,Im still new in Scenery development.I developing WMKP(penang int airport).I want to make the taxi edge light,but the illumination texture did appear when the view is overlapped with my ground poly.If its not overlapped by any ground poly,then its visible.Just like the image i attached.I used blender to do all the modelling and ps cs6 t do all the texturing.Any idea on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 16650825_1469827046361289_1181467456_o.png
    16650825_1469827046361289_1181467456_o.png
    790.4 KB · Views: 597
Country
us-florida
By design a ground polygon is drawn after just about everything else. This means that it covers landclass textures, photo real imagery, default runways, taxiways, aprons, runway edge lights, and taxiway edge lights and probably other things that I am leaving out. You will need to use some other form of lighting that will show over your ground polygon. If you look through the Wiki you will see tutorials on some of the other options.

Country
malaysia
By design a ground polygon is drawn after just about everything else. This means that it covers landclass textures, photo real imagery, default runways, taxiways, aprons, runway edge lights, and taxiway edge lights and probably other things that I am leaving out. You will need to use some other form of lighting that will show over your ground polygon. If you look through the Wiki you will see tutorials on some of the other options.

Does that means my lightin textur is being blocked by the gp?

Country
us-florida
From the your picture it looks like that is what is happening. You can try raising your light models a slight amount above the ground level to see if that improves things. I don't have P3D so I can't say exactly what is happening.

Country
malaysia
From the your picture it looks like that is what is happening. You can try raising your light models a slight amount above the ground level to see if that improves things. I don't have P3D so I can't say exactly what is happening.

It was ok in FSX though.Only in P3d this problem occur.Tried using both fsx and p3d sdk.attached image is from fsx.
16651045_1469804873030173_411385681_o.png

Country
us-florida
Two things more. First I believe that P3D v3 treats ground polygons differently than earlier versions. This may be causing the result. Secondly from your P3D image on the lights that are blocked by the ground polygon the texture that lights the ground at the base of the light is missing completely. This may be a clue as to what is happening.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
What Ed describes is quite a common issue occurring with P3D rendering ground polys:

I assume the light splashes do not Z-test alpha?
In that case they don't render in front of any other object with a material other than basic solid. (in both of the sims)

As P3D seems to render ground polygons as normal objects this issue occurs while FSX uses the legacy "ground call" which just seems to work differently.

There are a few possible solutions:
  1. Use an extra version for P3D with alpha testing. P3D does a better job blending a material against itself so that edgy border look shouldn't occur
  2. SimObjects have better quality Z-buffering and therefor always blend where they actually are. So placing the lights with SODE can solve this. For performance reasons I'd recommend to merge them into one model for that.
  3. Attach an effect instead of the light polygon. This works for small airfields, because it's quite performance consuming it is not recommended for large airports.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Country
malaysia
What Ed describes is quite a common issue occurring with P3D rendering ground polys:

I assume the light splashes do not Z-test alpha?
In that case they don't render in front of any other object with a material other than basic solid. (in both of the sims)

As P3D seems to render ground polygons as normal objects this issue occurs while FSX uses the legacy "ground call" which just seems to work differently.

There are a few possible solutions:
  1. Use an extra version for P3D with alpha testing. P3D does a better job blending a material against itself so that edgy border look shouldn't occur
  2. SimObjects have better quality Z-buffering and therefor always blend where they actually are. So placing the lights with SODE can solve this. For performance reasons I'd recommend to merge them into one model for that.
  3. Attach an effect instead of the light polygon. This works for small airfields, because it's quite performance consuming it is not recommended for large airports.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Can you explain more about the 1st solution?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Set "Z-Test Alpha" to true, the alpha test value so say 12 (play with it until satisfied) and the Alpha Test Function to "Greater". That's it.
What modeling program do you use btw?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
After check theitem in blender for the material alpha test then enable z-test alpha and set to greater in mcx?is it correct?
You can do it all in Blender provided you export directly to FSX/P3D format. Otherwise it has to be done in MCX

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
One last tip: give that lightbulb a nightmap too where it is illuminated. Looks much more realistic;)

Country
greece
Is it possible to have the material settings you used via MCX? A screenshot would be fine.
Thanks in advance

-=Manwlo=-

Country
greece
Thanks a lot! Just another clarification. In FSX version I used a dummy texture to represent day (destination and source blend set to one) and it worked perfectly. In P3D I get the desired result only with the texture set as diffuse which makes the lights also illuminate during day...

In simple words can I have the other half of the settings you use to see the whole picture? :wave:

-=Manwlo=-