• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Lights below ground polys

Country
us-ohio
Would it be a good idea to increase the height of the default runway so that lights are above the custom runway ground poly and therefore are visible? Would there be any unintended consequences such as taxiway distortion or ai aircraft "floating" above the runway?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
It does not work that way. Ground poly has more priority over default runway by AFCAD/ADE file. No mater how you elevate the default, you cannot see the light over ground poly.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You have at least three choices:

1, Cut little holes in your ground polygon to allow the lights to shine.
2. Use small round black dots in the texture's alpha channel to make holes in the ground poly. If you make them gray dots the holes will be only semi-transparent so they are not so obvious.
3. Use 3D lights or (possibly) other techniques to place lights on top of the ground poly.

Country
norway
My ground poly aprons made with ADE hides my lighting polys. For now, I have solved this "quick'n'dirty" by using effects instead for my four airports in question.

Hi,
I was convinced I had explained how to solve this problem in some of those earlier threads but apparently not?
Alright then, once more:
Do not use effects but use textures and make sure that those (light) textures are given a Z-bias that is (depending on the P3D version) either higher or lower than your top groundpoly layer/Z-bias.

;)

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Yes, Roby. Jason z, please read the Wiki. Effect causes a hard hit on FPS, even you decrease to only one emitter.
Texture with light and good material setting is much better.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Thank you, but as I use P3D4 using assembly code is out of question.
There is more than effect placement. The lght texture is a very good method in P3D as well. Please read the reference of each method. Each one will lead to the thread about how to do it.