• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Linux - general discussion

Country
australia
Good luck getting anything playable from a modern directX game under Linux distro/wine :)
I gave up..... now I use Linux distros for my media players and NAS setups, Windows for gaming its just easier :)
Wozza

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I think they explicitely recommend to use installers from your
distribution. For Ubuntu I've found somewhere at x-plane.org
forum an installer to get the latest driver.

I've followed this:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Upgrades

No: Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends are !

Linux - the chick among operating systems.

At least I got 'er purring now.

Yea me too look here: http://fgfs.sgier.com/
I'm currently looking into: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Howto:_convert_objects_from_MSFS
as the script messes up my objects.

I wish there was a way to import planes from MSFS...especially the AI.

A flight plan conversion script shouldn't be too hard to do, I guess.

Good luck getting anything playable from a modern directX game under Linux distro/wine :)

Hey, Kerbal Space Program works. And this game ist just in development. :D

I gave up..... now I use Linux distros for my media players and NAS setups, Windows for gaming its just easier :)

If only there was a way to quick switch between Linux and Windows (no VM allowed), or to have a "Windows light", without all the unnecessary stuff.

- Edit: There's a new version of WINE out. Of course without the FSX patch. But with the compile bug that prevents patching the source yourself. [Curses].

Last edited:
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If only there was a way to quick switch between Linux and Windows (no VM allowed), or to have a "Windows light", without all the unnecessary stuff.

I use XPlite which even allowed me to get rid of Internet Explorer. My XP installation is lobotomized to provide a lean and mean developer's machine. :)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I use XPlite which even allowed me to get rid of Internet Explorer. My XP installation is lobotomized to provide a lean and mean developer's machine. :)

Ugh, XP...no, thanks.

Creating a customized nLite-Version of 7 doesn't sound too bad though.

Wozza

I've everything running perfectly on Ubuntu as mentioned above, but I must admit that I'm not a big gamer anymore. I rather do something alike mmann, shrink Windows on my next hardware update to the minimum. I only reboot OSX86 or Vista to recompile stuff or test in IE.

Heretic, so you got FSX running? Cool.

Last edited:
Well, it "runs", but looks extremely fugly.

You can set antialiasing etc. globally from nvidia-settings. I don't see any differences on my PC.

Arno: Cool for converting freeZ etc. Useless for me as my conversions are heavily modified.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
You can set antialiasing etc. globally from nvidia-settings. I don't see any differences on my PC.

Yeah, didn't do that.

"Fugly" actually meant that planes don't have textures; trees don't have alpha channels and there's weird fogging.
Probably DirectX-related.

Yeah, didn't do that.

"Fugly" actually meant that planes don't have textures; trees don't have alpha channels and there's weird fogging.
Probably DirectX-related.

With my very first Wine compilations, I've experienced weird effects as well and it took me a while to understand that I didn't fullfill all wine dependent libs. Wine also compiles with half of the libs missing...you might be compiling for pong or such?
There's a complete how to page to follow exactly, again simple on Ubuntu, no idea about other distros.

When compiling is fine, FSX looks exactly the same as on
Windoze.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
With my very first Wine compilations, I've experienced weird effects as well and it took me a while to understand that I didn't fullfill all wine dependent libs. Wine also compiles with half of the libs missing...you might be compiling for pong or such?
There's a complete how to page to follow exactly, again simple on Ubuntu, no idea about other distros.

Been there, read it, got all the libs.

When compiling is fine, FSX looks exactly the same as on
Windoze.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :D

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Next try. Disabled all installed DirectX bits via Winetricks, installed the standard DirectX redist. No joy at all. The UI ist still black, just like the planes.

If you make any mistakes remove .wine (in your home directory) and start all over again. Quick and clean.

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Good to know. Too bad I can't try it. (FSX PC is in storage and the laptop can't even run FlightGear properly.)

In any case, I've switched from Xubuntu to ArchLinux on this machine and I'm a very happy camper. Will do the same for my PC once I have the space to set it up again.

Country
germany
I need to fix a few issues before it can run on Linux as well.

Obviously, this thread is very old :), but since I couldn't find anything newer about it: did you pursue this project?

Actually I'm doing most development work on my Windows PC and there is no urgent need for a Linux version of MCX. For some development operations, however, I have already been using my Linux system (Mint 19) for a while, especially for recompiling large sceneries (resample.exe and TMFViewer from both P3Dv1 and v4 work flawlessly in Wine). Sometimes, when I have an external drive with scenery projects connected to the Linux machine for these purposes, it would be nice if I could also use MCX at least as an MDL viewer. In Mint the recent MCX releases still won't work with the latest Wine version at all. On the other hand, a fully functional genuine Linux version with the ability to export would only make sense if MCX could get access to the SDK (installed within Wine). I assume, the same applies to ScenProc, which would be great as a Linux version, too.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Meanwhile, my Arch Linux installations (latop and desktop) are still working (albeit seldomly used) and my mother has been using Ubuntu on her laptop for years.

However, I've never tried to make FSX and associated tools work again. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I used to build my tools using mono, but I stopped with that. I dont think they will run well under wine. Especially the graphics things in MCX will cause issues I think. Since I only have windows machines here now I don't try it under Linux anymore.