• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

LivingWorld autogen source

Country
france
Hi folks,

Attached is the XML source of autogen for the livingworld feature of FSX. I know it is not directly related to mesh or terrain system, but the way it's done is more similar to autogen subsystem than A.I. aircrafts :rolleyes:

For each region of the FSX world (A-Z) it contains references to models (either GUID or simobject title) of road vehicles, boats, and airport ground vehicles used in this region and also relative weights. (But no animals)
It also contains informations relative to road traffic (global density, driving side, vehicle speeds, etc)

If you modify it, you should recompile to original format (SPB) using the following command. First copy the source XML file to the SimProp directory of the SDK (Core Utilities Kit/SimProp) and then :

simpropcompiler 2spb -symbols X:\FSX\propdefs\*.xml LWcfg.xml LWcfg.spb

Then copy back LWcfg.spb into FSX root directory. It seems that a copy of this file is also kept into Application Data/Microsoft/FSX and used instead of the default file. So replace/remove it.

View attachment LWcfg.zip

Hi
I try conveter XML to Spb but nothing happened.
I didn´t understand about this line
simpropcompiler 2spb -symbols X:\FSX\propdefs\*.xml LWcfg.xml LWcfg.spb

Could you explain better for me please?

Thanks

Country
australia
is there any further information about what defines the vehicle speeds? i'm working on a project that having that info would be useful...

Country
france
LWcfg defines speed for vehicles that don't have containers, ie freeway traffic.

Otherwise a maximum speed is defined in each vehicle container files , for instance in sim.cfg in each subdirectory of SimObjects/GroundVehicles.
Code:
[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 115     
acceleration_constants = 0.3, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration
deceleration_constants = 0.2, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration
But this is only the maximum speed. For airport vehicles (pusback tugs, bagage carts, etc) the speed is limited to ~30 knots. I don't know if you can change it. If this is like FS9 AI taxi speed, it's hardcoded somewhere in a DLL.

Country
australia
Yeah I know the max speed entry in the sim.cfg files, the thing I'm trying to understand is what part of the lwdcfg.xml defines the speed...

I only see entries for 1,2,3,4,5 etc and there's no info in the SDK's for how to define a freeway speed...

That's the part I'm trying to work on, but the only choice I have right now is trial and error... It's unfortunate the living world stuff has no docuementation at all in the new SDK's...

If there's a way to set max speeds for certain types of roads then we'll be able to make some city street traffic as well, but I need to be able to get the speeds down to a 35-45mph speed...

Changing the sim.cfg files won't help with that and would unfortunately have a negative effect on the way traffic behaves on all 'freeways'...

Wish there was slightly more information on certain new aspects of the sim...

Oh and the sim.cfg and freeways (aka lwdcfg.xml) both interact, the speed in sim.cfg affects the vehicles and the way they move, but the lwdcfg.xml defines the 'freeway' speeds at which they travel, or at least that's the word from the developers.

Anyway what I need to be able to do is define the freeway speeds...

Last edited:
Country
france
You could change the TrafficSpeed entry in LWCfg, but it will alter the speed for all vehicles in an entire region.
Although there are different physical types of roads in the terrain system, there is only one kind of traffic that could be applied to them. Thus all modifications to freeway traffic models or speed are global to a region.
One idea is to alter the region layout to introduce "logical" regions, for instance limited to city limits. But this is definitively a bad idea since regions are also used by landclass textures, so you'll break up a lot of things. Moreover I'm not sure the number of regions that can be used is hard-limited to 26.

Since my previous experiments with boats and population density, my thoughts on the living world system is that it is clearly unfinished. I hoped we could do great things with it, like train traffic or generating animals. But actually we're stuck with minor tweaking of the existing features. :(

Country
australia
That still doesn't answer my question of *what* in the lwdcfg.xml defines the freeway speeds. :teacher:

You haven't told me anything I don't already know, what I'm looking for is what in the lwdcfg.xml defines the speed.

Country
france
Sorry I misread your original post
the speed is defined by <TrafficSpeed> elements inside <FreewayTraffic> blocks, ie :
Code:
                    <FreewayTraffic>
                                <TrafficSpeed>100.0</TrafficSpeed>
here 100.0 is the speed of vehicles. According to the SDK it is defined in kilometers per hour.