• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 LM Intends to Nick Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Never noticed this one before: http://www.prepar3d.com/dnpa_prepar3d.pdf It looks like LM is prepar 3 d'ing to tax the addon market.

"Agreement" means and includes all terms and conditions of this Prepar3D® Developer Network ("PDN") Program Agreement, including all Exhibits, amendments, the Program Guidelines and the PDN Website Terms of Use, all of which are incorporated herein by reference.

"Confidential Information" means the terms and conditions of this Agreement [!]

"Developer Services" means the products, technology and support services available to Developers as described in the Program Guidelines.

"Feature" means a capability created by Developer for providing additional functionality to the Product through Developer's participation in and subject to the requirements of this Agreement.

"Fee" means the non-refundable sum required to be paid by Developer to cover costs of Developer Services available under Program for the initial term or any renewal.

Gosh, I don't know, would a new airplane, or airport constitute "additional functionality"?

So I guess the only "fee" is the basic licensing one, $10-$20/month, or $200-$2300 in full for either Pro or Pro Plus, the wording seems predatory.

Last edited:

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
To put this in context, the document you are linking to is the agreement for the developer subscription. If you don't want to pay it, you are of course free to purchase the product under one of the other license terms - Academic, Pro or Pro Plus.
I like it because it gets you two concurrent activations, so you can test on a system other than the one you compiled on.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Pretty sure you're only legal path to publish is through "acceptable use, " but since I'm no legal expert and duly licensed anyway, I'll let you decide.

prepar3d_zpsi5yvrjsk.jpg

Country
us-newyork
I'm pretty sure that language hasn't changed since V2 was released. There are two levels of membership in what LM calls its "Developers Network".

https://www.prepar3d.com/developers/

The first level is what Doug referred to in his post. You buy a developer's license and you're a member of the "club". The second level, which consists of select companies which hold a developer's license are entities that have signed a detailed NDA and beta test new P3d releases. I only know this second hand from discussing this topic with individuals that are in the closed beta program. I can ask if there is an additional fee but I've never heard them mention it.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
There is nothing "new" with this program. It's been in effect for at least four years now.

Country
us-ohio
Stick to being a 'polygonist'... seriously.

This thread needs to be locked before it disseminates misinformation and someone takes it as 'gospel'.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No, I just thought it was a good idea to close the thread. I seems to me that discussion of legal issues creates more heat than light. Just my opinion.

I was referring to the other Ed. :laughing:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The Ed's are part of that new free speech movement, so long as it's happy speech, right?

No one is discussing legal issues, actually. I wrote that it appears LM is preparing to tax developers. Nothing about sue, or tort, or subpoena or anything like that. Beyond that, after thoroughly reviewing the agreement, I edited my post, which seems pretty obvious but since some of us apparently missed it before that whole assumption becomes Gospel, let me show you that I added the terms of the supposed tax and wrote that it seems predatory.

WmSyVVK.jpg

I did this because the delete function was disabled and to me it seems disingenuous to make a statement that someone has had to read and then to not stand by it, even if I've since learned better. Since I am already being ingenuous, may I suggest to you Ed's, that if you do not like the topic of a post, that you go ahead and not comment on it? Thanks so much for considering my idea.

Dave_W

Resource contributor
Then there is this thread regarding the subject.

Particularly this part of the last sentence of reply #3 "and further discussion on this topic would be beyond the scope of this website." :stirthepo :twocents:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Not following the link, Dave. This is the "General Discussion" forum. This is the first time I have ever encountered the agreement and immediately commented on that observation. No one else has ever done that. Someone else may have encountered the agreement and come here to post on their own observations, but they could not possibly have posted on my observations. The fact seems obvious to me, but here I am having to clarify it to you, Dave.
I don't remember ever reading any post, or instruction, that warns me to not post about something I encounter related to development. Therefore, whatever thread you link to could only obliquely have anything to do with the content of this one and since I already know my observations so well, that other thread, almost certainly, would not improve my grasp of them.

I do see a lot of Dave's type of linking happening, in our general culture. Good thing this is the thread to discuss generalities. Ideas, as a commodity, are disappearing. Satire, I think, is the hardest hit. The latest trend is to link something the linker does not like to the growing list of taboo, or forbidden subjects. In the beginning, the list was pretty dramatic and obvious; hate, violence, genocide. The list is become less obvious, imo. I am seeing terms like "image abuse" and "online violence," which to me, a staunch supporter of communication - often, possibly misidentified as "free speech" - seem contradictory or mutually exclusive. A sentiment that some people will polarize into Weinstein apologism.
Dave apparently, is attempting to link this thread to discussions about legality of contracts, which certainly would be beyond the scope of this, or for that matter, any website. Again, for obvious reasons, but people that attempt these links, possibly intentionally, possibly unintentionally, overlook the mitigating facts. Cyber bullying has many guises.

Anyway Dave, I decline the link and evoke my right to define your "malice linking" (almost anyone can create these divisive terms), simply on the basis of the stir the pot emoticon and please read more carefully, it really helps comprehension.
and further discussion on this topic would be beyond the scope of this website."
That topic.

Country
us-ohio
Like I said... this needs to be locked. Your responses are exactly why I recommend it being locked, Mr. Keller. We're here in these forums to discuss actual development and share/help/assist one another. We are not here to discuss any topic in an aggressive and antagonistic manner.
Your OP makes claims that are based on your personal interpretation of a document of which you may or may not have known of it's origin and applicability. Your conclusions regarding said document were incorrect. Your OP was written, as was the choice of titles, in a manner to rail against a 'great wrong' that you had found.
Your subsequent posts rail that your 'free speech' is being repressed while at the same time you suggest others not participate with their 'free speech' if it doesn't align with yours.
@Dave_W is correct... your discussion is "beyond the scope of this website".

In short... you started a thread to pick a fight with L-M and when no one wanted to join in, you went after them instead. Like I've already stated... needs to be locked.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I stopped reading at "you," but I get the impression that you changed you mind, Ed - you may call me Rick, btw, if it's easier, but I do appreciate the time you take to type out those extra letters out of formal respect. Another thing I appreciate is when somebody comes to their senses and not only that, but steps up and admits they've been mistaken or rude. You see, when I suggested you maintain the internet level of moral conduct and not comment on threads of which you don't approve, I really thought that would be the last of it, but I see I was mistaken (admittedly). Obviously you've had an epiphany and have decided to recant your position, which I, of course, accept. Because you certainly wouldn't be here to troll and those are the only two reasons you might post on this thread, Ed.

Let me give you a little FYI to help you look a little less "yucky." Try to avoid using the word "you." As in the case of the yucky comment, adding the personal pronoun makes it less of an observation and more of a projection. Also, try to not predict your victims motivations. It is easy to write, "you committed this nefarious act to accomplish this evil agenda," but it is so easy for the victim to reply with admirable motivations that the bounce back can be harmful to your attack - and reputation.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Sorry gents, but I do have to lock the thread. It's gotten a bit too personal.

The best way to deal with someone's posts rubbing you the wrong way is to'ignore' them in your user preferences, rather than prolonging an argument. Personal messaging is also an option, but the same rules of civility would need to be applied. Agree to disagree when an impasse is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.