• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Load new scenery package without restarting sim

Country
italy
Blender2MSFS is the last problem

I don’t know but are u sure to have used the SimpleScenary? and not SimpleAirport! I fixed my bug using this package!

Try to open project and select the .bgl, open Inspector and set a new name of scenery. Build packages!
Load in editor, modify something, in scenery windows save the scenery.
Build packages again, just to be sure
Reboot FS2020 and....Good Luck

Roberto C.

Try before using the object3D without texture!

Roberto C.

Country
germany
Try before using the object3D without texture!

Roberto C.
I made some progress but I'm still not quite there. I managed to export a simple cube object with a single assigned material (albedo, Metallic and normal map) into the sim. When I built the package from the dev mode in the sim, restarted and selected the bgl, the cube showed up and could be placed but was without textures. Then I tried a method suggested in another thread, by compiling the files not within the simulator dev mode but by dragging the xml file onto the fspackagetool.exe from the SDK/tools/bin folder. This gave me a package complete with a texture folder containing the compiled dds files. I restarted the sim and to my amazement the cube showed up in-Sim complete with textures and all.
So I tried to do the same with my actual scenery models but there it failed again. I took the least complex object from my scenery, a small shack with three materials assigned, and exported it exactly the same way as the cube. Used the fspackagetool.exe on the xml aaaaand... Nothing. I got the following error messages from the tool:

Failed to load model xxx
Failed to spawn gltflister for input file xxx
Failed to spawn lister for asset group mymodellib

So unless I find a way how to rebuild my whole scenery with cubes, I'm still not getting anywhere.

Country
italy
I made some progress but I'm still not quite there. I managed to export a simple cube object with a single assigned material (albedo, Metallic and normal map) into the sim. When I built the package from the dev mode in the sim, restarted and selected the bgl, the cube showed up and could be placed but was without textures. Then I tried a method suggested in another thread, by compiling the files not within the simulator dev mode but by dragging the xml file onto the fspackagetool.exe from the SDK/tools/bin folder. This gave me a package complete with a texture folder containing the compiled dds files. I restarted the sim and to my amazement the cube showed up in-Sim complete with textures and all.
So I tried to do the same with my actual scenery models but there it failed again. I took the least complex object from my scenery, a small shack with three materials assigned, and exported it exactly the same way as the cube. Used the fspackagetool.exe on the xml aaaaand... Nothing. I got the following error messages from the tool:

Failed to load model xxx
Failed to spawn gltflister for input file xxx
Failed to spawn lister for asset group mymodellib

So unless I find a way how to rebuild my whole scenery with cubes, I'm still not getting anywhere.

Are u able to use Substance Painter? I’ve fixed the problem with it! If you need a help to export from it tell me and I’ll try to make a little tutorial!

Roberto C.

Country
russia
Are u able to use Substance Painter? I’ve fixed the problem with it! If you need a help to export from it tell me and I’ll try to make a little tutorial!

Roberto C.

Hello, Roberto! Can I watch your lesson? I have the same problem. The textured object is not assembled. No texture is fine
glTFLister | Failed to load model:
ModelLibLister | Failed to spawn the gltfLister for input file
PackageBuilder | Failed to spawn lister for asset group mymodellib (type ArtProj)

Country
germany
Hello, Roberto! Can I watch your lesson? I have the same problem. The textured object is not assembled. No texture is fine
glTFLister | Failed to load model:
ModelLibLister | Failed to spawn the gltfLister for input file
PackageBuilder | Failed to spawn lister for asset group mymodellib (type ArtProj)
Did you select the object in blender before exporting?

Country
australia
going back to the original question, I've asked ChatGPT about refreshing scenery in MSFS via a simconnect command. It came back with Simconnect C++ code:

Code:
HRESULT hr;
hr = SimConnect_ExecuteCommand(hSimConnect, SIMCONNECT_EXEC_APP_RELOAD_AIRPORT);

this is the info it also gave:

In this example, a new instance of SimConnect is created with the name "Refresh Scenery". The ExecuteCommand method is then used to send the SIMCONNECT_EXEC_APP_RELOAD_AIRPORT command, which will reload the current airport and its surroundings in the simulator. Finally, the Dispose method is called to clean up the SimConnect connection.

I'm not sure if this will also cause other scenery to refresh or just the airport nearby

Country
ca-ontario
Stupid question: where would I paste this code into when I'm editing my scenery, in order to refresh it? Never used Simconnect code before.

Country
australia
Stupid question: where would I paste this code into when I'm editing my scenery, in order to refresh it? Never used Simconnect code before.

You'd have to write a simconnect module in Visual Studio IDE, I've not written anything for SimConnect as yet, but ChatGPT can give code samples. I'm still exploring other parts of the MSFS SDK's at the moment, someone else may be able to answer that for you.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
HRESULT hr;
hr = SimConnect_ExecuteCommand(hSimConnect, SIMCONNECT_EXEC_APP_RELOAD_AIRPORT);
This is a typical ChatGPT response when it has no clue. It simply makes up an answer. (It lies.) There is no SIMCONNECT_EXEC_APP_RELOAD_AIRPORT

Country
australia
This is a typical ChatGPT response when it has no clue. It simply makes up an answer. (It lies.) There is no SIMCONNECT_EXEC_APP_RELOAD_AIRPORT

lol dag nab it, it's been doing everything else I've asked it to do, I started to trust it's responses lol. I should have known better, I listed every variable for FSW in the game design docs... :p

There is however a deprecated REFRESH_SCENERY reference in the MSFS SDK, the question is what has it been replaced by?

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
There is however a deprecated REFRESH_SCENERY reference in the MSFS SDK, the question is what has it been replaced by?
Just not replaced, Dean. I think it presents a security problem for the sim? Or maybe Asobo just doesn't want spend the time to figure the coding out.