• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Lockheed Martin licenses Microsoft ESP platform

Country
puertorico
The obvious question - is there an "entertainment" fallout to the agreement, or is it strictly the commercial (gov't/industrial) applications of ESP?

Curious minds want to know...

In the meantime can we unjustifyingly speculate on a LockheedMartin/Micorosft FSXI, with no Boeing a/c, expanded Airbus fleets, especially an A330 based tanker, and an accurate JSF?

:)

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Country
peru
ESP support

How will Microsoft give support to Lockheed about ESP if the ESP developers no longer work for Microsoft?

Did Microsoft sell the ESP source code to Lockheed?

That source code shouldn't be frozen.

Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Perú

Country
us-virginia
Hey Alfredo,

We haven't all left MS yet :-> I'm Lockheed's single point of contact for support, and anything I can't answer myself, I can reach out to other ex-ACES folks still inside MS. Lockheed's license did include source code and the right to create derivative works.

Country
us-florida
that's great news thanks for sharing! Hopefully sometime in the near future Lockheed will open some simulation related positions for developers:D I've been dying to work for them and nothing is better than a shift from their part towards an area in which I already have some experience:D

Country
puertorico
Tim - I actually like the arrangment, even if there's nothing in it for the entertainment user/hobbyist (although I can see there is a spot in the mix for many of the flightsim top end developers).

For me, it's a case of Microsoft saying "here's my recipe for a really neat apple pie, but I'm not going to keep on improving it. I'll let you rent the recipe, and you can make it better, and give me a piece of the pie."

Now, Lockheed Martin takes that recipe, and plays around with it, and it becomes, not Microsoft's apple pie, but Lockheed's pie with a "Microsoft crust".

Let's say Boeing wants to make an apple pie and also rents Microsoft's recipe. At first, the Boeing and Lockheed apple pies may look and taste the same, but after a few rounds in the testing kitchens of each, they'll almost be unrelated, except for that really tasty Microsoft secret seasoning...

Unfortunately, I'll have to settle (gee what a sacrifice) with Microsoft's original apple pie, and maybe get a tast of the pies from the smaller bakeries around (X-plane, Flight gear...)

I regret that we (the hobbyist) won't - anytime soon - be treated to the working independent suspension vehicles that was to come with ESP2.

But we can hope and dream, and after all, that's what's pushed this hobby through the years!

Country
australia
Tim I'm stoked... Can't wait to get the license... Would love to talk with you guys about some tech development as well...

Country
italy
Does anybody know if they will make clouds to cast shadows on the ground?

Thanks
G

Country
us-virginia
Tim I'm stoked... Can't wait to get the license... Would love to talk with you guys about some tech development as well...

Hey Hollywood,

The online store is up and running now. If you just want a copy to investigate the development opportunities, the Prepar3d Developer Network (PDN) subscription is a better deal than a straight up seat license. The PDN is $9.95 a month and you get two licenses, you could pay for the subscription for 4 years for the cost of one seat license - of course, you would still need to buy seat licenses for any solution instances you sold to clients (which is a much better arrangment than MS had with ESP, where you had to have your clients contact MS Volume Sales to buy their seat licenses).

The SDK is also available for download on the site for free.

You can send an email to enquires@prepar3d.com if your questions aren't something you can ask in a public forum, otherwise you can just post a question on our forums.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Tim, snagged it Nov 1-2 :)

Definitely worth the PDN subscription and the pricing for the client seats is also very good.

I did have some challenges with my Guam based VISA card in ordering, but used my Hawaiian VISA card instead. Just a heads up :)

Lefteris Kalamaras

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Country
greece
You can send an email to enquires@prepar3d.com if your questions aren't something you can ask in a public forum, otherwise you can just post a question on our forums.

Hi Tim,

I sent a message a while ago to enquiries, as well as to yourself... never got any replies to either.

Could you care to contact me directly at (lkalamaras) (at) (flightsimlabs) (dot) (com) ?

Thanks!