• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Looking at VisibilityCondition vs UserDefined

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi Arno,

I know you mentioned that you would like to get the VisibilityCondition setting in Options/Importer Settings to work without breaking the animations. As others have said before, FSX and later animations appear to be in one long chain and if that is broken they collapse, often into the center of the plane.

I have found that when I use my tutorial to convert an FS2004 aircraft to FSX format, all the animations end up linked to a non-animated part. I remember that when FSX was new people animating the plane using GMAX could only get them to work by linking them to a non-animated part.

When I use UserDefined I assume this is what happens in MCX as well. An example:

mcx_user_defined.jpg

The line down from the first ScenGraphNode only connects only to the Crash Tree. The line down from the first ModelPart (which is not animated) connects only to other non-animated parts. The next SceneGraphNode contains all the animated parts, thus all animations are linked to a non-animated part.

Here is the result of the Import of an FS2004 aircraft using VisibilityCondition and then Exporting to FSX format:

mcx_visibility_condition.jpg

This plane's animations have broken and many parts have become displaced. Note that there is no ModelPart between the top of the list and the animated parts, and thus I assume they are not "anchored" in place. In fact this appears similar to the listing of the original FS2004 model, which apparently needs no animation chain. So perhaps this is the problem with the VisibilityCondition setting - it is not handling the animated parts as FSX (and later sims I assume) need them to be arranged?

So if you ever get back to this problem, I hope this will give you somewhere to start.

Take care,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are they only broken in the sim or also in MCX? MCX does not require a static modelpart at the root of the animations. But maybe the sim does so.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

They look fine in MCX, it's only in the sim that the animations are broken.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, thanks. I can try to ensure that everything is under a model part.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I believe the whole circumstance of the "root node issue," evolved from a tutorial that I originally found linked from Hovercontrol, which has since been broken. It may have even been the original FSDesign Studio version, sorry to guess. In my interpretation, the author had established the need for an original parent part, that was distinct from the model and unique to the animation chain. This way, presumably, the model could be edited fundamentally and the animations would remain true to their original orientation.
This is only a guess, but whatever the reason for this node dependency, it does not seem to be a requirement, because the use of this root parent part is not universal among FS2004 models, but it is very common.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
FS2004 does not seem to have such a requirement, but FSX might?