• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Lua or gauge to perform trim inputs under few conditions

Country
bulgaria
Hello, community. I was trying to modify an aircrat's flight dynamics so it would be able to pitch down once thrust is cut during the flare. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to achieve the desired effect. I then decided to cheat fsx by creating a lua or a gauge that will trim nose down by several units only when:
1. Aircraft is 0.1 to 100ft agl
2. thrust is set to idle

So, is this possible and where do i start? Have someone done something similar? I have no knowledge in writing lua nor creating dummy gauges. Any advices are welcome

Best regards,
Vic

Country
us-michigan
Not sure if this will work because of not knowing if the airplane has spoilers in real life or not but....

you could code an XML gauge that if the throttle position is below X and a Y amount of feet above ground level, the spoilers would 'deploy'. You then could adjust the FDE to pitch down when deployed. If the airplane actually uses spoilers, then this will not be a good route.

There might be an easier method by adjusting the FDE as well, but I will let someone else chime in on that.

Greg

Country
bulgaria
Hi, Greg. Your idea is very good. Unfortunately, i have a 60ton jet in mind that is already equpped with spoilers.. I guess back to the drawing desk.. Thank you though.

Country
austria
I wrote an autoland gauge in XML in FS9. During Roll out trim will be set to neutral.

This is an excerpt of the gauge. Of course you have to adapt it to your conditions.

Code:
<!-- Trim Neutral -->
      (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knots) 80 &lt;
      17 18 (L:AP_AutoLnd_Status,number) rng      <!-- is used by my gauge ** define you own -->
      &amp;&amp;
      if{
        1 (&gt;L:DSD_TECH_TrimShort_SD,number)
        35 (&gt;L:ThrQ_Stab_Trim_ACT,percent)                                                                       <!-- this is the neutral position -->
        (L:ThrQ_Stab_Trim_ACT,percent) /-/ 163.84 * (&gt;K:AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET)                 <!--  and will be set here -->

(L:AP_AutoLnd_Status,number) 1 + 19 min (&gt;L:AP_AutoLnd_Status,number)
        }
      }

Edi

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
If your aircraft pitches nose down when thrust is reduced then, under those conditions, the thrust must be creating a nose up moment prior to reduction.
You could probably achieve what you wanted in the flare if you set up the thrust such that it created a nose-up moment.
In practice this is most likely with pod mounted under-wing engines. So I would start working on that and see what happens.
Remember though that the stock Record 400 increases CL through ground effect and that could mask the pitch down. You might try reducing 400 a little
Roy

Country
bulgaria
Many many thanks, guys.

Edi, i'll definitely check out the gauge you created. Definitely a start for me.

Roy, you are absolutely correct. The moment the engines are creating though isn't strong enough. I have to "move" the engines far below their real position in order to have the desired effect. I played with 400 a lot but unfortunately, it doesn't affect the pitch. Only rate. The only plausible feel i get is when the aircraft is below trim, hence my gauge/lua script idea.. Maybe i'm missing something though...

Thank you again,
Vic

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Vic,
If the thrust is insufficient to create the desired nose-up moment, the it may be that the drag is too low.
On the approach the induced drag is quite high especially with a swept wing.
And you can easily increase the flap drag. More realistic I think that artificially altering the engine position.
Have a look at Yves's excellent document "Flight Dynamics in MSFS". Page 36 deals with pitch moments due to propulsion, drag is on page 24 with Appendix 2 covering induced drag.
Roy

Country
bulgaria
Vic,
If the thrust is insufficient to create the desired nose-up moment, the it may be that the drag is too low.
On the approach the induced drag is quite high especially with a swept wing.
And you can easily increase the flap drag. More realistic I think that artificially altering the engine position.
Have a look at Yves's excellent document "Flight Dynamics in MSFS". Page 36 deals with pitch moments due to propulsion, drag is on page 24 with Appendix 2 covering induced drag.
Roy

Wow. Just wow. How could i miss that?! Thank you for providing me my new bible, Roy! I hope it will answer a lot of questions

Best Regards,
Vic