• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Make apron transparent/invisible

Country
unitedstates
This question has probably been asked a couple of times, but I have not found a solution yet.

I am trying to place some aprons all around the airport, generally were the taxiways are. So I finished editing the AFCAD for KRSW in ADE, and added a test apron to see if I could do this.
upload_2016-3-4_9-30-9.png

I was told to use the XML Apron to SurfaceType converter. But I don't think I know how to do this correctly. The first thing that I did was compile the airport as a .bgl, but the the XML Apron to SurfaceType converter requires a xml file of the airport, I think. So I took a look at the 'more options' tab on the compile page, and checked the Save XML with the Bgl File option.
upload_2016-3-4_9-35-45.png

Then I went to ModelConverterX and opened the XML Apron to SurfaceType converter and found the XML file that was saved with the bgl. Then I clicked convert. After this I saw that it had created a .sca file. I did not know what to do with this file, and I still don't know what to do with it.
upload_2016-3-4_9-45-45.png

So I decided to place it in the addon scenery folder with the bgl file. I don't think that was the correct thing to do, because it did nothing.

I really don't have a clue of how to make an invisible apron, but this is something I really need to learn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
What is it you feel needs to be changed about the test apron you placed with ADE? If you just want to smooth the surface of the terrain, why not just use a "flatten"?

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If you are overlaying the terrain with photoreal scenery, it shouldn't matter what type of terrain is underneath - so long as it doesn't generate autogen. Why not just underlay with LC_Cement or some other dust-free terrain and flatten if necessary? (A transparent apron is effectively nothing more than a flatten at airport elevation.)

Don

Country
spain
don't know right now if a simple polygon with aphachannel applied to a texture to make it transparent and add a hard Surface with MCX will work. the mayor problema would be to place an invisible object somewhere. though I have right now another idea. just place a normal textured polygon. and then modify it making it invisible with the alphachannel a export to the library again. be sure the object have the same guid when exporting.

Country
us-florida
An apron path the correct length and width for the area should create a hard surface with no dirt and dust from the wheels.

Country
unitedstates
I inserted an apron path, and it worked perfectly. After that I placed my ground polygon that I made in Blender and it looked great.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Country
russia
Hi.

I'm having trouble making stock aprons and taxi/vehicle links invisible in FSX:SE.

I created them in ADE (P3Dv3 mode, latest ADE version) and unchecked "draw surface" checkboxes. In P3Dv3 they are indeed invisible, but in FSX:SE I can see all of them underneath my custom ground polys.

I'm using invisible aprons to make parts of my photo background "taxiable" without bumps and dust. And I need taxi/vehicle links for AI traffic. By the way, covering surface with Cement LC doesn't work - taxiing on it is still bumpy.

Is there another way to hide aprons/taxi links for sure? And I really, really wouldn't like to make separate versions for P3D and FSX just because of this.

RH3Ab1d.png

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
The draw surface check boxes are only active in P3D. The LM developers chose to add that capability. If you narrow your taxi paths you can remove the pavement showing but if you put a wheel past the edge of the taxi path you will see dirt and dust. Vehicle links will always draw a surface. You can't hide them. The only way for sure to hide them that I know of to hide everything is to cover everything with a ground polygon. This means that you create a model of the taxiway or apron and convert it into a ground polygon with MCX. This will be drawn on top of your photo scenery and taxiways/aprons. ADE contains a tool to make ground polygons also. You could check that to see if it would do what you need.

Country
russia
Thanks, Ed. Actually, I'm not surprised that there is no silver bullet, so I already did that tonight: moved aprons and taxi links under custom GP, and removed vehicle links (sad, but they are pretty much useless nowadays).

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It is one of the different types of taxi paths. These are intended to be used on aprons so they take the surface type but I don't think there is any restriction on using the elsewhere. I haven't looked at them for a long time but I am sure someone will put me right

If you are an ADE user then it is the second path selector button from the left

1588690555545.png